Cops Suspect Parents In Missing British Girl Case

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 02:54 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I agree with your thoughts though, Steve. It's ludicrous to assume
that these two people murdered their own child while on vacation.
well of course its not impossible but its not likely. They were having dinner with others. Is it likely you kill your child then meet up with friends for pre dinner aperatifs? Or leave the dinner table to murder the baby? Possible but really not likely. Far more sinister imo is the collusion between vested interests in Portugal to ensure the resort and Portugal maintains its reputation as a family friendly holiday destination.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 02:58 pm
Boston.com article

So this is where I got the presumed fact that the car wasn't rented until Madelaine wa missing 25 days. If it is her blood there, quite a supposition in itself, then she wouldn't, presumably, have been killed before that, Miller - if indeed she has been killed or harmed. Unless some past renter of the car...

oh, never mind.

I agree there is a 'disconnect' that these people would kill their daughter on their vacation, or even do so accidentally.

All very odd.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:06 pm
From a comment in today's Telegraph

Quote:
We have been transfixed by the story because Madeleine is a pretty child whose parents are as removed as it is possible to be from the stereotypical image of a single mother going to the Costa Brava leaving the kids home alone. The fact that they are doctors, who save lives rather than take them, added to our fascination.

How many times in the past 127 days have you debated whether you would leave a three-year-old and two-year-old twin siblings, without adult supervision, while dining in a tapas bar a 52-second walk away?

But the other reason we have been absorbed is because we're filled with a mixture of admiration and disbelief at the way Kate McCann always appeared so immaculate in public, when most mums would have broken down long ago.

We so want to admire her. I hope at the end of this we still do.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:17 pm
Yes. I think most thoughful parents would not leave their children asleep in a strange environment, without an adult in earshot.
And not even in their own bedrooms either.

My personal sympathy is tempered by the fact that I think they were negligent.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:13 pm
Regarding Walter's quote from the Telegraph...

I've always wondered at parents that can appear calm when something like this happens. I'm facinated whenever I see a mother who is supposedly living the most horrific nightmare for a parent, appear on camera dressed tastefully, hair fixed and makeup on.
I wonder how did she open her jewelry box and choose a necklace? How did she decide what earrings to wear??

If I was in that situation, I doubt if I'd be able to dress myself, much less style my hair. Address the media? I probably wouldn't be able to form complete sentences.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:20 pm
McTag wrote:
Yes. I think most thoughful parents would not leave their children asleep in a strange environment, without an adult in earshot.

Well, when you have a demanding profession, three small children and
spend your vacation hovering around the kids, you very well want an evening to yourself and talk to other adults over dinner without the constant interruption from your kids. Sure they could have hired a babysitter, and in
retrospect it would have been the prudent thing to do, but they were just
a few feet away from their room. Had one of the kids cried, they probably
were close enough to hear it.

As a parent, one doesn't do the right thing at all times.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:24 pm
happycat wrote:

I've always wondered at parents that can appear calm when something like this happens. I'm facinated whenever I see a mother who is supposedly living the most horrific nightmare for a parent, appear on camera dressed tastefully, hair fixed and makeup on.
I wonder how did she open her jewelry box and choose a necklace? How did she decide what earrings to wear??

If I was in that situation, I doubt if I'd be able to dress myself, much less style my hair. Address the media? I probably wouldn't be able to form complete sentences.
Crying or Very sad

I don't know -- I think a lot of this stuff is automatic. A way to stave off chaos. There is still hope, and I think that (if, in fact, they don't already know she's dead) it makes sense that they would put every effort into trying to find her, and having the world aware of the problem and sympathetic to you would help that goal.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:26 pm
happycat wrote:

Crying or Very sad

I don't know, happycat, they (parents) have been in the public media for
the last few months, and if your picture would be blasted all over the world
press and you looked like hell, you probably would mind too.

I remember the parents of Elisabeth Smart, who were both very reserved,
impeccable dressed and rather calm when they spoke to the media. In public they put on a good front cover, who knows how desperate they were behind closed doors?

Remember Susan Smith who drowned her two little boys? She cried, and
cried in front of the camera, was completely distraught and seemed to
be close to a nervous break-down. She played well, didn't she?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:49 pm
I noticed the mediaphilia right away, and last, the Pope? - but I take no inferences, simply don't know. Pretty conniving if they were involved, and that's hard to believe.

but, alas, I can imagine needing to cover something up and cover something up some more.

The original kidnap thing is semi-fishy, and that may be what originally tweaked my interest.

One thing that comes to my mind, is that, often, people who take babies from hospitals are women who have lost their own or some similar motivation. Thinking, a helper on the property...

but I suppose they've checked that.

And, of course, pedophiles. I guess that is what I wonder about, one being right there, for those minutes.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:58 pm
McTag wrote:

Completely agree with you on all of this. Never leave little ones alone, I don't care if you're 52 seconds away... things happen and they're tiny. And in a foreign country - were they in a hotel? Other people around, no?

They most certainly are negligent; however, they will be far harder on themselves than anyone else. This is a real tragedy, whatever happened.

Sad, sad, sad.

I also agree with whomever suggested the incompetent Portuguese police just want closure.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 06:51 pm
Miller wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Miller wrote:
Checkout the abnormality observed in the iris of the child's eye:

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

What are you thinking this so called abnormality means, Miller?

If this abnormality isn't pigmentation, it looks like an iridectomy was performed on the child's iris.

"An iridectomy, also known as a surgical iridectomy or corectomy, is the surgical removal of part of the iris. These procedures are most frequently performed in the treatment of closed-angle glaucoma and iris melanoma".( see wikipedia for more info)

So?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 07:13 pm
I don't understand that either, dlowan.
I need to look up more about the iris, it might bifurcate, and the dark zone be related to that.

Probably a big so what, a tangent, but I wouldn't mind knowing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 10:07 pm
Quote:
But The Observer can reveal that it is the DNA analysis, painstakingly conducted over a period of weeks by the Forensic Science Service in Birmingham, that prompted Portuguese police to summon first Kate, then Gerry, for extended questioning and finally to class them both as suspects. The main focus of the inquiry is a small and degraded sample of blood found on the floor of the Praia da Luz holiday flat that matches perfectly, but incompletely, Madeleine's DNA profile.

But sources close to the team handling Madeleine's disappearance say that a further reason for the Portuguese police's sudden shift of focus is that they have concerns about alleged contradictions in the accounts of her disappearance given by her parents and their friends in the first days of the investigation.

The problem for the police - and the consolation for the McCanns and their circle - is that, even with major recent advances, DNA profiling is not an exact science. Particularly with samples degraded by time, as in this case, there can be no absolute certainty of a match. More importantly, science can say nothing conclusive about how a bit of Madeleine's blood, if it is indeed hers, might have got there in the first place. But by last night, the likelihood was that, whatever the direction of the investigation in the coming weeks, the McCanns' agony will get worse before it get better. The police have made it clear privately that they will want further and more detailed answers to clear up the mystery of the DNA samples. And all that against the background of feverish, often lurid, speculation by newspapers and broadcasters worldwide, which, until just days ago, were painting a portrait of Kate and Gerry McCann not as suspects, but as grieving parents

More in today's The Observer
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:33 am
This sounds like the Joan Benoit Ramsey case, doesn't it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:41 am
Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but my understanding is that under Portuguese law it seems necessary for the police to declare particular people as "suspects" in order to carry out more detailed investigations than they would otherwise be able to. There is already another person who has been declared a suspect & now Madeleine's parents. There could possibly be more suspects as well. Perhaps being a "suspect" means something different here to how we understand the term? Afterall, it seems they are free to leave the country (& not participate in further investigations) if they choose.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 01:59 am
McCanns to leave Portugal within hours: reports
London
September 9, 2007 - 11:10AM/the AGE

.......The McCanns' lawyer has said there are no restrictions on their movements but they must tell police if they plan to leave their residence for more than five days.

The couple both gave interviews to British newspapers which were published today criticising the police investigation.

Later, the McCanns' spokesman confirmed the plans in a statement, saying: "Kate and Gerry will be returning home to the UK this morning as originally planned. They will depart from Faro Airport.

"It is emphasised that their return is with the full agreement of the Portuguese authorities and police."

The McCanns have no bail conditions attached to their suspect status and still retain their passports.

But police could, in theory, apply for a court to impose movement restrictions.

AFP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/mccanns-to-leave-portugal/2007/09/09/1189276521845.html
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:52 am
Smart move...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:57 am
Miller wrote:
Smart move...

..if they want to retain their sanity!

I guess the Portuguese police could come to some extradition arrangement with the British police/government if they have grounds to lay charges against them .... or stop them from leaving the country at all.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 03:48 am
I repeat ...(stated privately on Thursday, posted yesterday)

Quote:
This "move" by the Portuguese police is much more likely to be a backlash to them being a focus for media criticism than anything else. IMO its simplistic aim is to try to get the circus "out of their hair" by trying to get the parents to "clear off".

They've now gone.....as predicted. :wink:

The so -called "forensic evidence" involves ascribing "suspect status" which is an attempted gagging order.

The "event" will turn out to be nothing more than the consequences of media hype.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 04:48 am
msolga wrote:
Miller wrote:
Smart move...

..if they want to retain their sanity!

I guess the Portuguese police could come to some extradition arrangement with the British police/government if they have grounds to lay charges against them .... or stop them from leaving the country at all.

All the publicity surrounding this is negative at the moment. Fact is, the lease on their house expires tomorrow and they have been planning for weeks to return this weekend.
The Portuguese police have applied no bail conditions. They are free to move as originally planned.

One of their friends or acquaintances saw a man carrying a child, who was dressed in pink pyjamas, on his shoulder on the evening that Madeleine disappeared. Madeleine had been dressed in pink pyjamas.
We don't hear too much about that at the moment.

Also, the report in The Observer if you care to read it all, is more specific about the alleged DNA trace. It was not blood, was not clearly the child's and could have been from anything the child had been in contact with over a period of weeks beforehand.
0 Replies