Northern Illinois University Shooting

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 10:59 am
Dekalb is 65 miles west of Chicago. The killer's guns
could have picked up almost anywhere in the City. All the guy needed was ready cash and a means to get to Chicago.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:00 am
cjhsa wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:
(i shouldn't have to explain it)

Uh, yes, you should.

The reports state the the shooter appeared on the auditorium stage and began firing, first with a shotgun then with handgun.

If one person, just one, had fired back (it would have been an easy shot), my bet is that lives would have been spared.

And I haven't even mentioned the teacher. Apparently he chased, then shot the teacher, before he ever went after the students. I think it's a strong case for arming teachers.

Sounds like the instructor was real weenie...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:04 am
A lot of these students were brought up in rural Illinois and I can't believe that any kid brought up on a farm doesn't know how to physically defend him/herself.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:22 am
ok, let me get this straight.

sitting in a college auditorium and listening to a lecture is the perfect time to have a hand on your concealed weapon, just in case some wacko bursts in and starts firing?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:42 am
Chicago has extremely strict gun laws. I don't get why anyone would go to Chicago to buy a gun? Miller?

Region, if your state allows (most do), find out about the requirements for getting a CCW and what it entails. You must be trained and proficient with your weapon. You don't go looking for fights, or even get involved in other people's problems (aka you are not a police officer). It is a permit to carry a concealed weapon for personal protection only.

If you won't do that, order a free Cabela's Shooters catalog and check out some of the gear. Enlighten yourself.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:35 pm
Quote:

Region, if your state allows (most do), find out about the requirements for getting a CCW and what it entails. You must be trained and proficient with your weapon.

In Ohio 12 hours total training (most of that naming the parts of a gun, how it works, how to safely load/unload/store it), 2 with gun, about 30-45 minutes of that live-fire.

162 of these "trained", "proficient" shooters adding to the malay!?

An acquanence son is certified to teach the course. He makes his living selling drugs. Is not allowed in his father's house because of his "employement". I guess he could be the only trainer to have fallen through the certification cracks.

I've used handguns and rifles for 35 years. I don't consider myself proficient enough to engage in a gunfight in a crowd of frightened fleeing people. But that is just me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:38 pm
Then don't carry. Just hope someone else around you does.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:44 pm
One of those people who may have had all of 45 minutes of experience total in their entire lives?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:47 pm
It would have been better than nothing.
Even the University Police Chief agrees.

http://www.kxmb.com/News/Nation/209747.asp

A gun free zone, for everyone except the killer...
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 02:01 pm
I can't really get worked up about this. My theory is if we divide America into thirds the left the middle and the right, get rid of the 2/3 on the ends we MIGHT have the start of a real country. So I'm no left wing ideologue.

At the same time if you are trying to present yourself as knowledgeable and won't admit that having 10 other people with semi-automatic handguns and 45 minutes of live-fire training in that chaos would not have a very good chance of simply adding to the carnage its hard to take you seriously.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 02:09 pm
I seriously doubt it. The first person to return fire would probably stop the whole thing.

Secondly, anyone who carries knows it is their duty to practice and retain proficiency with their weapon. What would be the point of carrying if you didn't?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 02:14 pm
cj wrote :

Quote:
You don't go looking for fights, or even get involved in other people's problems (aka you are not a police officer). It is a permit to carry a concealed weapon for personal protection only.

so if you can't get involved in "other people's problems" and can use it for "personal protection only" , what good would it have done for any of the "other students" to carry a gun ?
since they were not "personally" attacked , they would not have been allowed to pull the trigger - a/t what you wrote .
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 02:39 pm
Are you trying to tell me that when you are in a room full of people being shot at by a nut, that you aren't threatened personally?

Obviously, with that kind of thinking, there are equally as serious threats to face from those who think like you.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:15 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
ok, let me get this straight.

sitting in a college auditorium and listening to a lecture is the perfect time to have a hand on your concealed weapon, just in case some wacko bursts in and starts firing?

In many law schools, cops are in attendance as students. Believe me, all of them are armed.

So why would you suspect that none of the kids at Illinois wouldn't be able to be armed with a small gun, either on their ankle or in the small of their back?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:17 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Chicago has extremely strict gun laws. I don't get why anyone would go to Chicago to buy a gun? Miller?

Gun law? Nonsense ...where do you think all the Chicago gang members get their guns?

You get them on the street, where you can get many other interesting items.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:18 pm
Miller wrote:
So why would you suspect that none of the kids at Illinois wouldn't be able to be armed with a small gun, either on their ankle or in the small of their back?

Why? Because of all these signs!

http://www.wmsa.net/images/gun_free_zone.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Miller wrote:

Why? Because of all these signs!

http://www.wmsa.net/images/gun_free_zone.
jpg

What signs?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:23 pm
Got it! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:27 pm
Miller wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Gun law? Nonsense ...where do you think all the Chicago gang members get their guns?

You get them on the street, where you can get many other interesting items.

So, you are saying, all those gun laws designed to protect law abiding citizens don't work? That all those surveillance cameras in Chicago don't deter crime? Tell me something I don't know! Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:29 pm
You two make me laugh.

Thought I would return the favor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhRI7OUL53o

RH
0 Replies