Softener resin escaping

justalurker

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 01:33 pm
Gary, you just can't stop http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/eb1e600644.gif

So, from now on, if you don't have something helpful to post then http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/cb2f41ada2.gif
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:18 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I can feel the heat.

Kaincha feel the Love? Shocked
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:20 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
FIGHT! FIGHT!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd298/Zozzie1/fighting1.gif
I suggest resin tubes at ten paces.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
What you saw was the factory default settings!!

And you know that how? YOU ever touched or even seen my control valve?

FYI, know-it-all, the programming in my control valve was pooched when it arrived and I had to call Clack to reset it to the default. From then, I could program the control valve.

You KNEW all Clack control boards were potted until I proved they weren't.
You know my valve arrived with default programming but it didn't.
You know what I know except you don't.

The fact that you know anything about water treatment sustains that anyone can equal your level of expertise with study and minimal intelligence. As for your lack of mechanical skill... that you can't rebuild a Fleck valve without using the special tool confirms your limitations but does not impose those limitations on others.

You talk much, and know so little because you are thousands of miles away from most things you sell and never know how anything actually arrives.

Since you've taken Zozzie under your wing why don't you take your foot out of your mouth and tell him how to program his softener?

How's that Gus?
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:23 pm
Zozzie wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I can feel the heat.

Zozzie, that's not love... that's Gary behind you.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:25 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
justalurker wrote:
......share that with Zozzie.

YES!!! share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie!!![/color]
Wheww! Zozzie could have wrapped two Christmas prezzies in the time it took to do that.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:28 pm
http://www.io.com/~maddog/xmas/pho_xmsw.jpg

I wanted to wish all you water guys a peaceful and joyous holiday season!
(This is the best I could do... water-wise.)
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:32 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Merry Christmas Gus.

gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Merry Christmas, Gary.

I love it when people make a love connection - congratulations guys!
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:54 pm
Zozzie wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
justalurker wrote:
......share that with Zozzie.

YES!!! share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie share that with Zozzie!!![/color]
Wheww! Zozzie could have wrapped two Christmas prezzies in the time it took to do that.

Zozzie,

If I told you how to program your Clack softener then Gary would have to kill you. :wink:
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 04:06 pm
justalurker wrote:
Zozzie wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I can feel the heat.

Zozzie, that's not love... that's Gary behind you.

I can only hope he's not holdin' his ballcock. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:46 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
What you saw was the factory default settings!!

justalurker wrote:
And you know that how?

Ah... because every control valve made is tested before it leaves the factory and to do that Clack and Fleck and all other manufacturers program to default settings. I can list from memory all the settings in a Clack WS-1. That's both on the dealer and consumer side. How about you?

justalurker wrote:
FYI, know-it-all, the programming in my control valve was pooched when it arrived and I had to call Clack to reset it to the default. From then, I could program the control valve.

And you could have called me but chose not to, but that's not all you called them about. I guess you never took the time to think I may have known you called Clack right? Your PIA touchy feelly attitude got through. LOL And, all you had to do was unlock the control! The instructions are right in the manual; WITH PICTURES to follow, you push the right three buttons in the correct order.

justalurker wrote:
You KNEW all Clack control boards were potted until I proved they weren't.

And all the miniaturized electronics are.

justalurker wrote:
You know my valve arrived with default programming but it didn't.

Lets' see... I'll make this easy for you, what are the default capacity and salt lbs? I know what they are.

justalurker wrote:
The fact that you know anything about water treatment sustains that anyone can equal your level of expertise with study and minimal intelligence.

And your point is?

justalurker wrote:
As for your lack of mechanical skill... that you can't rebuild a Fleck valve without using the special tool confirms your limitations but does not impose those limitations on others.

The fact is that there are special control model specific Fleck tools used to remove and install the 5-6 seals and the 4-5 spacers between them. They wouldn't be made if they weren't needed. So take it up with Fleck but, all the same number of parts all come out of the Clack as one piece with nothing more than the tip of your finger.

You go on about Fleck being around longer.... the seals in the Clack are clear lipped self wiping and lubricating, Fleck has nothing like that. You don't have to index the piston when replacing it. There's no contact switches or wires. The meter turbine comes out the side of the outlet so you don't have to disconnect the control valve from the by pass valve or plumbing to be able to get the turbine out like you do with Fleck. The Clack programming is as simple as heating a cup of coffee in a microwave while Fleck still talks in codes.

justalurker wrote:
You talk much, and know so little because you are thousands of miles away from most things you sell and never know how anything actually arrives.

I'll put my knowledge and experience up against anyone you choose. And within minutes of delivery of an order, I receive an email from UPS telling me to the minute when every box of the order was delivered plus a couple other things.

justalurker wrote:
Since you've taken Zozzie under your wing why don't you take your foot out of your mouth and tell him how to program his softener?

I already have and was the only one here to do so except for you saying he can turn off calendar override with out mentioning any problems with doing that - that was more bad advice from you that would screw up someone's softener to the point of possibility costing them money to make it right....

I'm still waiting for that picture of your water heater and the area to its right.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:47 am
I'm still waiting for a refund check and a UPS call tag or when/if the refund check clears, I'll break up the Clack, take it to the dump, and post a picture.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 11:51 am
Yeah, I know, it still sits where you installed in July 2004 and its never skipped a beat once you learned how to unlock it. LOL

It's a great softener and you won't need to take it to a dump for many years.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 12:35 pm
Gary, I'll bet you and 'Lurker are both sitting in a bar somewhere, 3/4 sh!t-faced and passing a laptop back & forth while splittin yer sides laughing at the charade of Water Wars that you're both funnin' us with. Good one guys! You had us all going for a while! Laughing Rolling Eyes

Go home! The turkey dinner's going cold!

http://www.4mules.com/images/drinking_buddies.jpg
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 02:15 pm
Hey!, that's the real GS
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:27 pm
Zozzie wrote:
... I'll bet you and 'Lurker are both sitting in a bar somewhere...

Zozzie,

I'll take that bet.

I'm particular about who I drink with, but that aside... It'd never happen because I'd have to listen to Gary tell me all about the only right way to serve beer cause only he's been serving beer the right way since the mid-60s at GE and that local bars don't serve beer the right way and rip off their customers and the only bar that serves beer the right way is an online bar and the only beer to drink is Iron City because Gary says so.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 09:42 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
You have a 2.7 gpm DLFC. Usually that is used in a 1.5 cuft and you have a 9" x 48" tank which is for a 1.0 cuft softener.

To get 30,000, you need 15 lbs of salt. Ten lbs would get you 25.5k. You don't need and shouldn't want either. That's terrible salt efficiency.

With two people:

Settings should be -
DLFC - is 2.7
4.0 lbs of salt per regeneration.
Capacity - 13,000
Calendar override day 8

Post fill brine tank.
Downflow.
Auto regeneration. (2am)
City water with 13 grains of hardness.

That will put 1000 gals on the meter. It will regenerate on average every 8 days. That's optimal.

Gary, getting back to all this I now have two weeks of experience under my belt with the operation of my Clack WS1 softener.

I set the timer to the above settings. I still have the 2.7gpm DLFC and not the 1.5 - 2.0gpm one you recommended in a later post from you.

When it regenerates it puts up 999gals on the clock. I keep a calendar on gallons remaining, some major usage (laundry days, some shower usage) and my opinion on the softness of the water.

Here is the calendar, gallons and opinions -
Jan 7 - 363gals remaining. Water felt hard. Regeneration tonight.
Jan 8 - 999gals. Auto Regenerated last night.
Jan 9 - 942galls. Water felt hard. Hot tank full of hard water?
Jan 10 - 907galls. Water felt hard. Hot tank full of hard water?
Jan 11 - 839galls. Water felt soft during shower.
Jan 12 - 544galls. Unit tripped manually by me to make 100% sure I have a full hot tank of soft water.
Jan 13 - 999galls.
Jan 14 - 941galls. Feeling soft! Ahhhh!
Jan 15 - 878galls. Feeling soft.
Jan 16 - 855galls. 807 later in day. Two showers. Feels soft.
Jan 17 - 771galls. Laundry.
Jan 18 - 548galls. More laundry. Shower. Water feeling somewhat hard.
Jan 19 - 442galls. Shower. Water feels harder.
Jan 20 - 388galls. Shower. Water feels very hard. Later this morning it was flashing "Regeneration" at 374galls (so it will go off at 2am).

Gary I know that my findings over two weeks of usage isn't ideal but to me it does show a slight pattern - that we are running out of soft water around the 600gallons point and then the hot water tank is being slowly filled with hard water.

What does this point to? Not enough salt being used per regeneration (it's set at 4lbs per your suggestion) or less than 1cu ft of resin in the tank or harder water than I was told?

Stats - 2 people, 2 bathrooms (never two showers running at once), dishwasher (every 2-3days), laundry once weekly (usually Friday). 9.75" of water in the salt tank.

The business that sold me the softener (mail order in Canada; you don't ship up here) suggested 10lbs of salt per regen and that 7.5 to 8lbs might be ok.

Any words of wisdom Gary or should I monitor for a longer period?
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 03:32 pm
Any hard water scale in the water heater will be dissolved into the soft water in the water heater making all the hot water hard. That may take some time to get all of the scale out of the tank.

As long as the cold water is soft, the softener is working fine but I see the cold water went hard. You have to test the water for hardness, not just go by the feel?

You should check on what DLFC should be in the control. If a 1.5 etc. then change it. The additional water flow will mess up the programing and cause this problem.

The Regen Today flashing means the gallons for 'today' have gotten down to the reserve capacity and it will regen tonight.

That means you are probably using more than 60gals/person/day or more likely you've used a lot more water 'yesterday' than the average BUT... your variable reserve is not totally functional yet, you need three weeks (21 days), so you'd have a 3 day average. Now you only have a 2 day average.

You need to check all toilet tanks, faucets and all other water using appliances etc. for a water leak.

You need to buy a hardness test kit that will measure o or 2 or more gpg of hardness.

Increase the salt dose to 15 lbs and do a manual regeneration. Then reduce it to 6 lbs and see what happens.

How hard is your water? How much iron?
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 03:54 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
You should check on what DLFC should be in the control. If a 1.5 etc. then change it. The additional water flow will mess up the programing and cause this problem.

Earlier in this thread you had suggested a 1.5. The 2.7 that I have came with the machine.

Quote:
The Regen Today flashing means the gallons for 'today' have gotten down to the reserve capacity and it will regen tonight.

Yep, of that I'm aware.

Quote:
That means you are probably using more than 60gals/person/day

Taking my gallons used above and dividing by the days I get 1065 div by 12 = 88gpd. That's roughly 2/3rds of 60gpd/pp.

Quote:
or more likely you've used a lot more water 'yesterday' than the average

The "laundry" days were 258 and 223 gallons used - way over the 60gpd/pp. But there's no way around this yes?

Quote:
BUT... your variable reserve is not totally functional yet, you need three weeks (21 days), so you'd have a 3 day average. Now you only have a 2 day average.

Does something figure this out automatically?

Quote:
You need to check all toilet tanks, faucets and all other water using appliances etc. for a water leak.

There's nothing leaking. My gpd (88gpd total average, 2 people) signifies this yes?

Quote:
You need to buy a hardness test kit that will measure o or 2 or more gpg of hardness.

Okey dokey

Quote:
Increase the salt dose to 15 lbs and do a manual regeneration. Then reduce it to 6 lbs and see what happens.

10-4 on that. I'll change it for tonight's regen.

Quote:
How hard is your water? How much iron?

City water 12.5. Iron - none that I'm aware of. I'll try to double check.
0 Replies

Zozzie

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:34 pm
One more question Gary. I was just programing in the extra salt for tonight's regeneration (it was set at 4. I'm doing a flush with 15) and the screen before the salt pounds says "Capacity". It's set at "13.0 x1000".

What exactly is this and what should the number be for my setup?

Thanks.
0 Replies