Communicating difficult news to family

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:52 pm
This is a good news bad news sort of situation. Some may have read that I have been considering moving with my job to Texas. Well we checked out just about anything we could on the deal and it does seem to be an all around smart move. The only thing holding me back is my family.

I need to tell my parents. One time several years ago my husband mentioned wanting to move back out west where is from - he mentioned it to my mom and she started to cry a bit. I am very close to my family and hate absolutely hate the idea of hurting them. My parents have done so much for us - taking care of kids and just being a great support.

I would suggest they move too, but I know because of other family members and especially my grandmom - they can't leave. I was going to offer that they stay with us during the winter and/or come and stay with us several times a year for a month or more - we would be able to buy a place that would have a couple of extra bedrooms with an extra bath.

I plan on telling them on Saturday. Any suggestions how to go about this? How do I cause them the least amount of pain and be considerate of their feelings and still show them how much I appreciate them and how important they are to us? To be honest, I will not be able to move without my family's support of it - they do not have to be 100% happy about it, but in a sense I want their blessing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,063 • Replies: 240
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:02 pm
How much does your family about the process you've been going through? Have you been keeping them informed of the changes at work and the opportunity you were given to stay with the company?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:06 pm
How about this approach?

(Oldie, but goodie):

Quote:
Dear Mom and Dad,

It has now been three months since I left for college. I have been remiss in writing this and I am very sorry for my thoughtlessness in not having written before. I will bring you up to date now, but, before you read on, please sit down. I repeat, please, YOU ARE NOT TO READ ANY FURTHER UNLESS YOU ARE SITTING DOWN.

All right now; this is not easy to write about. I am getting along pretty well now. The skull fracture, and the concussion I got when I jumped out of the window of my dormitory when it caught fire shortly after my arrival, are pretty well healed now. Fortunately, the fire in the dormitory and my jump, were witnessed by an attendant at the gas station near the dorm.

Now about this attendant, he was the one who called the fire department and the ambulance. He also visited me at the hospital, and since I had nowhere to live because of the burned out dormitory, he was kind enough to invite me to share his apartment with him and his three buddies. It's really a basement room, but it's kind of cute.

He is a very fine boy and we have fallen deeply in love and are planning to be married. We haven't set the exact date yet, but it will be before my pregnancy begins to show. Yes, Mom and Dad, I am pregnant. I know how much you are looking forward to being grandparents. I know you will welcome the baby and give it the love, devotion and tender care you gave me when I was a child.

The reason for the delay in our marriage is that my boyfriend has some minor infection which prevents us from passing our pre-marital blood tests, and I carelessly caught it from him. This will soon clear up with the penicillin injections I am having daily. I know you will welcome him into our family with open arms. He is kind and, although not well educated, he is ambitious.

Although he is of a different race and religion than ours, I know your often expressed tolerance will not permit you to be bothered by the fact that his skin color is different than ours. I am sure you will love him as I do. His family background is good, too, for I am told that his father is an important weapons dealer in the village in Africa from which he came.

After college, and until he finds some decent job, we'll be using my old bedroom. We aren't asking for a large wedding; in fact, maybe just something for the immediate family in front of some judge. Maybe just you, dad, grandma and grandpa, and whatever family he has that can get steerage from Africa. Don't worry about them; they will be happy just to stay in our basement.

Now that I have brought you up to date, I want to tell you that there was no dormitory fire, I did not have a concussion or a skull fracture. I was not in the hospital, I am not pregnant and I am not engaged. I do not have syphilis and there is no man (of any color) in my life ... nobody is coming from Africa.

However, I got a 'D' in History and an 'F' in Science, and I just wanted you to see those marks in the proper perspective.

Your Loving Daughter
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:09 pm
.... there's one good thing about that letter: the bombshell approach, which I am fond of. Dropping the biggest news without hesitation ("I am moving out West")... and then making it better, elaborating, explaining, inviting....

There is no easy way about it. If you have a family meal planned together anytime soon, that might be a good time to bring it up. That's what meals are for. Family talk. They love you, you love them. I am sure they will be supportive.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
Just give them cash.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:02 pm
of no help at all.. but are you moving to austin by chance? Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:06 pm
Re: Communicating difficult news to family
Linkat wrote:
This is a good news bad news sort of situation. Some may have read that I have been considering moving with my job to Texas. Well we checked out just about anything we could on the deal and it does seem to be an all around smart move. The only thing holding me back is my family.

I need to tell my parents. One time several years ago my husband mentioned wanting to move back out west where is from - he mentioned it to my mom and she started to cry a bit. I am very close to my family and hate absolutely hate the idea of hurting them. My parents have done so much for us - taking care of kids and just being a great support.

I would suggest they move too, but I know because of other family members and especially my grandmom - they can't leave. I was going to offer that they stay with us during the winter and/or come and stay with us several times a year for a month or more - we would be able to buy a place that would have a couple of extra bedrooms with an extra bath.

I plan on telling them on Saturday. Any suggestions how to go about this? How do I cause them the least amount of pain and be considerate of their feelings and still show them how much I appreciate them and how important they are to us? To be honest, I will not be able to move without my family's support of it - they do not have to be 100% happy about it, but in a sense I want their blessing.

How do you know that your new postion in Texas is stable and that all of your plans won't fall through the floor 12 months after you move down there?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:15 pm
ehBeth wrote:
How much does your family about the process you've been going through? Have you been keeping them informed of the changes at work and the opportunity you were given to stay with the company?

They are aware of the situation in general. They also know we visited Texas as they watched the kids. However, when I we went to visit it is communicated as the company wanted everyone to go and at visit if there job was slated to move whether they were planning on moving or not - which is true.

But since then things have changed in our situation - my husband is not happy with his recent business he purchased - it is financially strapping us - so he is planning on selling it. My parents don't know the details of our financial situation either at this point.

When we came back from the visit, my mom asked how it was. And I mentioned we would need to think about it - her response was - Oh no don't say that! That was a little less than a month ago - since then we've been researching different things and feel this move would be good for us as a family.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Just give them cash.

I plan on doing close to that - we would offer to fly them out several times a year.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
of no help at all.. but are you moving to austin by chance? Cool

No, but I would love to see Austin - heard great things about it.

Dallas/Fort Worth area.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:20 pm
I sympathize, Linkat.

It really sounds like you just have to build on what you've already said. Do you know anyone who can watch the kids during this meeting? It's likely to be quite emotional, and maybe something to do without the kids -- but you'd probably want to include your husband.

Once you show up without the kids they'll probably already know what it's about -- you probably won't even need to make an announcement. Then you can react to whatever your mom throws your way, give background, cry, hug, commiserate, explain your reasoning, and throw in that thing about visiting and having someplace for them to stay fairly early on. Go heavy on all the thankfulness stuff you're talking about here.

Good luck...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
You never know for sure if anything is stable, however, this is a large international company. They are expanding and decided that have saturated the Boston market for hiring and need to expand elsewhere. There are still going to be positions in Boston in my department - they are just spreading us out over several locations.

Also, this area that we are moving has been increasing in business - seems every big company is moving there. The unemployment rate is extremely low as there are so many companies in the area now so even so the opportunities to work elsewhere in the area are very good. My husband should be able to find a job in about 3 days.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:25 pm
Make sure you are getting same Boston salary $$$ when you move to Texas. It will go further ....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:26 pm
sozobe wrote:
I sympathize, Linkat.

It really sounds like you just have to build on what you've already said. Do you know anyone who can watch the kids during this meeting? It's likely to be quite emotional, and maybe something to do without the kids -- but you'd probably want to include your husband.

Once you show up without the kids they'll probably already know what it's about -- you probably won't even need to make an announcement. Then you can react to whatever your mom throws your way, give background, cry, hug, commiserate, explain your reasoning, and throw in that thing about visiting and having someplace for them to stay fairly early on. Go heavy on all the thankfulness stuff you're talking about here.

Good luck...

Thanks. Yes - the kids - they are actually going to a birthday party next door to my parents house - that why I choose this day. I figure I would drop them off and stay with them a bit and then say, I'll be next door for a little while.

However, my husband and I agreed that initially I should speak with them alone.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:27 pm
Heeven wrote:
Make sure you are getting same Boston salary $$$ when you move to Texas. It will go further ....

Yes - I move with the same salary. I'll be rich!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:30 pm
Good planning re: the party, Linkat. I think you've prepared about as much as you can and now it's time to just take a deep breath and say, "Mom, about Texas..." (I swear that it's all you'll have to say before she bursts out with "Oh no you're moving!" Then just take it from there. You have good reasons, you're being extremely generous with your offers of flying them out and buying a place with extra rooms, it'll work out.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:30 pm
That's an emotional difficult task, Linkat, and everyone who's moved
long distance away from their family can relate to it. I can!

Actually, I would suggest talking to your parents alone at first. You're
their daughter, you have a more intimate relationship with them, and
they probably will feel more comfortable letting their emotions go,
while it is only you around.

I also would emphasize the extended visits and multiple visits during the year, the extra bedroom just for them, and reassure them that they're always welcome. Texas is not out of this world (although some might think so Laughing )

If you incorporate them in the relocation preparations and the moving
itself, it might be less stressful for them. It is not going to be easy, and from experience I know that family visits and especially the good byes can be very emotional and draining.

Good luck, Linkat!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:31 pm
I don't think you should try and sugarcoat it.

Tell the truth. It's the best thing for your family (that means you and Mr. FreeDuck, and the Duckies) right now. It's a good opportunity and you're pleased to have it.

You can tell them that you're looking forward to them spending a lot of time with you in Texas, that you're looking for a home that will accommodate them as guests, and that you understand this will be hard on them as well as your own family.

Also tell them that you hope they appreciate that this will be a hard transition for the Duckies, and that you're sure they're going to help make it easier for the Duckies.

Definitely talk to them about all the things you appreciate - but don't let it become a negotiating/let's discuss this session.

News first - with the focus on the Duckies and the support they're going to continue to need from everyone.

(I'd be a proponent of you and Mr. FreeDuck together - reinforcement of the two of you and your family idea.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:32 pm
(FreeDuck?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
oops - got carried away in between two threads

Embarrassed
0 Replies