Why does everyone HATE the police?

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 02:34 pm
Quote:
I quite sure that you know you are now talking about something a little different to the point my post was making.

your point was that complaints about the war on drugs should be aimed "squarely at the politicians."

okay, but if it engenders a bit of disgust with the police, there's a good reason. and i gave an example.

i think the two things are related, you don't. i think you made that clear enough to begin with, and i countered. neither of us gave much to support our feelings about it, so we're just stating what we think. that's okay, actually. either of us could be wrong.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 02:59 pm
Quote:
i think the two things are related, you don't. i think you made that clear enough to begin with, and i countered. neither of us gave much to support our feelings about it, so we're just stating what we think. that's okay, actually. either of us could be wrong.

Oh I don't think they aren't related, I just think that you were making a separate point. The one I was making being the CAUSE of the war on drugs, the one you were making being a possible RESULT of the war on drugs.

Quote:
okay, but if it engenders a bit of disgust with the police, there's a good reason. and i gave an example.

Mistakes cause you disgust? (or are you talking about something different)

Humans will never avoid them, and few of us intentionally make them.

As an example of a ongoing continual mistakes by people working for an organisation, do you feel disgust for doctors too? They kill people every day because they don't have the competency to carry out the surgery, or they have a lapse in concentration, or they diagnose the wrong illness, or the nurse gets the charts mixed up, or they leave equipment behind inside the patient, or they don't use antiseptic on their hands etc.

As an aside : Here in Queensland Australia, one 'surgeon' who has fled to the US (where he originally came from, and was deregistered there, but our dumbass system never picked it up), was linked to the deaths of 82 patients, and I believe they are still doing up manslaughter/murder charges against him for about 9 of them, and preparing extradition paperwork, but I haven't heard anything for quite a while on that case.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:19 pm
Quote:

let's look at your rephrasing of everything i said into the word "mistake..."

stubbing your toe is a "mistake." eating at mcdonald's is a "mistake."

the kinds of "mistakes" that happen because of the current administration, and often because of the overzealous participation of the police would be better described as f***ing tragedies.

and yes, particularly stupid, pointless tragedies, that police contribute to, do cause me disgust. if you want to make it a chicken and egg thing, i'll blame both. i don't think that's unrelated to the point you made, it simply (and directly) disagrees with it. that or we agree, but either way, it's completely related to your point as far as i'm concerned. you said that you think i know it's not. i know that i think you must be joking.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 07:49 pm
I'll bite. Why is eating at Mickey D's a "mistake"?

(note my mentor Mr. Nugent thinks the same thing and I disagree with him - at least partially).
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 07:58 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'll bite. Why is eating at Mickey D's a "mistake"?

(note my mentor Mr. Nugent thinks the same thing and I disagree with him - at least partially).
I was thinking the exact same thing. I like McDonald's. Heck I used to eat there on Christmas. Does Ted not like them either? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 08:03 pm
I tend to search out Chinese fast food on Christmas when all else is closed. Laughing

Da Nuge feels all fast food is poison. Me, I don't see how you can travel the USA without stopping at a McD's once in awhile. Sometimes it's really the best option, especially since they've improved their menu choices the last few years. Plus they have great coffee.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 08:39 pm
Well, now I get a peanut butter sandwich for Christmas due to spending the night at my sister's kennel with the dogs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 08:51 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:
I hate the police with respect to the vast majority of police auto chases.

They seem to be oblivious to the death and destruction in which a large percentage of these chases result. Moreover, they seem like cowboys who glory in the chase.

And you blame the police?
They dont cause the chases,the criminals do.

WRONG, THE POLICE DO NOT HAVE TO CHASE ITS THEIR CHOICE.

I've mixed feelings on the chase question, but - letting people zoom about seems as least as stupid as chasing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 08:57 pm
ossobuco wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:
I hate the police with respect to the vast majority of police auto chases.

They seem to be oblivious to the death and destruction in which a large percentage of these chases result. Moreover, they seem like cowboys who glory in the chase.

And you blame the police?
They dont cause the chases,the criminals do.

WRONG, THE POLICE DO NOT HAVE TO CHASE ITS THEIR CHOICE.

I've mixed feelings on the chase question, but - letting people zoom about seems as least as stupid as chasing.

At least the police are trying to protect the public and stop the bad guy. It's a tough call on when to break off the chase for public safety.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 09:06 pm
"Why does everyone HATE the police?"
That is the title of this thread. After reading the posts I think it should have read: "Why I hate the police"

well that's just my opinion and what the heck do I know Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 09:09 pm
I agree with you on that, cjhsa.

Slaps cjhsa, hey, it's ok..
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:00 am
TTH wrote:
After reading the posts I think it should have read: "Why I hate the police"

i really tried to answer the question based on how it was phrased, that is, to explain the problems that *people* might have with them. if i'd phrased the question as well, i wouldn't have used the word "hate," probably a stronger word than necessary to describe how i feel. there's a real lack of respect for corruption, but i've tried to make clear that some cops are worth admiration, for what that's worth.

as for mcdonald's, there's so many things i don't like about them. the way they bulldoze rainforest, the factory farming, the food itself is awful in my opinion, although anyone that sues them for getting fat is absolutely nuts- i cut this post in half, i think the rest of it would be too much and completely hijack the thread. to be honest, the bit about mcdonald's was meant as a "throwaway" joke, i wasn't hoping to turn that into a discussion anywhere on the forum.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:43 am
Quote:

Are you aware that you gave a scenario that had little to no detail in it relating to how (in this scenario) police came to shoot a person? Now, I expanded on that…if it doesn't fit your scenario that is fine, simply make a correction to what I was saying...but as it is, and without correction, it certainly sounds like you are talking about police making a mistake.

Quote:
Quote:

Here I asked if my interpretation of what you were saying was correct. If it isn't, simply say so and clarify what you mean. Going off on tangents like below make your reasons for disliking police hard to follow.

Quote:

stubbing your toe is a "mistake." eating at mcdonald's is a "mistake."

the kinds of "mistakes" that happen because of the current administration, and often because of the overzealous participation of the police would be better described as f***ing tragedies. (no detail provided here)

and yes, particularly stupid, pointless tragedies, that police contribute to, do cause me disgust. (no detail here)

Quote:
i don't think that's unrelated to the point you made, it simply (and directly) disagrees with it.

that or we agree, but either way, it's completely related to your point as far as i'm concerned

What I've already said, is that they are related :

Oh I don't think they aren't related, I just think that you were making a separate point. The one I was making being the CAUSE of the war on drugs, the one you were making being a possible RESULT of the war on drugs.

Cause and Result are always related.

Quote:
if you want to make it a chicken and egg thing, i'll blame both.

For the war on drugs? Or for your scenario death?

In relation to the scenario death, I've already said this :

You are talking now about a mistake made by police where they enter the wrong home, which is entirely the police's responsibility…then, you add in the death of a person…which in a real life situation most likely results from the home owner threatening the life of the police officers, and the police officers then shooting him dead….

Of course, in that scenario none of it would ever have happenned in the first place without the antidrug laws being in place.

Which agrees with what you are saying as far as I can see.
Quote:
and yes, particularly stupid, pointless tragedies, that police contribute to, do cause me disgust.

Well, I did ask once before - does your digust at mistakes that lead to death apply to doctors as well?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 10:35 am
Vikorr, our congress passes the drug laws (on the federal level). My point is that the justice/corrections industry represents many people and considerable money, used to lobby, etc., congress to pass and keep the drug laws.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:05 pm
Hi Advocate,

Could you be more specific on which group of people (or which individuals) within the Justice system you are referring to?

Also, what motives do you asribe to the group of people lobbying to keep such laws?

I remember reading once that the pharmaceuticals companies have a self interest in keeping Marijuana illegal, but they aren't part of the Justice System.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:33 am
vikorr wrote:
Hi Advocate,

Could you be more specific on which group of people (or which individuals) within the Justice system you are referring to?

Also, what motives do you asribe to the group of people lobbying to keep such laws?

I remember reading once that the pharmaceuticals companies have a self interest in keeping Marijuana illegal, but they aren't part of the Justice System.

About half the people in prison are there in connection with illegal drugs.

The drug laws make it necessary to hire large numbers of police and corrections officers. It also requires the purchase of large amounts of autos and other equipment, as well as the construction, at huge cost, of more prisons. The money involved is huge. Thus, many people and corporations profit from the criminalization of drugs, and lobby for its retention.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:38 am
The following covers a recent police auto chase in my area. The police officer said he heard some noise, which made him feel compelled to chase, at speeds up to 100 mph, another auto. Thus, the officer so chased an auto without even knowing that a crime was committed. The driver of the chased auto was driven to his death.

Police say driver fled, died in crash
Wreck is 2nd of '07 in a chase by Mint Hill officers
MELISSA MANWARE
[email protected]
A driver who was being chased by Mint Hill police died in a fiery wreck Saturday morning in southeast Charlotte, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.

It's the second time in less than a year that a driver fleeing from Mint Hill police caused a crash. In January, a Charlotte woman was injured when a pickup being chased by police struck her minivan and spun it into the path of a city bus.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, who are investigating the wreck because it happened in their jurisdiction, said a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis was speeding and being chased by a Mint Hill officer just after 4 a.m.

The Marquis driver lost control on Margaret Wallace Road, near Sam Newell Road, when the vehicle crossed the center line, slid off the left side of the road and struck a brick neighborhood entrance sign. The car burst into flames and the driver was killed, police said.

Mint Hill police Chief Brian Barnhardt, who was in Kansas City, Mo., on Saturday, said the chase is under investigation. He declined to comment further.

It was not clear why an officer was chasing the car or where the chase began. Officer J. Hatley said Mint Hill police will not release details until Monday.

The name of the driver was not released Saturday because family members had not been notified. The driver was alone in the car, police said.

Most police agencies in the region allow officers to chase someone suspected of a felony but not a misdemeanor. Some, including Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, require the alleged crime to pose a serious danger before beginning a chase.

Mint Hill police officers are allowed to chase suspects at their discretion, though they first must get approval from an on-duty supervisor.

Hatley said the department's pursuit policy was reviewed after the January wreck but was not changed.

The January chase reached 115 mph and covered 14 miles in 40 minutes from Mint Hill to just west of uptown Charlotte. The driver was ultimately arrested and charged with 13 offenses, including reckless driving and possession of a stolen vehicle. Records show the charges are pending in court.

At the time, Barnhardt said his officers acted appropriately. He said the truck was stolen, its driver was suspected in several break-ins, and when an officer approached the vehicle the driver tried to run him down.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:55 am
GOOD
About time a driver speeding died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:56 am
vik, if you're going to build a strawman out of two lines i wrote, and then complain about a five line "tangent" that i posted to clarify the difference between what i was saying and what you were rephrasing it as, please don't expect me to read a page and a half of pointless rhetoric whilst you go out of your way to misread the original two lines and to dismiss the following five.

it's just not honest.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:09 am
TTH wrote:
GOOD
About time a driver speeding died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, a speeder died, and you favor the death penalty for such a person. I wager you have sped on occasion.

Often, however, it is an innocent driver or pedestrian with lousy luck, or even the police officer.
0 Replies