Schwarzenegger Announces : Running for CA Gov.

Sofia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:05 pm
Arnold is muscly and all, but I think Coleman's Catch Phrase is better.

Wonder if he'll give the crowds "What choo talkin' 'bout, California?" It will probably be good for a few votes.

I bet the GOP machine has told Issa that the money and the names are behind Arnold.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:09 pm
Issa wept during his news conference. He'd bought himself the most expensive footnote in history ever, I'd guess...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:14 pm
This is reeally something. This Issa thing is something else! Exclamation

I thought you were all joking about Gary Coleman, but just found out it's true. How could I have had any doubts that Gary Coleman would run, under the circumstances Confused
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:29 pm
Arnold showed some political savvy, and muscle, announcing his candidacy on the Tonight Show with hordes of reporters gathered in the back room. He played them all like a fiddle.

Touche.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:40 pm
He showed his ass.

What candidate hoping to be taken seriously would announce their candidacy on a variety show?

Just more of the joke you folks are falling for.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:42 pm
Fools usually do weep in their misfortune...brought on not by providence but by their own stupidity.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:43 pm
He's an entertainer Pdid. Where the hell do you think he's gonna do it, standing next to some cactus in Bakersfield?

Get real. Arnold is.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:45 pm
I like the fact that Arnold is in. He will either 1) look like a real idiot and entertain us all and/or have something horrific in his background; or 2) turn out to be a centrist and thus sending DeLay home to change his panties. At the level of pop culture we're all obliged to enjoy, those aren't bad options.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:07 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Get real. Arnold is.

Arnold is "real"? The man's an actor, dude. Unless the word "real" has changed meaning with the advent of Reality TV...
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:11 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Get real. Arnold is.

Arnold is "real"? The man's an actor, dude. Unless the word "real" has changed meaning with the advent of Reality TV...

Seems to me that the "actor" card is just an easy out. Why not wait for him to reveal his platform and then feel free to tear it to shreds. Most politicians started out in some other line of work. Acting is just another profession, and Arnold must be a savvy and a hard worker to get to where he has, so I suspect he has more on the ball than most people.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:16 pm
I just seem to be missing the rote Republican moral outrage usually expressed for candidates who smoke pot, grope women, and represent the worst (i.e., onscreen violence) of Hollywood.

No hypocrisy there... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
Arnold has also spent a great deal of his time, talents and money making life better for disabled and disadvantaged youth. He hasn't gone around trumpeting his community service, but he has definitely made it his business to pay back to this country.

Yes, he's real. Just as real as the next guy. He came to this country by choice, because America is where anybody has a chance to make it. He's an American success story. Too often, immigrants appreciate this country more than those who are born into it's privilege.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:19 pm
PDiddie wrote:
I just seem to be missing the rote Republican moral outrage usually expressed for candidates who smoke pot, grope women, and represent the worst (i.e., onscreen violence) of Hollywood.

No hypocrisy there... Rolling Eyes

Clinton and Gore changed all those passe rules. Anything goes, now. Gore and Tipper tooted pot. Dean's son robbed a Country Club liquor stash. At least the twins PAID for their drinks.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:36 pm
Sofia wrote:
At least the twins PAID for their drinks.

No, they didn't. Didn't you read that full account of their bust at Chuy's in Austin? Dear me, Sofie... Laughing
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:41 pm
Sofia wrote:
Clinton and Gore changed all those passe rules. Anything goes, now. Gore and Tipper tooted pot. Dean's son robbed a Country Club liquor stash.

How conveniently disengenuous of you.

So the groping is OK with you now? I suspect Dr. Dobson, Orrin Hatch, et.al. haven't changed their minds about the movies.

Cue the organ grinder. Send in the clowns.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:52 pm
Groping was OK for Clinton--
Stealing is OK for Dean's son--
Pot smoking is OK for Clinton and the Gores--

I think we'll all play by the same rules. Cool
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 03:58 pm
well sure its all ok now and with Bush we can add several DUI's/an aledged back alley abortion, drug use (not pot) possible AWOL, looking more and more like Hollywood everyday. And then there's congress where it really gets exciting. Oh yeah almost forgot Cheney's two DUI's to get him in as VP.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 04:02 pm
Quote:
Calif. Recall Leader Says He Won't Run

The Associated Press
Thursday, August 7, 2003; 3:42 PM

SAN DIEGO - The millionaire congressman who largely funded the effort to recall Gov. Gray Davis abruptly pulled out of the race to replace him Thursday, a day after actor Arnold Schwarzenegger jumped in.

Republican Rep. Darrell Issa, who made his fortune selling car alarms and pumped $1.7 million of his own money into the recall effort, announced he would not run in a tearful news conference.

© 2003 The Associated Press

Gee, and I was on the verge of no longer believing in poetic justice for thieves. The car thief attempts to swipe the governorship from the duly elected and gets his ill-gotten gains pickpocketed by an actor who thrives on roleplaying as government agents and military men.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 04:06 pm
Dys--

I think it was you who posted the list of bad check writing, wife beating, lawsuit dodging, and otherwise carnal and illegal activities of our esteemed Congress members. Yep. All scurrilous.

Which is why I'm amazed people are still trying to throw some lame groping and pot puffing from the 70's out, thinking it makes any difference.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
Quote:
Schwarzenegger picked up his candidacy papers Thursday at the Los Angeles County Registrar's Office. Hundreds of supporters outside cheered as he got out of a black Chevrolet Suburban, walked up and shook hands and signed autographs.

"This is the next step for running for governor of California and to bring the government back to the people," Schwarzenegger said. "It is very important that we straighten out the mess we're in."

Schwarzenegger offered no immediate reaction to the other developments in the recall race but said he is forming a plan to deal with California's problems, including a record budget deficit for which many blame Davis.

"I have a very, very good agenda," Schwarzenegger said. "The first and most important thing we have to do is we have to overhaul our economic engine in California. We have to bring back businesses to California and make sure everyone in California has a great job, a fantastic job."

In San Diego, Issa had summoned reporters to what his aides said would be his entry into the governor's race.

As he spoke, supporters waved "Issa for Governor" signs, and the congressman held up the papers that he said would have qualified him for the ballot.

Standing outside the Registrar of Voters office, Issa said he would retain his seat in Congress so he could work toward peace in the Middle East. The grandson of Lebanese immigrants has shuttled between regional capitals as a peace broker.

"Once it was possible to not have to be the face of the recall, not have to be the candidate if no one else would lead, I now have the opportunity to choose between two directions," he said. "One is my service in Washington, the other was what many people assumed was blind ambition."

Issa has been among Davis' most outspoken critics, saying he misled voters about the size of the state budget deficit during last year's governor's race. The deficit then ballooned to $38 billion.

Issa, 49, lost a 1998 Senate bid and two congressional campaigns, primarily because of questions about two arrests in 1972 on weapons charges in Ohio and Michigan. One resulted in a $100 fine, the other was dropped.

Democrats seized on Issa's past, which included accusations, later dismissed, of faking the theft of his brother's Mercedes in 1980 and selling the vehicle to a San Jose car dealer.

"As they have pounded on my personal past, and they have pounded on my party and my motives, I have known all along that our motives were good for California," Issa said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
0 Replies