Cops Suspect Parents In Missing British Girl Case

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 03:14 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
The british press has lost their minds. Until such time as it becomes clear what happened to this kid we don't know if the parents had anything to do with it. Parents often kill their kids. Parents should always be suspected until they are ruled out, the press suggesting that they might have done it is completely fair.

Did they pay up because they are sacrificing principle for a cheaper option, or because the courts might have ruled against them??
It seems like they are not the only ones. This must be one of the craziest posts I've read for a while:

Quote:
Parents often kill their kids. Parents should always be suspected until they are ruled out...

prefaced by

Quote:
The british press has lost their minds
my italics
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:06 am
Of course the Express Newspaper group is owned by this wonderful example of newspaper proprietor Richard Desmond

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Desmond

20 years ago The Sun blamed Liverpool football supporters being drunk for causing the Hillsbrough (football stadium) disaster. They were not to blame an the Sun readership in Liverpool never recovered.

I sincerely hope people will not buy Express Group newspapers and put them out of business and Desmond into bankruptcy where he belongs.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:11 am
Was The Sun very wide of the mark about Hillsborough?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:36 pm
good question

pass

scousers thought so
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:27 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
The british press has lost their minds. Until such time as it becomes clear what happened to this kid we don't know if the parents had anything to do with it. Parents often kill their kids. Parents should always be suspected until they are ruled out, the press suggesting that they might have done it is completely fair.

Did they pay up because they are sacrificing principle for a cheaper option, or because the courts might have ruled against them??
It seems like they are not the only ones. This must be one of the craziest posts I've read for a while:

Quote:
Parents often kill their kids. Parents should always be suspected until they are ruled out...

prefaced by

Quote:
my italics

You should read some of his other posts, Steve. They're all gems like this one.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 08:48 pm
So Steve and calamity make fun and disapprove, but don't have a counter argument...great.

Quote:
The Numbers
Children under the age of 5 in the United States are more likely to be killed by their parents than anyone else. Contrary to popular mythology, they are rarely killed by a sex-crazed stranger. FBI crime statistics show that in 1999 parents were responsible for 57 percent of these murders, with family friends and acquaintances accounting for another 30 percent and other family members accounting for 8 percent. Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mother

http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/

Every year about 300 American parents are killed by their child aged kids. The majority of women are killed by either their husbands or their lovers. Humans often kill the ones they love.....deal with it.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 08:59 pm
OMG, the Hackster is now Global.

May Europe enjoy it as much as we do back home...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 09:01 pm
He's right (this time), sadly..

I'm not surprised about the statistics. When Hawkeye earlier wrote, "Parents should always be suspected until they are ruled out", that may have seemed bloodcurdlingly cynical, but unfortunately, it's also just a correct reflection of reality.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 09:26 pm
nimh wrote:
He's right (this time), sadly..

I'm not surprised about the statistics. When Hawkeye earlier wrote, "Parents should always be suspected until they are ruled out", that may have seemed bloodcurdlingly cynical, but unfortunately, it's also just a correct reflection of reality.

Concur
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 09:31 pm
Having no dog in this hunt, and really respecting the guy from NIMH. and Mr Edgar, I withdraw from this one till I do my research.

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 09:56 pm
Well, I posted earlier in this thread a bunch of times. I surely don't know what happened. I think it's legitimate to question the parents and their friends heavily, as I've undoubtedly said ad infinitum. Given there is no parental or friend connection, and there really was a skulduggerer bent on crime, I feel terrible for the parents, the siblings, and of course the child. Well, I feel terrible for her in any case.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:18 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

prefaced by

Quote:
my italics

You should read some of his other posts, Steve. They're all gems like this one.

and right next post he writes

hawkeye10 wrote:
Every year about 300 American parents are killed by their child aged kids.
Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:32 am
Quote:
While tabloid television has brought us closer to the everyday horrors of our society, nothing still shocks as much as a child killing a parent or step-parent. Such an act, though thought uncommon, is almost a daily event in the United States. Between 1977 and 1986, more than 300 parents were killed each year by their own children

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=pto-1803.html&fromMod=popular_parenting

Ya, the data is old, but the point is valid. Steve, you might consider taking what I say seriously, I am not substantially wrong very often. If you think i am wrong someplace then kindly grow up, produce your evidence, and let's figure out who is right. So far it looks like the best you and Calamity have to offer is wise cracks.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:35 am
I think I must be mad for reading some of the rubbish on this thread. Of course the McCanns might have had[/b] something to do with the disappearance of their daughter. But there is not one bit of evidence to suggest that they did. I repeat none. The dirty trick of making them arguidos was to deflect attention away from the fact that a child had been abducted in one of Portugal's top family-oriented resorts. That sort of thing is bad for business. Everything[/i] that the McCanns have said and done since Madeleine's disappearance supports the case that they are entirely innocent and just want their daughter back. And they are[/i] entirely innocent in law until proved guilty. Not the other way round. And certainly not as proved guilty by some ***hole newspaper hack. I repeat there is no evidence whatsoever to charge the McCanns with any offence, and they have not been charged. They are innocent in law and innocent in fact imo. Thats why they have won such substantial damages from Express group newspapers. And please note that money is going into a trust set up to find Madeleine, not for the McCanns private use. I am not blind to the fact that parents do murder children, or apparently in the United states according to Hawkeye children of child age murder their parents, but the fact that they do does NOT[/i][/u] mean that this couple did. Is that clear enough for you?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:11 am
If the parents do it in the majority of cases such as this then the parents start out as the prime suspects. I don't know what evidence the police have turned up, but absent knowledge of facts or evidence that make the parents less likely to be guilty both the press and the public need to consider the parents the prime suspects. What the papers said is logically likely to be substantially true. The test for journalism is not what can be proven, it is what is true, or likely to be true. I think the journalism here is sleazy but no way are money and an apology due to the parents who so far as we know likely killed their daughter.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:39 am
nuts
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 02:39 pm
It's to do with legalities, I think. Newspapers shouldn't publish such (sensational & incriminating, in this case) allegations without any substantiating evidence. It might sell a lot of newspapers, but ...
In any case, the allegations could be wrong.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:54 pm
OK, score 1 for Steve:

Shannon Matthews' mother 'may have copied TV kidnap plot'

Confused
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:31 pm
msolga wrote:
It's to do with legalities, I think. Newspapers shouldn't publish such (sensational & incriminating, in this case) allegations without any substantiating evidence. It might sell a lot of newspapers, but ...
In any case, the allegations could be wrong.

If newspapers had to have evidence before printing news almost nothing would be reported. Newspapers are not courts, they don't have the police at their disposal to get evidence, reporters are not trained nor qualified to evaluate evidence. Much of what is true there is never evidence for, there is one or several people telling a true story, with no way to prove the truth of what they say.

The best interests of the public would not be served by the measures that you suggest. It would be elevating the rights of the individuals to not have people talk badly about them above the rights of the society to have at its disposal a way to know what is going on in the society. The best interests of the many must trump the best interests of the few, or the one. Those who forget this are in for a world of hurt.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:41 am
quite ironic imo that the title of this thread is quite right as applied to a completely different british family
0 Replies