Mapping the pitfalls of dieting

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 12:14 pm
princessash, You're probably a lot more active than me. Wink
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 12:16 pm
Well, no, that's the point. . . even with my level of activity (which is walking to everywhere and running around in the kitchen), if I ate 2550 calories a day, I'd gain about 5 pounds a week :-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 12:18 pm
.... Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:39 pm
Remember, most people overestimate their activity. I'm fairly honest with myself and recognize that I probably score between couch potato and corpse.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:05 pm
I know, Noddy, I know :-) I was debating between "lightly" and "moderately" active, remembered that for every three times I decide to go to the gym, I actually go, well, none, and factored in my "brisk walking"- ie, always being late for class 8 or 10 blocks away :-)

I think, however, that's a measure of all the calories your body might burn in a day. . . at peak performance. . . my metabolism happens to be slow, so 2000 is already high for me. . .
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:11 pm
If I ate as many calories as that calculator recommends, I'd explode. Something is seriously wrong with that calculator. I'd love to see what they base their calculations upon.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:51 pm
Princesssash--

Pedometers cost under $10--or perhaps you can borrow one. When I'm living my ideal life of torpor and sloth I walk less than 400 steps a day.
Reality is such a humiliating experience.

Butrflynet--

That particular table makes no effort to deduct calories for age and age slows the metabolism. After 40 or so--according to Nature's Plan--most women aren't expected to chase toddlers full time.

Besides, remember that you don't want to maintain weight. You want to lose weight.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:42 pm
Noddy, You make a very good point about not factoring in age into their calculation. Heck, I know my metabolism slowed about 80 percent from the time I was in the 'work force.'
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:52 pm
hi friends ! all your talk of diets and calorie counting etc. is making me a little nervous. have you ever considered consulting a nurse/dietician before going on a diet ? i know that in our fair city the hospital makes nurse/dieticians available for consultation - even on a phone-in basis. re. TOFU i remember reading about a study that was recently completed. you may find this article of some interest : (lost the site, will look for it) c.i. : i am on a "waterpill" to keep my somewhat elevated bloodpressure on an even keel. my physician INSISTS that i have my potassium level checked at least once a month, since waterpills can throw the potassium balance out of kilter. he explained to me that EITHER a low or a high potassium level can have some serious side-effects, legcramps being one of them. here is a website with some info on this subject : www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C466089.html wishing you all GOOD HEALTH ! hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:59 pm
hi again : found the tofu study. it was actually reported on in a medical science program on CBC not that long ago, and included an interview with the researchers. i don't think it means that we should not eat ANY tofu, but we should be aware of possible side effects when larger amounts of tofu are consumed. i guess, as always, moderation is probably a good approach (even in exercise). hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:55 pm
hbg, I think where it concerns exercise, it would depend on the level of exertion and length of time. I read someplace several years ago that moderate paced walking is just as beneficial as brisk walking - for our health. I love walking, but only do a great deal of it only when I'm on vacation in a foreign land. I go from about 5 miles a week to a couple miles a day - and sometimes a lot more. As for moderation, that's the principal I live by. I allow myself some goodies once in awhile, but we haven't bought ice cream since we've been on this low-carb diet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:07 pm
From the August issue of Obesity Research (summary printed in Discover:

Weekends are a danger zone for weight gane. A study analyzed the food consumption of thousands of Americans. The average 19 to 50-year-old consumes 115 more calories a day (mostly from alcohol and fat) on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays than on Monday through thursday. This can add up to a weight gain of almost 5 pounds a year.

Adults ages 51 to 70 average 74 more calories, mostly from fat, on weekend days.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:41 pm
Noddy, That study is accurate. We went to my wife's hospital's christmas party last night at a restaurant in San Jose (paid for by the doctors), and I had two glasses of red wine, ate bread, and had the dessert. We both had the salmon, but they were double portions, and I almost finished the whole plate. I think it was much more than 115 more calories. Wink
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:33 pm
Oh, I can so vouch for that. . . however, I would amend that whenever going out to restaurants is involved, that alcohol and fat increase would be similar. . . my family eats out often during the week, whereas I think most people tend to reserve that for weekends. . . and I STILL dread going to restaurants, even when I'm not paying, because I have the sneaking suspicion I'll be eating extra. . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:01 pm
c.i.--

You social types drag up the "average" for the rest of us. I hope you enjoyed the dissipation.

princesssash--

I believe in doggy bags. When my will power is weak, I ask the rest of the table if they would mind if I got a doggy bag before I gave into temptation and picked up my fork again. You can get some delicious leftovers this way.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:09 pm
I wish. . . if you put it in front of me, I'll eat it. . . that's why I buy food once a week and put the rest of my money away in the bank :-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:59 pm
Noddy, I rarely refuse "free" food and drink. Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 04:07 pm
c.i.--

For some people in this wicked world, thrift can be a brick in the Road of Good Intentions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 05:30 pm
But mine is paved with gold. Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 10:37 am
mrs. h and i like to eat well - fish usually three times a week. our main meal is in the early afternoon; let's say between 1 and 3 pm.. we are fairly flexible and don't really have a set time for our main meal - the advantage of being retired. in the evening we usually just have some fruit and a small sandwich. when we go out for a main meal - which is pretty rare - i make sure that i never have dessert and have no or little gravy. at home we hardly ever have dessert, but we do have a cup of tea and a small piece of homemade cake or a cookie in the afternoon(icecream is strictly a summer treat - with freshly picked strawberries if possibly). when we are on an active holiday, such as our october holiday in germany/switzerland, i eat like a horse (should that be pig ?) : PIGKNUCKLES WITH SAUERKRAUT, HOT BOILED BLOOD- AND LIVERSAUSAGE WITH ONIONS AND MASHED, drink plenty of good beer - well, usually not more than a couple pints - and sleep like a ... and don't seem to gain any weight. the exercise seems to make the difference. hbg
0 Replies