Schwarzenegger Announces : Running for CA Gov.

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:01 pm
With the oddball list of those who are running, I wonder how long it will take for Michael Jackson to throw his hat in the ring? How much of this is publicity stunt and how much is a sincere desire to serve the public. I still feel the motivation to run for public office involves more power than anything else and sometimes that doesn't even trump sex. Human beings are sometimes less able to govern themselves any better than a herd of cattle. Lassie for Governor!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:04 pm
Arnold could pick up the gay vote to counter Bustamante's Latino vote. Hey, where's Zorro when you need him? Antonio Bandares for Governor!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
I hope everyone saw the analysis of the hispanic vote in the NYTimes. Most impressive, varied, and interesting. It has become THE bloc of votes a candidate must have.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:08 pm
Michael Jackson has thrown his infant son in the ring.....
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:15 pm
Cjhsa -- Even as you were posting there, I was hearing another similar comment from a Cal commentator on NPR's Talk of the Nation -- that Issa is mad, isn't getting attention, and spent All That Money! Issa is now an object of a little gentle ridicule which I think is wholly deserved and should be fairly effective.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:24 pm
Poor Issa. Did he really think no one else would run because he funded the recall campaign? That's so touching...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:29 pm
How soon reality imitates art! I read a not very good cyberpunk book not too long ago that was set in Austria in the early 21st century. Guess who the Austrian President was? He was never mentioned by name, but there were little comments about a "screening of the President's movies, including the famous ones where he is part mechanical..." Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:32 pm
If Issa did, he's a fool.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:34 pm
I've not read all yet but- has anybody said yet-
"History repeating itself as farce"?

I'll be bic
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:43 pm
Interesting analysis on Talk of the Nation now. So far I'd say Schwarzenegger stands the best chance on the right, and Cruz Bustamante on the left. The Hispanic vote being significant, it will go about 70-30 Cruz Bustamante-Schwarzenegger. If I were a non-hispanic California liberal in an anglo community, I'd start right now working to elect the Lt. Gov.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:46 pm
Now that Bustamante has thrown his hat in the ring, I'd imagine several dozen other Democrats will do so, as well. Why not?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:27 pm
Issa just pulled out, took his name off the ballot.

Sore loser??
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:27 pm
DeLay flunkie?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:35 pm
Follow the money.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:47 pm
I wonder if he considers his investment money well spent? From unknown back to unknown, many million dollars later...

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:53 pm
Maybe he should have wired up one of his car alarms to warn him his chances of becoming governer were nil.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:55 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Apart from the fact that he'd be a Republican replacing a Democrat, what is it about Arnold that you like, Scrat? Just curious...

That's pretty much it. I suppose what is inherent in that is that it would be putting a fiscal conservative in the place of someone who was fiscally irresponsible if not simply clueless. CA's economy is too huge and too important to be left in the hands of a moron like Davis.

But yes, you are right that I'd take just about any Republican over just about any Democrat. The fact that Arnold is the one Republican with an almost certain shot at winning the election is also part of my enthusiasm.

Now, to repeal the requirement that you must be native-born to run for President. :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:59 pm
It's not clear what in Arnold's background qualifies him to save California at this point, but heck, if I were there, I'd vote for Arianna...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 01:59 pm
Scrat wrote:

Now, to repeal the requirement that you must be native-born to run for President. :wink:

Well, we've already had one brainless actor in the White House...... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 02:00 pm
With the way the world has gone loopy, Larry Flynt will probably win!
0 Replies