Northern Illinois University Shooting

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:
It's in your pocket (or wherever) and you're pissed... there ya' go. People don't have to be officially 'mentally ill' to lose self control.

Understood, but there's nothing stopping the student from beating a teacher to death (even a woman with a textbook could do it). There's nothing stopping the student from stabbing a teacher to death.

You somehow believe that a student carrying a gun is more likely to snap than another student. I'd like to see ANY proof of this.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:26 pm
I have no problem with guns. I own one myself.

BUT ......I was on campus last week walking to a class and a guy ahead of me was wearing an empty holster. I really found it very disturbing at first glance because I really didn't know it was empty. I started talking to him and he said he belonged to some pistol club there on campus. And as a protest to not being able to bring guns to school....they put these holsters on.

I can honestly say that I would not wanna be on any campus where it was ok to bring a gun. I don't see a whole helluva lotta good coming from that.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:30 pm
JustBrooke wrote:

I can honestly say that I would not wanna be on any campus where it was ok to bring a gun. I don't see a whole helluva lotta good coming from that.

Do you feel this way in the grocery store?
Do you feel this way in a bank?
Do you feel this way in a resturant?
Do you feel this way EVERYWHERE else.

There are 10's of millions of CCW permit holders in our nation. You don't know who has a gun and who doesn't. Why don't you feel scared everywhere else? Does being a gun free zone make you feel safer?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:09 pm
maporsche wrote :

Quote:
Understood, but there's nothing stopping the student from beating a teacher to death (even a woman with a textbook could do it).

i think that i might stand a chance defending myself against someone threatening me with a book .
unless you'd be carrying your gun in your hand ready to shoot at any time , you really have little chance of defending yourself against someone who wants to shoot you - by the time you pull your gun out of your pocket , you'd already have been shot - or if the assailant is walking behind you , you wouldn't have a chance at all , or you'd have to have eyes in the back of your head .

police officers are often enough shot and it's not because they don't have a gun , it's because the assailant fires FIRST !
hbg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:16 pm
Arming idiots only complicates the problem. I know several instructors, in more than one state. Most of those chomping at the bit to secretly carry a gun are disturbing individuals, as I have witnessed the process.

RH
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
hamburger wrote:
maporsche wrote :

Quote:
Understood, but there's nothing stopping the student from beating a teacher to death (even a woman with a textbook could do it).

i think that i might stand a chance defending myself against someone threatening me with a book .

YOU might be able to defend yourself, but what about that 105lb teacher down the hall being attacked by a 140lb women's volleyball player who just got a C- on her test.

Should that 105lb teacher fear for her life everytime she administer's a bad grade?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
Do you feel sake when you have to go to an ER?

Did you know that many ER doctors now carry guns?

Do you wonder why?

Exclamation
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:43 pm
It ain't the doc we're worried about, til something big happens. Mosta these jokers are not Doctors and such.

They are scared little men who need something to make them feel safe...

I hate having to watch one more segment of the group for twitchiness...

RH
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:44 pm
Rockhead wrote:
It ain't the doc we're worried about, til something big happens. Mosta these jokers are not Doctors and such.

They are scared little men who need something to make them feel safe...

I hate having to watch one more segment of the group for twitchiness...

RH

Am I a scared little man?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:45 pm
maporsche wrote :

Quote:
YOU might be able to defend yourself, but what about that 105lb teacher down the hall being attacked by a 140lb women's volleyball player who just got a C- on her test.

Should that 105lb teacher fear for her life everytime she administer's a bad grade?

so how about allowing everyone to be armed with a concealed book instead of a gun ?
would that be an acceptable solution ?

i would still be interested to know how you would defend yourself against an assailant shooting you in the back or who'd shoot you with a powerful rifle from some distance ?
would your concealed handgun be of much use ?

there is also the question of armed police officers being shot ; care to answer that question ?

perhaps we'll have to learn how to drive around in an armoured car and have armed guards surround us - perhaps some day it might come to that .
we'd be living on the same level as the rich people in pakistan , saudi-arabia and some central-american states . i'm sure it'll be a lot of fun .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:46 pm
maporsche wrote :

Quote:

so how about allowing everyone to be armed with a concealed book instead of a gun ?

i would still be interested to know how you would defend yourself against an assailant shooting you in the back or who'd shoot you with a powerful rifle from some distance ?
would your concealed handgun be of much use ?

there is also the question of armed police officers being shot ; care to answer that question ?

perhaps we'll have to learn how to drive around in an armoured car and have armed guards surround us - perhaps some day it might come to that .
we'd be living on the same level as the rich people in pakistan , saudi-arabia and some central-american states . i'm sure it'll be a lot of fun - at least for some people - but count me out .
hbg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:50 pm
I know a lot of folks who carry, but expanding that to include people who live in fear is ludicrous.

If you are afraid, buy a dog...

RH
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:50 pm
hamburger wrote:
maporsche wrote :

Quote:

I think you missed my point. Or you just chose not to address it.

Quote:

i would still be interested to know how you would defend yourself against an assailant shooting you in the back or who'd shoot you with a powerful rifle from some distance ? would your concealed handgun be of much use ?

If I were shot in the back I would not have been able to defend myself. If I were shot from some distance I would not have been able to defend myself.

However, this was not the case in either of the two most recent shootings. So, I'm curious why you bring it up.

Quote:

Sure, no where does anyone mention or say that just because someone carry's concealed that they are impervious to being harmed. Police officers are actually at a disadvantage here because they have to wear uniforms which paints a large target on their back.

Carrying a concealed weapon simply gives someone a fighting chance, as opposed to having little to no chance.

Why do you bring up these amateur questions?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:52 pm
Rockhead wrote:
I know a lot of folks who carry, but expanding that to include people who live in fear is ludicrous.

RH

I'm not expanding it to those who live in fear. I'm talking about expanding it to those who live on college campus'.

Are you following along?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:53 pm
more than you realize...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:00 pm
"Understood, but there's nothing stopping the student from beating a teacher to death (even a woman with a textbook could do it). There's nothing stopping the student from stabbing a teacher to death.

You somehow believe that a student carrying a gun is more likely to snap than another student. I'd like to see ANY proof of this."

Maporsche, I don't care what you'd like to see. I'm not invested in some endless argument with you. I gave my opinion, that a student with a gun who snaps can cause major harm from firepower (not to mention the general chilling of community connectivity, another whole subject, just by strutting around carrying and twitching).
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
ossobuco wrote:
"Understood, but there's nothing stopping the student from beating a teacher to death (even a woman with a textbook could do it). There's nothing stopping the student from stabbing a teacher to death.

You somehow believe that a student carrying a gun is more likely to snap than another student. I'd like to see ANY proof of this."

Maporsche, I don't care what you'd like to see. I'm not invested in some endless argument with you. I gave my opinion, that a student with a gun who snaps can cause major harm from firepower (not to mention the general chilling of community connectivity, another whole subject, just by strutting around carrying and twitching).

So, you have no logical, rational, objective, or TRUE reason for what you believe?

Got it.

Endless debate over.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:16 pm
maporsche wrote:

So, you have no logical, rational, objective, or TRUE reason for what you believe?

Got it.

Endless debate over.

She told you her reasoning. You just choose not to listen because in your brain there appears to be no right answers but your own. And this is not the debate thread. She has a right to come into General News and state her opinion without debating you.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:18 pm
I'm still here.

If you wanna beat a dead horse, I'll watch. I'm sad that way...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:20 pm
Rockhead wrote:

RH

A blowtorch should do the trick! Laughing
0 Replies