Why does everyone HATE the police?

mysteryman

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 10:40 am
Advocate wrote:
I hate the police with respect to the vast majority of police auto chases.

They seem to be oblivious to the death and destruction in which a large percentage of these chases result. Moreover, they seem like cowboys who glory in the chase.

And you blame the police?
They dont cause the chases,the criminals do.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 03:09 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:

They seem to be oblivious to the death and destruction in which a large percentage of these chases result. Moreover, they seem like cowboys who glory in the chase.

MM, if that is true, then why are so many jurisdictions banning chases in almost all cases?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:11 pm
Advocate wrote:
Half, don't believe everything that the police tell you.

Finn, my statements were in connection with abusive auto chases. I very much appreciate the police when they act properly, and in a general sense.

And you hate doctors who cut off the wrong leg, and DA's who withold crucial evidence from defense attys, teachers who fail a kid because he has a ton of smarts but a smart mouth, and priests who molest children...but do you hate doctors, DA's, teachers and priests?

Probably not, and you may not hate all police, but the point is made to all the fools who suggest they do or should.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:17 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
right, i'm really leaning towards reading a full page of red text that begins by calling what it's responding to "jibber jabber."

Do or don't. Can't say I'm disappointed by the prospect of no additional jibber jabber.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:31 pm
I don't know policemen or women personally in real life, though I sure do in police procedurals -- except for a female homicide detective my hub met in relation to a screenplay he was writing (no, you never heard of it). She was in the sheriff's department in LA.. We liked her just fine - over a few years we had some good dinner conversations, past any script questions.

I take people as I find them. I think there are heroic police people, to some extent heroic every day, and totally corrupted or fascistic people and police folk spread thin, trying their best. Clues from the hierarchy probably affect morale and sensitivities too. Anyway, I don't see people in the police department as a monolith, although at times I get that can coalesce to ill effect.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:13 am
Aperson, I take it live in New Zealand? If so, the posters in the US need to understand that NZ police don't carry guns on their hips (I'm lead to believe they keep them locked in their vehicles).

Of course NZ police don't face the same dangers as US police, where lots of people both criminal, insane, and decent carry guns on their person. I would hazard a guess that US police are much more strict about the behaviour allowed towards them (without the power to enforce such?), because of the greater likelihood of them getting shot.

About the only people I ever hear about getting guns pulled on them in Australia, are the victims of armed robberies, or people with drug related dealings.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn
I've met good cops in my time. I've met far, far more bad cops.

Quote:
Tinygiraffe
all of the dealings i've had with the police have been negative

I'm wondering why you meet so many cops. In 36 years, I received 3 traffic tickets, been pulled over for Random Breath Tests, talked to them twice when my house was broken into, and had virtually no other dealings with them (while they were on duty anyway).

Quote:
Edgarblythe
A police officer has to go to egregious extremes to get in deep trouble. They develop an "Us against them" mental outlook that can make them turn on us without good cause.
Quote:
Tinygiraffe
that they do, the difference is simple. when a rogue firefighter gets around to starting fires, the other firemen back away and let society devour him. there are some damned fine firemen. now that's a brave, selfless job.

My brother is a paramedic, who thought about being a police officer. A friend was a fireman who did become a police officer. Perhaps such people are just attracted to the emergency services. And my other brother is a police officer also - I don't know if he's ever thought about joining one of the other emergency services, never thought to ask him.

Quote:
Find dAbuzz
Cops who break the law should pay the same penalty as anyone else who breaks the same law.

In Australia they pay a higher penalty. One cop just got three years for breaking a female prisoners nose and then perjuring himself (the newspaper didn't report if there was any reason for breaking the prisoners nose)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:18 am
tinygiraffe said...
Quote:
that they do, the difference is simple. when a rogue firefighter gets around to starting fires, the other firemen back away and let society devour him. there are some damned fine firemen. now that's a brave, selfless job.

Speaking for myself and all the other members of my fire dept, I thank you for those words.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:06 am
mm, hey, i always try to give credit where it's due. everytime i see a fireman, i'm proud of him and his work. i mean, he's got more right to be proud than perhaps i do, but he's a fellow human being and all. these are people to look up to.

i already mentioned that there are good cops. some firemen are also cops, some emt's are also cops. i imagine that emt's and firefighters make the best cops. brave, with an ingrained respect for human life and general well-being.

if emt or firefighter was a pre-req for being a policeman, there might not be any crooked cops.

or there might be more crooked emt's and firefighters. i don't disagree with the "jaded" hypothesis that someone else mentioned, i just find that it bothers me, even if it's true.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:14 am
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:

WRONG, THE POLICE DO NOT HAVE TO CHASE ITS THEIR CHOICE.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:15 am
PEOPLE HATE POLICE BECAUSE THEY ARE HYPOCRITICAL.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:19 am
OGIONIK wrote:

THAT MAY POSSIBLY BE, BUT IT IS STILL AN AD HOMINEM ATTACK, WHICH IS THE EQUIVALENT IN A LOGICAL DEBATE TO SAYING NOTHING AT ALL.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:06 pm
Quote:
WRONG, THE POLICE DO NOT HAVE TO CHASE ITS THEIR CHOICE.

Just a point of quibble. It is a police officers duty to bring an officer to justice. They make the decision to chase, and it is part of their duties. They also have a duty to protect life and property. So it is a conflicted duty.

The offender makes a choice to speed away...and commits further offences by doing so. The offender bears full responsibility for the choice he makes.

Police contribute to the initiation and continuation of the chase. They are responsible for the choice they make regarding how they carry out their duties.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:43 am
ITS STILL THEIR CHOICE. just as it was their choice to become a cop in the first place.

lol , why do people hate police? simple answer, the other day im sitting at a red light and i see a cop car make a right hand turn! can you believe that! A RIGHT HAND TURN! on an 8 lane road from the far left turn lane.
And the light was ******* red, i didnt even register it at first i was like "did that cop reeally just make a right from the left lane at a red light in traffic??!?!?!?!"

he than proceeded to pull into the taco bell drive thru.

Why do they get to ignore laws they find inconvenient again? and this isnt just once, THEY HAVE ONE RED LIGHT ON A STREET BY MY HOUSE between 2 police stations, police are always "racing" each other, i mean it sounds ridiculous, but they literally fire up their lights and drag race.

then we have almost getting hit by speeding cops, like 4 times. without any lights flashing or sirens of course, those would make it easier to spot a speeding hunk of metal.

lets see, then theres the police enforcing laws on drugs, i mean if the government doesnt get it yet they dont own our bodies. the war on drugs is completely idiotic. They just announced a steep price increase in cocaine due to their enforcement, GUESS WHAT NOW EVEN MORE PEOPLE ARE GONNA TRY TO SELL IT!!!! NICE JOB YOU SUCCEEDED IN STIMULATING THE COCAINE MARKET! see? its plain and simple stupidity.
these people run our economy and they cant grasp simple economics? give me a break!

Theres speeding tickets, i mean its like we use our tax dollars to pay for all these police, to protect us, then we end up paying for these police by making them ticket speeders all day, then they are so busy writing speeding tickets they dont notice that they are a bigger impediment to a safer society than a car theif.

Then theres the thing they do everytime they stop you, that verbal judo ****, they lie to you trying to catch you in a lie or they intimidate you, they assume they know you by your clothes and the way you dress, they dont accept NOT submitting like a dog and they will always try to establish some kind of dominant presence, i mean come on already! we get it YOU HAVE POWER THATS COOL!

It comes down to the ego i think, ive only met a few cops i didnt think were strung out on meth or completely incompetent.

Like my friend said to me one day, if they all pass the same psych test doesnt that mean they basically have an army of idiots who think the way they want them to?

im inclined to agree!

Reasons not to hate police? only one. they got my bike back when it got stolen when i was in 4th grade.

Hmm nice trade, freedom for a bike!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:49 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

THAT MAY POSSIBLY BE, BUT IT IS STILL AN AD HOMINEM ATTACK, WHICH IS THE EQUIVALENT IN A LOGICAL DEBATE TO SAYING NOTHING AT ALL.

their purpose is to enforce laws.
i witness more police breaking laws then citizens.

i think my argument cuts right to the bone of the whole issue, no?

logical debate? on the politics forum? PUHLEASE!

politics is the epitome of human stupidity.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:23 pm
The New Zealand news has scrapped this topic. It's now focusing on the All Blacks loss against France. I'm still in denial.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 12:56 am
Quote:
ITS STILL THEIR CHOICE

That's what I said.

Quote:
Why do they get to ignore laws they find inconvenient again? and this isnt just once, THEY HAVE ONE RED LIGHT ON A STREET BY MY HOUSE between 2 police stations, police are always "racing" each other, i mean it sounds ridiculous, but they literally fire up their lights and drag race.

Sounds like there's little accountability with your police force, which would really suck. It does make for a situation where it's much easier to hate police. Here in Australia, most of the states have had Royal Commissions into Police Corruption, and then set up an independent judicial body to oversee complaints against police (Queensland where I live, this happened somewhere between 1988-92 - they Jailed a Commisioner). If a police drag race has happened since, I haven't seen it in the news.

Quote:
lets see, then theres the police enforcing laws on drugs, i mean if the government doesnt get it yet they dont own our bodies. the war on drugs is completely idiotic.

That complaint should be aimed squarely at politicians. Police are there to enforce the laws politicians make - that is part of their job description (so it is pointless complaining about police enforcing the laws they are paid to enforce). If it's a problem with the laws you have, it is the politicians you need to complain to (or about).

Quote:
Theres speeding tickets

I notice in Asian countries where road rules are rarely enforced, that their roads are chaotic.

Still, once again, it's pointless complaining that they are carrying out part of their job description.

Although speed camera's I can understand people getting upset with them - but again, that is a political responsibility, whether or not it is carried out by police (some states in Australia it is, some it is carried out by other agencies)
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 11:50 am
Quote:
their purpose is to enforce laws.
i witness more police breaking laws then citizens.

i can sympathise.

Quote:
i think my argument cuts right to the bone of the whole issue, no?

yes, once i follow you. i read "THEY ARE" as "the people complaining" are. from context, i can see you meant the police are. my misunderstanding.

Quote:
logical debate? on the politics forum? PUHLEASE!

right, my expectations aren't really that high. i was just throwing that in.

Quote:
politics is the epitome of human stupidity.

and on that we're in complete agreement Smile cheers.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 11:54 am
Quote:
Quote:
lets see, then theres the police enforcing laws on drugs, i mean if the government doesnt get it yet they dont own our bodies. the war on drugs is completely idiotic.

That complaint should be aimed squarely at politicians. Police are there to enforce the laws politicians make - that is part of their job description...

the politician makes the law against drugs, the police turn the wrong man in the wrong house into swiss cheese, so hate the politician.

well, i half agree. it's the politician's fault, too.

reminds me of the old eddie izzard joke: "guns don't kill people... but i think the gun helps!"
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 12:54 pm
The drug war is a whole different ball of wax. I sincerely believe that it is perpetuated by the justice-corrections industry. It is extremely costly, unduly ruinous to many people, and, importantly, doesn't work.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 01:49 pm
Quote:
the politician makes the law against drugs, the police turn the wrong man in the wrong house into swiss cheese, so hate the politician.

well, i half agree. it's the politician's fault, too.

reminds me of the old eddie izzard joke: "guns don't kill people... but i think the gun helps!"

I quite sure that you know you are now talking about something a little different to the point my post was making. My post was in response to this :

Quote:

David was specifically talking about enforcing drug laws, and the war on drugs, which (my point) exists because of anti drug laws made by the politicians.

You are talking now about a mistake made by police where they enter the wrong home, which is entirely the police's responsibility…then, you add in the death of a person…which in a real life situation most likely results from the home owner threatening the life of the police officers, and the police officers then shooting him dead….

Of course, in that scenario none of it would ever have happenned in the first place without the antidrug laws being in place.

Quote:
Advocate :
The drug war is a whole different ball of wax. I sincerely believe that it is perpetuated by the justice-corrections industry. It is extremely costly, unduly ruinous to many people, and, importantly, doesn't work.

The justice system makes the laws they enforce? Perhaps you would like to clarify what you mean.
0 Replies