Why does everyone HATE the police?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:34 am
Halfback wrote:
Amidst some of the hype posted on this subject, we have to remember that in any segment of the population the standard distribution curve appears. Cops? A certain percentage will be bad cops of one type or another. A certain percentage will be exceptional cops. The rest fall in between the two extremes. The standard description for the "bad" end of any distribution curve is "the ten percenters."

Most cops do their job well, under ever stronger duress and restrictions as time goes by. Moreover, they are faced with a general population that increasingly tend to believe that they have the God given right to do exactly as they please without regards to general peace and tranquility and the rights of others. In short, a lack of discipline. Liberty does not guarantee lisence.

I spent twenty years of my life in the Marines. Three years of that in places where it was perfectly OK for people to try to kill me. It was expected and one could "prepare" for the eventuality of the attempt. For the police it is entirely different. They go out every day in the effort to maintain social order never knowing if this will be the day that it turns into a combat zone. They never know if the little punk giving them lip will suddenly turn violent. They never know if the routine traffic stop will turn into a shoot out. They never know if a "domestic violence" call is going to turn against the answering officer. They never know.

Is it any wonder, then, that many of them tend to view the general population with a somewhat jaundiced eye?

Yeah, virtually any one of us can cite anecdotes where a cop was wrong, or exceeded his authority, the popular press is extremely fond of citing each and every instance of what they consider police wrongdoing. It's not a bad idea, really, it keeps those ten-percenter cops from getting out of hand.

What is generally not reported with the same enthusiasm are the ninety percenters who do their job, day to day, in the effort to minimize the effects of disruptive members of the population on the rest of us. My hat is always off to them. I make it a point to greet them when I see them. I enguage them in non-police/political discussion whenever the opportunity presents itself. I generally support their actions vis-a-vis those who consider police fascists or a threat to their personalized version of liberty which is really lisence to act without regards to the rest of societal norms, mores and laws.

Their job is to protect the population from the societal deviates, enforce the law and to maintain the day to day tranquility so that the rest of us can go about our business in peace and freedom. This is not easy.

Halfback

I agree; that's why police deserve two things.

1, respect.

2, to be watched themselves.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:43 am
Cycloptichorn: Agreed! So let it be written, so let it be done. :wink:

Halfback
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:08 pm
Halfback wrote:
Cycloptichorn: Agreed! So let it be written, so let it be done. :wink:

Halfback

Didn't Yul Brynner say that in the Ten Commandments?

Anyway, God Bless you for serving our country.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:37 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
well then you would appear to be more reasonable than your fascist-humping counterpart.

More jibber-jabber. React to the post at hand, without aggregating.

extreme measures are great philosophical amusements, but don't assume everyone criticizing the police is out to get rid of them. i'm sure there's some kind of balance that can struck, although i may be wrong. calling all critics "whiners" isn't going to leave society duly checked, however.

I don't know if you are wrong but whether or not the critics of the police are "out to get rid of them," they are certainly bound, intentionally or otherwise, to emasculating them.

I have had my problems with individual police. So have many numerous others. If one extrapolates these problems to encompass the entire force, then one is probably bent (idiotically) on "getting rid of them."

If one believes in a pure earthly avatar of nobility, then, clearly, the vast majority of humanity comes up short. Police are certainly no different.

Society has established rules that benefit Society. Any and all rules require enforcement, and/or compliance unless one anticipates an entirely altruistic populace (fat chance).

Positive reinforcement is a half-assed play. Their must be consequences as well. Their are loads of people who will break the "rules" as long as Society doesn bug them. They don't need positive reinforcement, and they don't care for same. Just let them keep on doing the same old same old, with recrimination, and they could care less about Society's praise.

So let the miscreants break the rules because on the basis of moral relativism, we can understand why they would. This will inevitably lead to the destruction of Society.

Bottom line: We each have a life to protect and advance. Many of us have families to protect and advance.

What is more important, the rights of the miscreant or the security of ourselves and our families and friends?

If you answer the former, God bless those you love, but I suspect you are talking out of your ass. When it comes down to it, you will find it quite satisfying to protect your own.

all good cops have earned some great reward. i'm not saying they all receive it, hell, some of the best people on earth don't. but you and i both know that's a fact of life. good cops don't do it for the pensions or the prestige. if you want to reward good cops, by any reasonable means, i'll support it. i already support firemen in any way i can. some cops are just as good as they are.

but i'll keep my concerns as long as i feel i have good reason to, and besides that, what i do with my ass is my own business.

Indeed
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:39 am
Foofie: As a matter of fact Yul did! My wife and I have a bunch of favorite movie lines we tend to use as "inside" jokes, every so often they come out in general conversation. (Like: "PLAN?.... There ain't no plan.", from "Beyond Thunderdome.)

As for serving: "Thank you for your support." (Bartles and James) See? Laughing

Halfback
0 Replies

Frank R

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 09:02 pm
OK... Shocked for starters, there arent too many people out their who, if in their right mind, hate the police. Some of the **** that they have to deal with throughout their day on the job is just disgusting wrong and horrible with out people always bitching at them. And one other big thing. If you get hurt or someone is breaking intoyour house, who is the first person that you call? Ya thats what I thought. You call the police...
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 07:35 pm
I hate the police with respect to the vast majority of police auto chases.

They seem to be oblivious to the death and destruction in which a large percentage of these chases result. Moreover, they seem like cowboys who glory in the chase.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 09:15 pm
Advocate wrote:

They seem to be oblivious to the death and destruction in which a large percentage of these chases result. Moreover, they seem like cowboys who glory in the chase.

Conversely, then, you love the police when they let the "bad guy" get away? No matter the crime? Sad

Considering that a lot of the death and destruction is incurred in their own ranks, I assure you they are not oblivious to it. Not at all.

".....seem like cowboys who glory in the chase." From all the discussions with all the police I have had over the years, two scenarios come to the foremost as least favored amongst police, "domestic disturbance" calls and high speed chases. I suspect you have not really talked to any police officers at any great length if you were not aware of that. Therefore, the "Cowboy" comment is pure conjecture on your part and inadmissable. :wink:

Halfback
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 09:23 pm
Advocate wrote:

You, like the majority of Americans, have lived a peaceful life. Good for you!

Someday, however, your peaceful life may intersect with the foul underbelly of our society.

My bet is that if and when this happens you will not only be bleating for protection from the police, you will abuse them if they don't preserve your ass in exactly the fashion you expect.

Hate the police. It's your right. It is also your right to call upon them in your need, and guess what? Most times they will be there.

What does it say though about someone who calls upon the help of someone they publicly deride?

What a wonderful country we live in when citizens feel it is OK to abuse the institutions that protect them from chaos.

How insipid is this attitude when compared to the notions and concerns of people in truly lawless lands --- a very large number of such people.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 09:25 pm
Get some, FINN! Very Happy

Halfback
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 04:52 am
right, i'm really leaning towards reading a full page of red text that begins by calling what it's responding to "jibber jabber."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 06:19 am
My issue with the police is their insistence on pursuing revenue operations such as speed traps instead of concentrating on crime. Here in MI, in order to protect ONE police job or to buy a new cruiser, they will harass citizens endlessly with overblown speed trap operations.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 06:20 am
If people didn't speed, there would be no speed traps.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 07:08 am
McGentrix wrote:
If people didn't speed, there would be no speed traps.

Tell that to the cities that randomly puts up "35MPH" signs for no reason at all...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 07:27 am
Back to the topic, I wonder if it has anything to do with "Many miles away, something crawls to the surface, of a dark, Scottish lake.'
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 09:01 am
Half, don't believe everything that the police tell you.

Finn, my statements were in connection with abusive auto chases. I very much appreciate the police when they act properly, and in a general sense.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
I can always call and ask them why people hate them Laughing Laughing Laughing

oh, in WA state it is a bear and if you have to ask then you don't know.
OMG the bear word Shocked Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 02:45 pm
Advocate: In that most of the police I managed to elicit philosophical discussion from were friends... including:

1) Ex-Father in Law and a number of his acquaintances. (Detroit Street Cops all.)

2) Next door neighbor in Illinois and some of his cronies. Part of our Poker Playing group. (State Troopers, all.)

3) The local police dept. who frequented (and chatted) at the store I worked at (my last job after being down-sized from a much better job).

4) Others, more casual, perhaps might fall into your category of not necessarily being entirely outgoing with me. Although I usually give a person the benefit of the doubt unless I can prove that he/she is lying to me.

I find it interesting in that I read a lot of "humanitarian" in your posts, yet you are fully willing to discredit what a policeman/woman tells you, or at least hold it in general suspicion.

Does that sound just a teeny bit hypocritical?

Halfback
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 07:29 pm
Okay, I called them. DON'T YOU OR ANYONE ELSE DO IT!!!!!

I asked the cop why people hate them and this is what I was told:
"You tell me. We are the good guys. I do have some sociological theories."
At that point, I said omg I don't want to know that bad Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 02:32 am
Brilliant first post, Halfback, I totally agree.
0 Replies