On the edge and toppling off....

Izzie

Thu 6 May, 2010 11:25 am
@wandeljw,
back

oh, just so much, my head is spinning

a lot of good, some not so, but a lot of good

out with the old, in with the new

got there and brother arranged for photocopying to be done. 6 pages x 10!

my lawyer turned up - we talked for a while whilst I shook

everyone turned up... went in... handed out my agenda & questions and...

first thing that happened was "oooooooh I know you" - the new social worker knew my solicitor Shocked - they had both worked together on a child protection case a few years back, on the same side - yay - he says she is really nice...

good omen

new social worker is young, hip, with it - excellent for R - no stuckuppedness! She asked the right questions... she wants to get to know R. It was agreed that this will be done very, very carefully with the keyworkers support - it is crucial for R to engage with her, she will have to make the effort because he is not able to. The carers told her the things he would do and say and how he would react, they said she will need to be patient - he will not trust her, he will not be able to communicate properly with her for a long time. We asked her not to say she was a social worker... use different words, don't use trigger words.

I asked them to give R the option of who his personal adviser should be until he is 21... they need to talk about this because the crossover with carer/keyworker and personal adviser is... hmmmmmmm.... gotta be careful with crossing boundaries. If he engages with social worker, she is the one who can "help" him

NO ASSESSMENT has been done. Not worth telling y'all about - hasn't been done - point was made... many times... they know they got it wrong, they admit they got it wrong.... lots of "in hindsight".... can't change it... points were made.

MrP and I had a bit of a set-to - I had written he was not to have anything to do with R's future plan, in Beth's words - he said he was soooooooooo professional - blah blah blah - I said I did not wish him to place any negative connotation about R or his behaviour on the new social workers shoulders and a few other things (so did the carer, yay for him, backup) - she assured me she would not let that happen. She hasn't met R yet. She said she is used to angry kids, she won't let it phase her.

long and short...

the difference in law - as they made very clear to me - the word "should" means "we do not have to do anything nyahnyahnananyah" whereas the word "must" means they have to.

In other words - they do not have to support R post 18 legally. He has 'capacity' - therefore, on your own buddy. However, given the overwhelming evidence (my and the carers information and points of law re assessment, mental health needs etc) - they realise that R will need huge support, flexible support, and this is to be discussed at a further meeting they will arrange, including R in the meeting and him saying what he will need help with. I will be out of the loop but the carers will keep me informed - I never thought I would say this again - but I trust the carers, especially his keyworker - he was fab - he had on a luminous pink watch and sat with his knees up and feet on the chair - I can imagine how him and R talk - it was so lovely to meet him. Manager was great too - terrific backup - understands R, WANTS to help - LIKES R, warts and all. New Director was there - he's the money man - but even he was good - they know as a company they cannot support R long term .... no crystal ball, just got to hope that they can sustain support for a minimum of 6 months, and with SocS commitment to funding, post 18, 12 month floating support...

The Law - the law states one thing, but in reality something else happens. This came up so many times, I questioned, my lawyer questioned - I said that the inconsistent approach will not register with R - they tell me one thing, they are telling R another, the housing people will say another, the carers will say another, the benefits agency will say another - R needs to be given the "what actually happens" not the "well, we don't have to do this but as we are so up ourselves and are nice people we will do this for you" approach.

So - no minutes were taken - they do not have to do this, BY LAW. It is not a must. However... having started the meeting with "R has capacity"... by the end of the meeting the Head of the Care Leavers Team <I have a grudging respect for this man Shocked ... he did seem to be really worried about what is going to happen to R and admits that this is not a good scenario) ... and everyone else in the room ... agreed that they were very concerned about how things were going to work, not sure that it would work, and that R will need more than a little support. A contingency plan is not in place. It will be by his review date - so they say. Now, I have to leave them to formulate that plan of action because the carers know better than anyone what support he needs, I've advocated for him and got them to confirm a lot of stuff - and I have to hope that R will engage with the new social worker and that she, along with the carers, will help R live independently. They now say it will take a few weeks and of course, the flat may be rented before then - though they would hope the landlord would not do that.

My lawyer was brilliant - he just kept scribbling notes which I had to look away from him because I could see he was doodling - they took me seriously because he was there - that's what I needed him to do for me. Love my lawyer.

Lots of things not confirmed ... but I cannot force them to do anything - have.to.work.with.them....

I only got upset once when they said "normally a child has his family supporting them" you know, with that tone and look ... at which stage I responded like ice but with venom and then laughed as I turned to lawyer and said "we wondered how long it would be before they made me say R would not see or be in contact with me"...makes them feel very powerful. That's fine - you lot be powerful , be as powerful as you like with me- just make sure my son stays safe and help him when he needs it.

nem'mind - for the record they will ensure that the words about me stating R could not come back to his birth family would be changed, with apologies...

much was achieved - though everyone agreed that R does not have a clue at the implications of moving and independent living, at least they all recognise that and .... though they do not HAVE to support him, they have committed to providing support post 18 - where he will have his keyworker and hopefully one other, seeing R on a daily basis and being a support when required. No details - they have to figure out how to do it but all agree this needs to be done immediately so that R knows who to turn to and he needs to know it before he moves. It has to be agreed and in writing before R moves.

Living in the city is going to be horribly horrible for him. They know he will probably spend most of his time in the Town which could lead to another whole host of problems... can't even go there... we just don't know how he is going to cope, no-one knows how he will manage, but... there's nothing I can do to change that - R is going to leave and will be on his own.

Review meeting - R and the local authority on 19/5 - again, carers asked that they do not use trigger words, do not read reports on him as tho he is not there, give him some respect and dignity, treat him like an individual and not just some kid in care, and he will more likely engage...

The carers were brilliant. My lawyer was brilliant. The new social worker seems to listen and is looking forward to meeting R - she asked for "tips" - I gave her lots of info.... so did the carers. She seemed to listen. I have a kinda good feeling about her...

Mr P..... who?

Razz

NEW START

<going to lie down now... oh so verra tired>

thank you all so much.
mismi

Thu 6 May, 2010 11:29 am
@Izzie,
Go lie down sweet girl. Sounds like it will be alright. Glad it is over and you are feeling good about it. Will be praying all of the details and ideas are kept up and worked out.

((Izzie))
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Thu 6 May, 2010 11:35 am
@Izzie,
Very glad to hear you sounding so positive Izzie. Very glad.

"A lot of good" is, well, good. Hoping this is the start of positive gains for R.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 6 May, 2010 11:52 am
@Izzie,
Very good outcome, Izzie. The evidence shows R needs support and it seems they are conscientious enough to make an attempt to provide him support. The new social worker sounds committed enough for you to be optimistic.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 6 May, 2010 11:52 am
@Izzie,
Glad to hear it went well - better than expected, even if not perfect.

Take some deep breaths and get some rest - you need to keep up your own strength too. Hugs continue.
devriesj

Thu 6 May, 2010 01:28 pm
@JPB,
Rest well, dear Izzie. You've earned it. You did a BRILLIANT job! So pr0ud of you. Ya done good. Hoping and praying all turns out well. Behind you R and S 100+%. You are doing an amazing job despite all that has happened with and to you and R. Praying for a good outcome. Glad you had good support there and were heard and listened too. You are amazing. Love you to pieces. (((Izzie)))
0 Replies

Roberta

Thu 6 May, 2010 01:34 pm
Izzie, I'm glad the meeting went well. I'm sure that your planning ahead and thinking things through made a big difference. Your strength also made a huge difference.

Rest, kiddo. You earned it. You deserve it.
Izzie

Thu 6 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@Roberta,
Oh gosh, been on the phone for hours... been talking to the carers - they gave R some feedback about why there was a meeting - he got a little shouty (trigger words like Mom and Social Services) - but... that's to be expected - he will meet his new social worker next week but his keyworker and the manager will be with him

keyworker is just wonderful - he spoke with new social worker after the meeting - he's optimistic, but reserved too, about how she will be - we'll just have to wait and see what she's like with R when she meets him - and how R is with her

keyworker had never attended a professional meeting like this, he said he felt totally out of his depth, he was nervous, yet he was the most important person there because he spoke as if he were R - he didn't speak for R, but explained the feelings that R described to him and where his difficulties lie - that's the only way R can be heard at the moment, until his communication skills improve and his maturity grows

keyworker said he thought the things that SocS said to me were insensitive and i'd handled it well - he was pleased that we managed to secure some commitments tho we won't take that as gospel until we and R have it in writing and see it in practise.

it was so weird meeting the keyworker - ya know, it's a bit like here talking to people online/phone... and you picture someone ... and then when you meet them the way you envisioned someone can be completely different... he's a youngish guy and he's on the same wavelength as R

he is good for R - I think R is good for him

the Manager is good for R

the other carer (who I haven't met) is good for R - he's older, Dad'ish age - that's good, R needs that level of maturity

I didn't think I could trust people with my son's welfare again - not after his tutor at Farleigh, I haven't been able to trust anyone - he & G were the last people I trusted with R and that all went so awfully wrong - now tho, I feel as tho I can trust his keyworker - and my friend Pam has spoken with Ryan, about issues and letting him know she will be there for him if he needs anyone, it's the first time she has ever done that, the first time i have asked her to, she's always been 'just' his best mates' Mom, and that feels good to know he spoke to her despite what he said about me (which was upsetting for her) - it feels good that he has people he can rely on AND who he can ask - he can't ask me nor wants me - but they can make a difference... and it's a bridge...

I won't see his keyworker (will only talk with him on phone or by email) and Pam only ever comes here, I don't go over there - so R will still have that safety of knowing I won't be there or anything - and that is what works for him at this time - hopefully it may change in the future, but I know that won't happen any time soon - but that's OK... it doesn't make me feel bad as long as he's alright and I know he has someone to talk with

i feel some relief - i truly pray i am not misguided here - please, please don't let me be wrong here - which of course i could be - i don't trust social services at all - it doesn't matter what i think tho - it's what R thinks and whether he will cope with independent living - we shall find out soon.

i wrote to my lawyer - who is the best and i told him so Razz he emailed me and said that he felt a bit like a spare part at the meeting (which of course, he wasn't, they only took me seriously because he was there) and said we will get together once the plan has been formulated and put in writing and compare it with the notes he took today - that's good - it's so good to have that kind of support, he is doing this as a favour - love him - he says that when he makes judge i will be able to turn around and say i knew him when...

bless that lawyer!

i feel rejuvenated and exhausted at the same time

i may be being a little too optimistic today - maybe will feel differently tomorrow - just need to feel positive today

need to say...

i can't thank you all enough for all the support you've given me - i could not have got thru today, ok, so the last couple years Razz without you all - really, i wouldn't have been able to do it

thank you

msolga

Thu 6 May, 2010 04:09 pm
@Izzie,
Quote:
i feel rejuvenated and exhausted at the same time

i may be being a little too optimistic today - maybe will feel differently tomorrow - just need to feel positive today

Well done, Iz!
Sounds like you put the case for R very well & they took you seriously, despite your concerns that they mightn't.
It was never going to be easy.
And it's certainly sounding like progress has been made!
Please don't go getting all nit-picky about your own best efforts, will you? You have every reason to feel proud of yourself. (I am definitely proud of you & I'm certain everyone else here is, too. Very Happy )
I am hoping that you well sleep very tonight, once you've unwound. You'll probably pass out with exhaustion, after all your work, plus the stress of the past two days.
But hey, you did good!!! Take a bow! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 6 May, 2010 04:18 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
I've advocated for him and got them to confirm a lot of stuff

nem'mind - for the record they will ensure that the words about me stating R could not come back to his birth family would be changed, with apologies...

much was achieved

No details - they have to figure out how to do it but all agree this needs to be done immediately so that R knows who to turn to and he needs to know it before he moves. It has to be agreed and in writing before R moves.

NEW START

I think you did brilliantly!

You are a good advocate for your son.

I hope you are a proud, coooooooool, woman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 6 May, 2010 05:57 pm
@Izzie,
Now there was a great post to read, Iz. A start, yes, but a start I'm very happy to hear about.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 6 May, 2010 06:56 pm
@Izzie,
That does sound promising!

Glad the lawyer was taking actual notes too and not just doodling. Smile

Good job Izzie...
verbivore

Sat 8 May, 2010 01:49 am
@sozobe,
im sooo damn sorry..i cant believe i missed so much!!! i dnt knw whr i got lost! kept missing you..even searched you online one whole night..just thought sme laptop issues!!!
i cant say muchbt weep thnking of wat ur going thru..i wish i cud literally b thr to hold ur hands..wen thngs went sour...
prayers all tht i can do frm here! nd am feeling so helpless abt it..
am glad tht it has bettered this much..wil pray hard 4 ye..
devriesj

Sat 8 May, 2010 12:41 pm
@verbivore,
I think we can all agree, our Izzie is freakin' amazing! We love you and are behind you totally! So proud of you. Keep sounding off. You are doing a fantastic job in an awful situation. It's mother's day hear tomorrow. I don't know about there, but I'm wishing you, a wonderful lady, a wonderful mother's day anyway!
And it's good to see you too, verbi-! Love and hugs, hon-! Miss you! All my love to you!
0 Replies

Izzie

Fri 14 May, 2010 01:17 pm
This time next week R-boy will have left the House and care system and moved into his own flat in the city. SocS legal department are tying up the tenancy agreement. He will have initial support 14 hours per day for the first week, this will then taper off. SocS have not informed me of anything yet - his keyworker has informed me. He thought it right I should know. Still waiting for the meeting summary and confirmation of commitments for support. I've emailed them.

hmmm...

oh

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

anxious - me, that is. Tummy ache -ugh.

R's review next week - I'm not allowed to be there but that's OK, it's his meeting with the Child In Care Review Board - it's a system process, R will need to speak this time - his keyworker will be with him to help him.

They are looking at starter kits for the kitchen, pots and pans and knives and forks and such like... he has nothing but will be kitted out with something by next week - hopefully.

Life skills..............

<sigh>

R is glad to be leaving. He has told his care staff that his brother and I are not allowed to try and contact him - they have made it clear to him that they will keep me informed if I ask. I spoke to his "Dad age ish" carer (he's a good bloke) for a long time earlier this week - he wants so much for R to talk to me - R does talk about me, usually not pleasantly, but each time they tell him that I love him and care about him ... R has stopped reacting so negatively to that - he silently acknowledges it. It's a start.

Scares me to death to think of him out in the world with so little understanding. He is scared too... he tells them that, but his need to be "out of care" is all that's important to him. There are going to be many hard lessons to learn.

Got to stay strong. Got to be positive.

Hard.

He'll be fine. I gotta believe he'll be alright on his own. He will. Day at a time.
mismi

Fri 14 May, 2010 01:29 pm
@Izzie,
I am encouraged that he will have that much support at first Izzie. I know it will taper off - but hopefully it will get him on his feet and he will learn what he needs to know.

But still - I can't imagine how hard it is to see him going out on his own this soon. Especially when you are so willing to be there for him.

((Izzie)) Thoughts and prayers girl
Izzie

Fri 14 May, 2010 01:46 pm
@mismi,
Thank you ((((((Mis))))))...

and all who've been supporting me

thank you. x
0 Replies

Roberta

Fri 14 May, 2010 02:59 pm
You are one strong lady, Izzie. Stay that way.

This will be a difficult time for R-boy and you, but I think the people looking out for him are actually going to be there for him. It's about time.

Thinking of you (you knew that) and getting my hoper in high gear for the best. My hoper is already in high gear. Is there a gear higher than high? Don't know about such mechanical things.

Love you, kid.
0 Replies

Izzie

Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:02 pm
@Noddy24,
[quote="Noddy24" a very long time ago]
Izzie--

You're loaded down with unproductive rage and in danger of going under.
None of these problems are going to go away. "Poof, vanish," won't work.
[/quote]

yep, not much's changed really

they're still there, they don't go away and it never stops hurting

they reappear in different forms

i'm still angry and i'll never know if i had kept him with me if we would have made it - not that it matters anymore, it is what it is

Ryan is 18 today - birthdays were never a good day for him - but then most days aren't for him.

So much has happened in the last few weeks - it's hazy.

S-boy had to see an ortho surgeon. Official referral to a rheumatologist has arrived - at the grand 'ole age of 13 - ferking great gift to the little fella - gee Mom, cheers! MRI's and blood tests to come over the next few weeks, more consultant appts. and possible surgery on his big toots - medial sesamoiditis. Surgeon states "I think this is quite an unusual presentation is a child of this age... I think it would be irresponsible not to consider the possibility of imflammatory arthropathy given the strong family history..." blah blah blah

O4FS - We'll go together as they are MRIing my ankle and knee too. Nice little mother son expedition. Oh Joy.

Bloody diseases- p!ss me off lately.

Possible chemo for Charlie, maybe just the radio... dunno yet. Week or so to wait on that one.

Tired and tears - lots of them - back in Devon

The Butterfly Effect - if you go back and change time and change the outcome for the better, fix it

but you can't, can you!

it's been a long time since i saw my sons face - i miss Ryan so much that sometimes, i could feel i could...

You'll never change what's been and gone

too ferking tired to think anymore

bed.

Izzie

Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:06 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

back

oh, just so much, my head is spinning

a lot of good, some not so, but a lot of good

out with the old, in with the new

got there and brother arranged for photocopying to be done. 6 pages x 10!

my lawyer turned up - we talked for a while whilst I shook

everyone turned up... went in... handed out my agenda & questions and...

first thing that happened was "oooooooh I know you" - the new social worker knew my solicitor Shocked - they had both worked together on a child protection case a few years back, on the same side - yay - he says she is really nice...

good omen

new social worker is young, hip, with it - excellent for R - no stuckuppedness! She asked the right questions... she wants to get to know R. It was agreed that this will be done very, very carefully with the keyworkers support - it is crucial for R to engage with her, she will have to make the effort because he is not able to. The carers told her the things he would do and say and how he would react, they said she will need to be patient - he will not trust her, he will not be able to communicate properly with her for a long time. We asked her not to say she was a social worker... use different words, don't use trigger words.

I asked them to give R the option of who his personal adviser should be until he is 21... they need to talk about this because the crossover with carer/keyworker and personal adviser is... hmmmmmmm.... gotta be careful with crossing boundaries. If he engages with social worker, she is the one who can "help" him

NO ASSESSMENT has been done. Not worth telling y'all about - hasn't been done - point was made... many times... they know they got it wrong, they admit they got it wrong.... lots of "in hindsight".... can't change it... points were made.

MrP and I had a bit of a set-to - I had written he was not to have anything to do with R's future plan, in Beth's words - he said he was soooooooooo professional - blah blah blah - I said I did not wish him to place any negative connotation about R or his behaviour on the new social workers shoulders and a few other things (so did the carer, yay for him, backup) - she assured me she would not let that happen. She hasn't met R yet. She said she is used to angry kids, she won't let it phase her.

long and short...

the difference in law - as they made very clear to me - the word "should" means "we do not have to do anything nyahnyahnananyah" whereas the word "must" means they have to.

In other words - they do not have to support R post 18 legally. He has 'capacity' - therefore, on your own buddy. However, given the overwhelming evidence (my and the carers information and points of law re assessment, mental health needs etc) - they realise that R will need huge support, flexible support, and this is to be discussed at a further meeting they will arrange, including R in the meeting and him saying what he will need help with. I will be out of the loop but the carers will keep me informed - I never thought I would say this again - but I trust the carers, especially his keyworker - he was fab - he had on a luminous pink watch and sat with his knees up and feet on the chair - I can imagine how him and R talk - it was so lovely to meet him. Manager was great too - terrific backup - understands R, WANTS to help - LIKES R, warts and all. New Director was there - he's the money man - but even he was good - they know as a company they cannot support R long term .... no crystal ball, just got to hope that they can sustain support for a minimum of 6 months, and with SocS commitment to funding, post 18, 12 month floating support...

The Law - the law states one thing, but in reality something else happens. This came up so many times, I questioned, my lawyer questioned - I said that the inconsistent approach will not register with R - they tell me one thing, they are telling R another, the housing people will say another, the carers will say another, the benefits agency will say another - R needs to be given the "what actually happens" not the "well, we don't have to do this but as we are so up ourselves and are nice people we will do this for you" approach.

So - no minutes were taken - they do not have to do this, BY LAW. It is not a must. However... having started the meeting with "R has capacity"... by the end of the meeting the Head of the Care Leavers Team <I have a grudging respect for this man Shocked ... he did seem to be really worried about what is going to happen to R and admits that this is not a good scenario) ... and everyone else in the room ... agreed that they were very concerned about how things were going to work, not sure that it would work, and that R will need more than a little support. A contingency plan is not in place. It will be by his review date - so they say. Now, I have to leave them to formulate that plan of action because the carers know better than anyone what support he needs, I've advocated for him and got them to confirm a lot of stuff - and I have to hope that R will engage with the new social worker and that she, along with the carers, will help R live independently. They now say it will take a few weeks and of course, the flat may be rented before then - though they would hope the landlord would not do that.

My lawyer was brilliant - he just kept scribbling notes which I had to look away from him because I could see he was doodling - they took me seriously because he was there - that's what I needed him to do for me. Love my lawyer.

Lots of things not confirmed ... but I cannot force them to do anything - have.to.work.with.them....

I only got upset once when they said "normally a child has his family supporting them" you know, with that tone and look ... at which stage I responded like ice but with venom and then laughed as I turned to lawyer and said "we wondered how long it would be before they made me say R would not see or be in contact with me"...makes them feel very powerful. That's fine - you lot be powerful , be as powerful as you like with me- just make sure my son stays safe and help him when he needs it.

much was achieved - though everyone agreed that R does not have a clue at the implications of moving and independent living, at least they all recognise that and .... though they do not HAVE to support him, they have committed to providing support post 18 - where he will have his keyworker and hopefully one other, seeing R on a daily basis and being a support when required. No details - they have to figure out how to do it but all agree this needs to be done immediately so that R knows who to turn to and he needs to know it before he moves. It has to be agreed and in writing before R moves.

Living in the city is going to be horribly horrible for him. They know he will probably spend most of his time in the Town which could lead to another whole host of problems... can't even go there... we just don't know how he is going to cope, no-one knows how he will manage, but... there's nothing I can do to change that - R is going to leave and will be on his own.

Review meeting - R and the local authority on 19/5 - again, carers asked that they do not use trigger words, do not read reports on him as tho he is not there, give him some respect and dignity, treat him like an individual and not just some kid in care, and he will more likely engage...

The carers were brilliant. My lawyer was brilliant. The new social worker seems to listen and is looking forward to meeting R - she asked for "tips" - I gave her lots of info.... so did the carers. She seemed to listen. I have a kinda good feeling about her...

Mr P..... who?

Razz

NEW START

<going to lie down now... oh so verra tired>

thank you all so much.

oh yeah, all that social services crap above.... ha....... big window, saw me coming with MUG written on my forehead... what a croc.... it's almost laughable if it weren't so ferking contemptible bullshit.

Nem'mind a... f*ck all i can
do about it now!