Why does everyone HATE the police?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:45 pm
Frank R wrote:
I was just recently reading the begginings of this posting and I had noticed that there are quite a few people who arent really too happy with their local police force. But I really wanted to ask this of a few people... when you are in trouble, or somthing bad happens to you, who is the first people you call. (911) (the number not the date although the date could work as an example of this) Anyways, my point is, that when you are in trouble, you call the police. If you get robbed, or something along the lines of the sort, you know damn well who you call so lay off them.

That's their job, not a reason to lay off of them.

In the neighborhood I grew up in, the police were as likely to harass you, if called for something bad, then help you. Houston cops aren't the most helpful folks in the world in bad areas. I've seen them perform many criminal acts, knowing that they would never be held responsible for them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:46 pm
Frank R wrote:
I was just recently reading the begginings of this posting and I had noticed that there are quite a few people who arent really too happy with their local police force. But I really wanted to ask this of a few people... when you are in trouble, or somthing bad happens to you, who is the first people you call. (911) (the number not the date although the date could work as an example of this) Anyways, my point is, that when you are in trouble, you call the police. If you get robbed, or something along the lines of the sort, you know damn well who you call so lay off them.

I call Smith & Wesson and Glock. 911 is an afterthought. The police really have no legal requirement to protect you from anything. The SCOTUS agrees.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:47 pm
Frank R wrote:

No one would dispute what you say. The problem is that, too often, there is police abuse. For instance, true speed traps on the highway are usually abusive.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
I still wanna know why everyone hates the Police?
I thought they were a pretty good band, with some good songs.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:01 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I still wanna know why everyone hates the Police?
I thought they were a pretty good band, with some good songs.

I am shocked at you. Based on the above, you may be expelled from the literalist society. But, then again, you may be being literal, since the author did not specify the police to whom he was referring.

But, maybe, you really have a sense of humor.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:12 pm
I don't hate the police at all.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:18 pm
I think that the police's first and foremost obligation is not to protect and serve themselves, but to protect and serve all of the public regardless of how some of the public may act.

No one is forced to become a cop. Thus the personal risk a cop takes on is done so willingly.

This personal risk should not be moderated in any way, if it interferes with their primary ability to protect and serve all of the public regardless of how some of the public may act.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:19 pm
A black reporter for the New York Times recently went to interview black gang members at a particularly infamous corner. He was in a suit and tie, talking to the members. The police arrested him for loitering and took him in to the station, despite his protestations. The police later let him go free after verifying his connection with the NYTs.

I think this was abusive, and could lead to hatred of the police.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:35 pm
Perhaps Advocate, but you weren't there to know if it was or not.

It's very unlikely that police would arrest someone in a suit for no reason at all (they wouldn't fit the the 'usual client' bill, and are likely to have money to boot, which means a challenge in court, and more work).

(Of course 'black gang members on a particularly infamous corner' makes it sound drug related)

Then again, perhaps they had a brain snap and arrested him for no reason at all while they could be doing other things.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:39 pm
You wouldn't happen to have a source for that would you?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 03:05 pm
police are like everyone else...some good some bad.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 03:12 pm
I hate The Police because Sting just rubs me the wrong way.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:42 pm
vikorr wrote:
Perhaps Advocate, but you weren't there to know if it was or not.

It's very unlikely that police would arrest someone in a suit for no reason at all (they wouldn't fit the the 'usual client' bill, and are likely to have money to boot, which means a challenge in court, and more work).

(Of course 'black gang members on a particularly infamous corner' makes it sound drug related)

Then again, perhaps they had a brain snap and arrested him for no reason at all while they could be doing other things.

That is what the guy reported. I don't think he would take the chance of dreaming this up, as he would be fired were it shown to be untrue.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You wouldn't happen to have a source for that would you?

It is something I read about a month ago. Please do a search.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:03 pm
Quote:
That is what the guy reported. I don't think he would take the chance of dreaming this up, as he would be fired were it shown to be untrue.

Advocate, who said anything about dreaming the story up?

Surely you know media only reports one aspect of a story, so as to make it sellable. What is left unreported often puts an entirely different complexion on things.

As an example, the media here showed a 10-15 second clip of three police jumping on a woman and physically restraining her, calling it an excessive use of force. From friends in the police force, they didn't mention the woman was mentally ill and attacking/harrassing members of the public, and that police spent 30 minutes trying to difuse the situation peacefully.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:03 am
Advocate wrote:
The problem is that, too often, there is police abuse. For instance, true speed traps on the highway are usually abusive.

Are there false speed traps? What is a true speed trap Confused
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:11 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
police are like everyone else...some good some bad.

Yup!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:12 am
Police Tribute-Bad Boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHrbly39QI
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:54 am
I know why.

"There's a little black spot on the sun today.... it's the same old thing, as yesterday...."
0 Replies

Frank R

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 01:21 pm
Well, there is no doubt that there is some good cops and that there are some bad cops but if we are going to go with that idea and run with it then you are saying that all of the horrible leaders of the world are good for everyone. So you are saying that there was no reason to dislike Lenin or Putin or Saddam. You are just saying that there are some good and that there are some bad? The thing is, cops are no under flak all around for the use of tasers. (I think that I may regret bringing this into this) But the truth is, and that some stated it, being a police officer is voluntary, and because of this, Why should they be under flak from use of a weapon that is without doubt, saves lives. What would you rather be shot by a gun or by a taser. Anyways, that is my rant for today. So I am now awaiting your flak to hit me with a storm from hell. Good day.
0 Replies