Mapping the pitfalls of dieting

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:08 am
eBeth, Sozobe--

Your moral/morale support is much appreciated. I'm holding my dominion in one hand and my temper in the other.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:18 am
That leaves no hands for snacking, and that's a good thing, right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:27 am
My wife has been pretty good about trying to keep sliced fruits such as watermelon and canteloupes in a plastic container in the frig. We also have a basket of apples and persimmons to snack on. We used to have ice cream in the freezer, but that's been gone for almost two weeks now. As for other snacks, I eat popcorn and fruit chips we buy at Trader Joes. I have two large chocolate bars in my cabinet that I have "nibbled" on - really less than 1/4" piece. I call that my "moderation cheating." Eating more salads for lunch, and I've never done that in the past. I get on the scale every day, but it doeesn't look like I'm losing any weight, but my waist seems a wee bit smaller. Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 07:58 pm
eBeth--

If only..... I have an affinity for sweet indulgence. Still, today was a little calmer--"calm" is very good for will power.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 08:04 pm
Can we ask for another calm day for Noddy?

Yes, I believe we can.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 10:44 pm
A calm day for Noddy. A calm day for Noddy. A calm day for Noddy. Okay, I arranged it!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 10:54 pm
Halloween sent my dieting to hell. To put it mildly. There was an invasion of chocolate into our workspace and that was too much to bear. I gave in for 3-4 days in a row and can already see it! can life get any more unfair?! Am getting back to restrain and humbleness, though this lifestyle change is not very appealing at all. I never had to count calories back home. You run on foot everywhere, food is much less processed and fast food is not readily available at every corner. Now I have to think about food, how dull! but am coping, lost 25 pounds since January, going for some 10-15 more. Did Atkins and Scarsdale diets. Liked it. But the reminder of the candy existence drove me up the walls and it will take days again to get back to the routine. dangit. 7 minutes before tomorrow, 7 more minutes to indulge!!! yippeeee, of to explore the pantry!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 10:58 pm
dag, Candy has always been my weakness too, but I've managed not to eat any of the halloween candy. My wife took the surplus to work the very next day, so no temptation. We still have some candy in the pantry - some of those small pack Baby Ruths and Big Hunks.......
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:05 pm
i have none left, thank god! if i want to snack, must resort to 'fruit leather' or almonds. i opt for almonds, but you can only eat so many before they cease being a treat. so...off to bed hungry for me, determined not to give in at work tomorrow. not even if there are those soft chewy cookies, yummmmmm.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 06:47 am
eBeth, c.i.--

Thanks. I can feel the serenity spreading out.

Dagmaraka--

You haven't relapsed--you just had a festive intermission. Good luck on returning to the austere side of life.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:42 pm
:-( maybe tomorrow, failed again today.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:17 pm
Dag,

You might try what I use to help curb my need to snack when it gets uncontrollable.

I freeze fresh lemon flavored water into icecubes then break the cubes into bite size chunks and chomp on a large glass full of those. The lemon is refreshing and the cold ice squelches the urge to eat while at the same time satisfies the need to chew on something.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:44 am
Dag--

You didn't "fail", you were on a self inflicted plateau. Today is a glorious day for beginning perfection again. I'm going to struggle, too.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:43 pm
Struggling is often easier with company. Or do I mean it's less of a struggle? I am struggling to stay awake til Setanta gets here. That's why I'm here. For company.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:03 pm
All occasions did conspire against me--but I limited myself to a small bowl of ice cream. It was delicious.

Keep your eyes open, eBeth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:39 pm
Men can be wise animals.
The Hormone Hostage

To the women: This is not anything we don't already know.To the men: Read slowly and carefully and commit to memory.

The Hormone Hostage knows that there are days in the month when all a man has to do is open his mouth and he takes his very life into his own
hands.

This is a handy guide that should be as common as a drivers license in the wallet of every husband, boyfriend, or significant other.

DANGEROUS: What's for dinner?
SAFER: Can I help you with dinner?
SAFEST: Where would you like to go for dinner?
ULTRASAFE: Here, have some chocolate.

DANGEROUS: Are you wearing that?!
SAFER: Gee, you look good in brown.
SAFEST: WOW!! Look at you!

DANGEROUS: What are you so worked up about?!
SAFER: Could we be overreacting?
SAFEST: Here's fifty dollars

DANGEROUS: Should you be eating that?!
SAFER: You know, there are plenty of apples left.
SAFEST: Can I get you a glass of wine with that?

DANGEROUS: What did you do all day?!
SAFER: I hope you didn't overdo it today.
SAFEST: I've always loved you in that robe!
Remember: Money talks...but chocolate sings!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:50 pm
All right, CI, that made me laugh...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 05:50 pm
white bread - brown bread. luckily i don't have much of a weight problem, could lose a few pounds - but at my age : why worry (who was that fellow on the cover of mad magazine) ? but i do know from personal experience that eating REAL whole-rye bread will keep my weight in check. it may be difficult to obtain this bread unless you have a european bakery/deli in your neighbourhood. i am not talking about some soft rye bread that may be labelled "pumpernickel" or such. the real stuff is a very dense bread, almost black and consists almost entirely of whole rye (it is almost always presliced since it is difficult to slice with an ordinary breadknife; it would just fall apart). because it absorbs a lot of water in your body(and also contains a good deal of sourdough) it really speeds up the digestive process - also make sure to drink plenty of water, BUT don't overdo it(there is a british study on excessive fluid intake - not good for us, they say). having a combo of bran/yoghurt/fresh fruits in the morning along with a couple of large glasses of water(i prefer it tepid, not cold from the fridge) - one before, one after, works wonders ! i ought to know ! if you can't find the REAL rye bread, try to get scandinavian crispbread/flatbread(i like the big discs; very tasty with a little butter and cheese). THAT'S MY DIET ! hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 06:08 pm
I'm not on a diet as such. I just try not to pig out.

I recently discovered that I like Sunflower kernel bread (Vollkorn Sonne), a packaged bread that has whole kernel rye, wholemeal rye, wholemeal wheat, water, sunflower seed, salt, yeast in it. I like it toasted; it is really good with a dab of butter... or good cheese.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 06:32 pm
ossobuco : you are on the right track. check to see if the breadbag has a web-address on it; perhaps the same baker makes REAL whole-grain ryebread also. and you can't go wrong with crispbread/flatbread. it needs no refrigeration and will keep for months - you can even give a quick toasting to re-crisp it. i find if i've had the flu or some stomach upset, crispbread is usually the first food my SYSTEM will tolerate. hbg
0 Replies