Mapping the pitfalls of dieting

husker

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:45 am
it's not a diet - but a life style change
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:01 pm
Heeven--

I like your attitude and admire your progress! I've had a petulant, nibbling week, but I've been sensible today.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:06 am
Thanks Noddy. Lost another 1lb this week. Slow but steady. I don't want to lose it fast because I've heard horror stories about skin getting loose and the body looking worse than when it was heavier!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:49 pm
Heeven--

I don't exercise because I love exercise. I exercise because I've seen recently thin people with unbecoming flaps of skin and read of people who lose one and two hundred pounds and then need plastic surgery to remove the skin.

The image that sticks in my mind is a woman with an abdominal pouch, emptied of fat, that hung down below her knees!

Of course the harvested skin is recycled for burn victims where it is most welcome, but still....

Congratulations on ditching that extra pound. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:33 am
Last week I read that one encouragement to overeating is the elastic wasteband.

The author suggested tying a cord--not too thin, not too thick--around the waist--not too loose, not too tight--and when you feel the cord beginning to constrict your gut, stop eating.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 02:53 pm
http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_details.asp?mscssid=NUMD2U24S1S92MD000GPBQXDMWXU9L0C&sitetype=1&sid=68272&did=4
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:49 pm
Two weeks ago I had to call the ambulance because Mr. Noddy was having trouble breathing. In the hospital, being treated for pneumonia and bronchitis Mr. Noddy had his sixth heart attack.

As some of you may be aware, Mr. Noddy came with a colorful and demanding family, all of whom had to be treated with great tact and spurrious enthusiasm.

Mr Noddy is home and recovering. I've got to make up for self indulgence in the diet & exercise departments. Sloth and gorging didn't help him--but I'm frail and short sighted.

Pep talks would be welcomed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:54 pm
Noddy24- Be gentle with yourself. You are going through a rough time, girl. Remember, that we are here for you. If you need to ventilate, it may help.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:01 pm
Thanks, Phoenix. Suddenly Mr. Noddy's Near & Dear are very interested in my health--at least until they remember that They Have Problems. Marry the Man, Marry the Family.

Fortunately, I have no idea how to buy an OK-47 and I wouldn't know how to load it, either.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:16 pm
If anybody out there wants a diet that will help reduce your cholesterol, I have something that really works. Got the list from my sister-in-law, and they have reduced their bad cholesterol by 100. Anybody?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:21 pm
c.i.- Well???
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:51 pm
It's called the "Low Glycemic Diet."
PHASE I: 14 days - eat all lean meats; chiken, turkey, and seafood. Eliminate: bread, pasta, rice, baked goods, candy and alcohol (ouch!)
Eat: celery, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cucumber, green beans, and nuts in the following quantitities only one portion each day. 15 almonds, 15 cashews, 30 pistachios, or 12 peanuts.

PHASE II: Week three; introduce back small quantities of bread, pasta and rice no more than twice a day. Eat: brown rice, whole wheat bread, coarsely chopped vegetables, fish twice a week, egg omlets with cheese and vegetables for breakfast and Canadian bacon or turkey bacon.

PHASE III: Limit refined carbohydrates
Snack on acceptable foods when hungry as many as seven times per day.
No fast foods
No potato chips

NO NO FOODS: Potatoes, carrots, pears, peaches, ice cream, and candy.

ACCEPTABLE FOODS: Any green vegetable, pineapple, apples - crisp, any berries, and cantaloupes.

Good luck! My wife and I have been on this diet for a little over one week, and it's a little tough, but we're sticking with it. I miss my candy. ;( c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:31 pm
Noddy, so sorry, and take care of yourself, girl...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:21 am
c.i., you'd love the Atkins lifestyle. What you described is precisely the maintenance recommendations from Atkins. If you decide you want to make this a lifestyle and not just a temporary diet, you might check out his Atkins for Life book. Lots and lots of great advice, food recommendations and recipes very similar to what you describe.

I feel so much better having given up my lust for starches such as potatoes, drive-thru fast food, pasta, breads, refined sugar, and salt. The surprising thing is, after more then six months of doing without, I really don't miss it at all. If I really really must have something NOW! I'll drive through McD's and order the smallest burger they have and take it home to eat with a large green salad and glass of sugarless iced herb tea.

The thing is, after eating high quality meats such as pork, chicken and some beef, the McD burger is really quite tasteless and I like my own cooking so much better!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:23 am
Butrfly, Do you know what your cholesterol level was before and after you started the Atkins diet?
We're eating a lot of apples now for snack. What I really miss is my candy - especially chocolate. I could do without my occasional beer and wine, but candy was my one "bad" food. I go for coffee every morning to read my newspaper, and I don't use brown sugar any more. That's okay too. Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:22 pm
c.i.- When I want something to satisfy my "sweet tooth" I eat either an Atkins low carb bar, or an EAS Advantage Carb control Nutrition Bar. It ain't Snickers, but they do satisfy. Most of the bars have between 2-5 grams of impact carbs, and are loaded with protein. They come in a boatload of flavors. I will sometimes have an Atkins or EAS shake, and a bar for breakfast.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 07:54 pm
Ossobuco--

Many thanks. This is just one more Character Building Experience.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
Oy, Noddy.
I'm sorry to hear about your latest character-building experience.

You know what YOU always say - hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:00 pm
Noddy, character-building is all well and good for people who need it, but you're built.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:24 pm
Good comments, soz + eb, I sure agree.
0 Replies