Plans are set for the Hawaii/Sglass meet up!

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:24 pm
CJ, I thought the period of the meet included our four days in Kona, so I didn't think there would be any problems with a conflict.

I could have advanced our date of arrival to Hawaii, but it's too late now.

Shite happens, and this is one of many. Sorry 'bout that!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:28 pm
My wife wants to attend a orientation this morning at the hotel to learn and book activities, so we'll probably be ready for almost anything after that.

I'll leave my cell phone on.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 01:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Sglass, We saw the Kona Inn, but it looked like a shopping mall. Is this the right place? T.

yup, you got it. That particular stretch of downtown Kona is Ali'i Drive, and it's pretty much all tourist stuff--gift shops & restaurants--for 3-4 blocks. It's right up against the harbor, hard to miss; finding cheap parking's a bigger challenge.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:43 am
Well, we finally got together with Sglass, Mr & Mrs Yitwail,, and Sglass's friend, Charlot(sp). Sglass drove us to the marina where we had lunch, and the Yitwails joined us as we finsihed. The Yitwail's showed us two areas by the the shoreline where we hoped to see some humpbacks juming out of the water, but they were not cooperating with us. We did see some huge turtles, and as I walked along the beach, I saw a lady looking out at the water, so asked if she sighted some whales. She said she saw some yesterday and today. The Yitwails then showed us another beach area that was quite crowded with people. We spent about an hour at both places, then had to head back to our hotels to freshen up to meet again for dinner at the Kona Inn restaurant. This turned out to be our "gathering" for Hawaii, but Sglass will be spending the next two days with us. My big disappointment is that Merry Andrew was unable to join us.

I'm going to call Sglass now to ask her to join us for breakfast.

Till later.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:44 pm
I'm glad you guys hooked up.

My friend called from her ship and said they were told not to bother coming ashore because of the flooding that closed Kamehameha Road in the downtown area so I didn't get to see her, either.

We stayed at the Wyndham Mauna Loa Resort on the Kona side. It was lovely. We had drinks at the kona Inn (nice server named Nadine) and had lots of great food and, of course, shopping.

Coming back to Hilo we saw every site and drove through all the towns (Waimea, Honomou??) - very different countryside - I felt I was in the Okanagan in BC.

Anyway, we're off to Honolulu in about two hours and we're renting a car so as to drive to the beaches and see a bit more than just the downtown. I'll do some pics when I get home.

Sorry to have missed most of you, but it was good to see you, Sglass. I hope everything worked out for you.

Aloha!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:52 pm
Ships passing in the night Mame. So glad you had a good time with your family.

I'm home to Hilo and I am exhausted.

It was a wonderful dinner and I was delighted to meet the Yits who very graciously had us out to their home for the last night. Mr. & Mrs. CI
and I spent a wondertful day at the Wakailoa Hilton at the pool and does CI ever have a suprise for you.

More later back to my taxes.

Sg
0 Replies