Northern Illinois University Shooting

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 04:29 pm
McTag wrote:
So the solution is, if we want less bloodshed, is to take the guns away. All of them.
Bite the bullet, guys, then throw it away.

And this is the only solution that has any possibility of working.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:34 pm
Meantime, is there any thread about the people who were shot? Not that we in the US give them that much attention, usually. Casualties of the unfathomably bizarre, such as they are. When did not taking your pills, a recent phenomenon, mean you get to do massacres?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:39 pm
Thanks Osso, but this is about guns...

Always about guns...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:45 pm
Yes, that is apparent.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:47 pm
Maybe next time, guns and snacks for tv watching.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:59 pm
With all students armed :

-Who'd want to fail a student if all your students carried guns.

-Who'd stop a student from being disruptive.

-Who'd put the students in their place when they are playing up.

-Who'd suspend them when they get unruly.

-Who'd stop a bully from beating up another kid.

-Who'd stop the kids from smoking pot and playing with guns.

-Who'd ban the mentally ill students.

-Who'd support the depressed and suicidal students.

-Who'd want to work at a school.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 01:48 am
vikorr wrote:

A very good point.
Perhaps cj has the answers.
But I'm not holding my breath.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:40 am
vikorr wrote:

The teacher would handle most of this. Dorm supervisors could handle the pot smoking. Deans could continue to handle the suspension.

Adults who carry concealed weapons do not go around shooting everyone everytime they don't get their way.

I carried concealed in Arizona every day. I never pulled out my gun when a guy would cut me off. Or when a cop would pull me over a write me a ticket.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:43 am
Quote:
I carried concealed in Arizona every day. I never pulled out my gun when a guy would cut me off. Or when a cop would pull me over a write me a ticket.

Well , on behalf of everyone here, Im certainly proud of you for that

Can you testify on behalf of everyone? Obviously the amount of gun rage incidents is small(although not absent) and I wonder whether thats just because there are relatively few people carrying?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:50 am
farmerman wrote:
Quote:

Well , on behalf of everyone here, Im certainly proud of you for that

Can you testify on behalf of everyone? Obviously the amount of gun rage incidents is small(although not absent) and I wonder whether thats just because there are relatively few people carrying?

No one is suggesting that you arm every kid in college either. I see no reason why percentage wise any more college students would carry vs the general population. Many of these students that would carry within school probably carry outside of their school w/o incident.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:54 am
Quote:
No one is suggesting that you arm every kid in college either

I believe that's what cj is suggeting throughout his threads and posts. His answer for all ocasions (including Polish Weddings) is to have everyone armed and ready.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:59 am
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
No one is suggesting that you arm every kid in college either

I believe that's what cj is suggeting throughout his threads and posts. His answer for all ocasions (including Polish Weddings) is to have everyone armed and ready.

Well, cj and David are special cases no doubt, but I'd be surprised if he didn't mean to arm those who wanted to carry. If that is not his real intention, then we have another area where we disagree.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 02:14 pm
maporsche - cj is talking about all students being armed - always has been.

For the Illonios Uni shooting - any other scenario (eg. the percentage of people willing to carry concealables on them everywhere they go -rather low I would think) would make the Uni shooting example of how guns can save america almost irrelevant.

And you missed the point of my previous post - would you be the teacher (in a school where every student is armed)?

The point is, about 95% of the students will be good - but 5% in 1000 students at a school (or say 10,000 at a uni) still equates to 50 or 500 bad students running around with guns.

Would you want to fail them, or stop one of them beating up some other guy, or any of the other examples I mentioned?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
vikkor wrote :

Quote:
Would you want to fail them, or stop one of them beating up some other guy, or any of the other examples I mentioned?

i'm sure those armed students would never harm anyone - they'd be like lovable little puppies .

(sorry , vikkor . i don't really want to joke about it - it's just too sad and stupid , but i'm wondering what cj will say . perhaps he'll suggest a shootout between teachers and students to figure out who'll graduate Crying or Very sad )
hbg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 06:33 pm
vikorr wrote:
maporsche - cj is talking about all students being armed - always has been.

For the Illonios Uni shooting - any other scenario (eg. the percentage of people willing to carry concealables on them everywhere they go -rather low I would think) would make the Uni shooting example of how guns can save america almost irrelevant.

And you missed the point of my previous post - would you be the teacher (in a school where every student is armed)?

The point is, about 95% of the students will be good - but 5% in 1000 students at a school (or say 10,000 at a uni) still equates to 50 or 500 bad students running around with guns.

Let's stop with the 100% armed student populace. That will not happen, and I don't think I've ever seen cj suggest that. At least stop arguing this scenerio with me, I've never suggested such a thing and to challenge me with defending his comments (if he made them) is bad form.

You act like students are going to turn in to monkeys and play with their guns like they're toys. These are adults. Many adults carry concealed everyday (millions of people), and you don't see them shooting up the place.

You scenerio could easily occur with pocket knives too. Everyone can legally carry those. If a student would be willing to shoot a teacher over a poor grade, why wouldn't they be willing to stab him?

You're a moron if you think that allowing concealed carry on a college campus would lead to 500 people shooting their teachers for every act of discipline they impose.

And to answer you questions, YES I would be willing to be a teacher on a campus that allowed concealed carry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 06:59 pm
Somedays I think you have to be 30 to be considered adult. Or, 40. Maybe by 50..

Attended any student mental health clinics recently? Well, I haven't, but it's a thought. I remember from my student days plenty of people I wouldn't want carrying. My university has approaching 40,000 students now. Thinking, 2000 people who really want that A...
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:05 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Somedays I think you have to be 30 to be considered adult. Or, 40. Maybe by 50..

Attended any student mental health clinics recently? Well, I haven't, but it's a thought. I remember from my student days plenty of people I wouldn't want carrying. My university has approaching 40,000 students now. Thinking, 2000 people who really want that A...

Why not a knife osso?

Why not a baseball bat?

Why not a fist?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:06 pm
Firepower.

I know, men and, yes, women, have always been violent, and there are other weapons.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Firepower.

I know, men and, yes, women, have always been violent, and there are other weapons.

What does "firepower" mean in this context?

If a student want's an A bad enough to threaten a teacher and possibly kill them......a) why wouldn't the student not use another weapon if guns weren't available or b) why would the student obey the gun law in the first place?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:14 pm
It's in your pocket (or wherever) and you're pissed... there ya' go. People don't have to be officially 'mentally ill' to lose self control.
0 Replies