Mapping the pitfalls of dieting

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 06:54 pm
Well, this isn't very crisp - as are the flatbreads you find in the good cracker sections of the grocery. It gets a slight curve if you hold the bread in the air (it is dense and thus heavy).

Lessee, it is imported by Dansar in Petaluma, CA. No preservatives, no fats (except of course my butter dab).

Give the images on the label, the brand name looks like
Hazelsauer Traditional.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:53 pm
ossobuco : i think you are on the right track. the REAL rye bread is also quite soft sice it contains a fair bit of water unlike the flatbread. for a real treat try some ryebread with a bit of butter and some smoked and aircured ham - we use westphalian ham, but prosciutto(did i spell it right?) should also work. by the way, i really like a good dish of ossobuco with some bone marrow. SORRY ! i forgot we are on a diet thread; probably will get evicted. hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 09:22 pm
osso, You're permitted to talk about food. We're just not supposed to eat it! LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 10:45 pm
I have followed Atkins related posts and articles for a while and generally if not entirely agree. I think, personally, that it is counterproductive to cut out certain veggies for their carb content.
Except for the dreaded potato, love of my life...that does seem to be one to watch -

I do see that some carbs are more disposable on the young charts (glycemic indices, and so on) than others, thus rice is better perhaps than most if not all pasta than sheeesh, potato chips.

I am nearing a hundred now and have watched many diets in action, from my mother doing Gaylord Hauser and the guy with the honey and vinegar. And so on. Moderation in all things usually works. But

I do see the point of the biochem re the carb metabolism, and see needing to cut the amounts of carbs. I remember my dad in the fifties cutting out carbs and losing weight. Am quite wary about adding, say, wads of pork fat freely now. (Though I love pancetta....)

Corn seems to be a devil on the new charts, and I react that that is silly.

Back in 1902, or more truthfully in 1971, I worked for a guy who wrote papers on B12 and Intrinsic Factor antibodies related to pernicious anemia, and so on. His take, then, which I admit was years ago, was that we need at least some meat eating, although we all know we get B12 easily from any pill on the market.

Not that I agree with him, just mentioning his studied opinion at the time. Usually it is better to get nutrients from real food than from pill forms. (Well, there is a whole other subject for discussion.....)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 12:46 pm
a fairly popular german diet is the "potato diet" -there are several websites devoted to it; but i also found an english one - from an indian newspaper of all places. quite interesting. hbg http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2002/11/13/stories/2002111300470400.htm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:54 pm
For dieters, a wild generalization:

[/B]Anything that just slides down your throat--fluffy bread, super-tender meat, fat in all its manifestations--is dangerous.

We're efficient people and we just adore effortless eating.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:58 pm
Ossobuco, several of my family members have tried Zone, Atkins, and most all of the low carb diets. . . they do work. . . but the Zone, I think, has the best thing going. . . it requires you to eat your veggies and doesn't encourage you to have that half pound steak. . . the pitfalls of a diet like Atkins, at least as far as I've seen it, is that once you tell people they COULD eat two pounds of steak a day and that's it, they just might. . . the Zone puts so much emphasis on veggies and, as Noddy suggests, those foods that don't go down easy. I think it helps remind dieters that, well. . . it IS a diet. . . not a steak bar.

I will add that my father, on the zone, lost like 60 pounds and never gained it back, and my mother, permanently on atkins, it seems, has lost 80 pounds over three years, because she loses 20, gains 25, loses 15, gains 5, loses 10, gains 15, and so on. . . the Bridget Jones method of counting success, if you will :-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
But that yoyo thing is not supposed to be good for you either. Sigh.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:32 pm
My point exactly :-) Atkins is great if you a) stay on forever, b) never stray, c) excercise a lot and d) have really low cholesterol to begin with :-) (I KNOW, I know, Atkind has NOT been proven to raise cholesterol, I'm just saying. . .)

My big pitfalls always came as a result of my terrible sweet tooth :-) But, alas, I learned to love diet soda and diabetic candy. . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:52 pm
I am addicted to chocolate milk with rum in it, over ice. Don't start with it...
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:55 pm
Don't remind me, or I may have to come after you, charleston chew firmly in hand :-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:59 pm
Oh, yeah, those ARE good..
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:00 pm
I KNOW! hmm. . . uh oh. . .
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:19 pm
The dramatic weight loss typically observed on no carb / low carb diets is because of the fact that bodily carbohydrate stores are depleted, and carbohydrate is what water binds to, so losing bodily stores of carbohydrate results in loss of bodily water as well. This is usually why the initial weight loss on a no carb / low carb diet is so large, but afterwards the rate of fat loss is somewhat similar to any other calorie reduced diet (with the exception of ketogenic diets).
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:22 pm
What's the difference between a ketogenic diet and one which aims to put your body into ketosis?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:03 am
ketogenic diet is the one that brings your body into ketosis. atkins, scarsdale, those. atkins, btw, does not mean steak and steak and steak. i ate veggies and fish when i was on atkins. felt good. felt healthy and right.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 11:15 am
I weighed myself this morning, and almost went into shcok; I lost 10 pounds! I couldn't believe my eyes. This low-carb diet is working, and it's also supposed to lower my cholesterol. Still miss my candy, tho.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 12:28 pm
Congrats, c.i!

Pssst! Hey you, candy freak. Check out these low carb candies. Shhh. Keep it to yerself.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 12:34 pm
No, dag, that's my point. . . Atkin's isn't SUPPOSED to mean steak, steak, and steak, but that's what a lot of people hear :-) Winds up being counter productive. . .

Congrats from me as well, ci :-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:25 pm
Butrfly, Which ones are low-carb, no sugar, candies?
0 Replies