Plans are set for the Hawaii/Sglass meet up!

Sglass

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:20 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Sglass wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Say hello to my ex. Eh, she wants me to go visit, but I've never had any desire to go to Hawaii. If I'm going to buy an expensive plane ticket and travel for a whole day, I'm going to another country. I still predict I'll take a trip out there at some point.

Hawaii is another country Slappy. Does the ex live on the Big Island?

You know what I mean.

Oahu, outside Honolulu.

Big Island is very laid back in comparison to Oahu. Think about it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 02:00 am
I hate it when I forget to diable the HTML thing.

<Begins swimming>
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 01:01 pm
Brrrrrrrchilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly here in Boston.

Have been on the net looking for reasonable airfare back to Hilo.

I can get out of here Wednesday for under $500. Boston to Vegas on USAir, about a two hour layover (hmmm do I have time to hit the slots on the strip?). The slots at the airport s**k. Then on to Oakland from Vegas and then jump the puddle on ATA to Hilo. How does that sound.

Then I can devote my time to the Hawaii/Seaglass meet.

aloha
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 02:18 pm
The slots are in the airport. Wink
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 03:11 pm
Laughing the ladies room too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 05:06 pm
Are there "fixed" dates for the Big Island gathering? We're trying to make reservations to stay over in three islands while we are there, and have 3-4 days to tie down for the gathering.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:14 pm
Mame is coming in Feb 3 through 11. A friend of hers is doing the all island cruise ship thing and will be coming into Hilo Port one day and Kona the following day. They will probably want to go out to the lava flow. I don't know what those dates are. I'll pm her when I finish here. I also have to get in touch with the Yitwals on Kona side, as I thought the Kona Inn right on the bay in Kona would be a great spot for the official gathering. Or even, if folks would like it, there is a harbor cruise that is fabulous.

The other thought is the Hilo Yacht Club, but I don't know if they accept reservations from non-members. I will do some emailing and see what results I get.

Give Mame a pm.

aloha
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 02:44 pm
The Meet will be held at Kona Inn in Kona, fabulous food and fabulous view.

Just haven't nailed down what day. As I say Mame is in Hilo for the week of 4-11, she has a couple of friends that will be coming into Hilo Port on a cruise ship the 4th and she'll spend the day with them. Have to find a calendar. Stay tuned.

I'm checking the airlines for cheap fares and good days to fly. I want to be back in Hilo next week. I had a tenant move and I don't have a property manager so I have to get back and get someone in so I'll have some income.

THINK HAWAII MEET.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:20 pm
Ya know something CI, I do not have a 2008 calander. The Merry One and I are going out to din-din and will pick up one at the bookstore at Pru Center tonight so I know what the heck I am doing.

What's good for you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:45 pm
So far, we're planning to be in Hawaii from about January 31 for 11 or 12 nights. It has to be the first or last destination on this trip, because Oahu is the trade-off between the two. Maui will be the "middle" destination.

Still trying to get some package deals together that includes all airline, hotel and a rental car.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:09 pm
Hi CI:

We will be in Honolulu on the night of the 3rd (flying in), going to Hilo the morning of the 4th. Hope to hook up with MJ and Lois that day. They have to be back on their boat by 6:00 p.m.

They're going to be in Kona on the 6th, so would love to see them again. Once more, they have to be back on the boat by 6 p.m. So, that day would be great for a Kona hook up.

We're back in Honolulu on the 11th, overnighting and flying home on the 12th.

Anytime you want to get together is fine with us. We don't have an agenda for any particular day and we'll have a car so when we hook up, my son and g/f can stay in Hilo, if they don't want to join us.

Doing the harbour dinner sounds lovely because we planned to do one anyway, as well as exploring Kona, so we can kill several birds with one stone.

You seem to have more time restrictions than we do, so why don't you let us know what works for you?

Sglass: the 4th of February is a Monday. Sounds like CI will be there exactly when we will be.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:52 pm
dadpad

Jetstar flies to Hawaii now - not too expensive!

?comfort - not too.......

Seaglass - when is the best time to go to Hawaii? When is the weather at its best?

Anything else I should consider?

Is his Merry-ship planning a trip out?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:00 pm
Are you thinking of going, margo??

yay!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:26 pm
My dear Margo,

Any time is a good time to come to Hawaii.

And yes, his lordship of the poetic pun will be there. He told me to extend a special invitation to the ladies of OZ to join him for a stroll on the black sand beach of Kalapana.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:35 pm
margo wrote:
when is the best time to go to Hawaii? When is the weather at its best?

weather should be fine in Feb. Feb is also a good time to see migrating humpbacks, on the Kona side anyway. if you park some place on the coast that isn't overly developed with a clear view & sit tight for a while, you'll most likely see some spouts, or even a breach if you're lucky. Cool

or if that fails, a white whale might appear at the Kona Inn restaurant.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:12 pm
Mame wrote:
Are you thinking of going, margo??

yay!

Laughing probably not in February - not a great time, workwise. But - am thinking of travelling that way - eventually. Ain't never been to the US of A. Mostly travel in Europe, which I find endlessly fascinating.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:37 pm
Here's our schedule:
Feb 1 to 5: Waikiki Flt from San Jose to Honolulu ARR: 12:30PM
Feb 5: flight to Maui ARR: 4:12PM
Feb 5 to 9: Maui
Feb 9: flight to Hawaii ARR: 4:13PM
Feb 9 to 13: Hawaii
Feb 13: flight to Honolulu DEP: 11:22AM ARR: 12:08PM DEP: 2:05pm ARR: San Jose 9:05pm
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:51 pm
CI, looks like the 10th would be the day for the meet in Kona since Mame heads out on the 11th. Coordinate with her and the meet will be worked around your schedules.

Do you not have a cousin that lives in Hilo?

Kona Inn is great and Yitwail agrees. Also talk to him.

Cold and blustery in Boston, I am ready to head into Hilo next week.

ciou
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 09:04 pm
Sglass, I have a cousin in Oahu. Used to visit Hawaii almost every year when my brother in law was stationed at Hickam, but that was almost seven lifetimes ago. This will be our first visit back to the islands of Hawaii since 1995.

My father was born in Maui, so we still have "roots" there. Besides, I enjoy Maui.

I just remember the Ala Moana Hotel Sunday brunch we enjoyed when we were young. You can imagine how long ago that was~!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:59 pm
Just made my reservations back to Paradise. I'm outta here Monday, the 17th to Hilo. I had thought about a stop over in San Francisco for a couple of days, but with Christmas just around the corner I thought I'd better get home and start getting ready for the gathering.

Now I've got to gets stuff together to get home.

Aloha
0 Replies