hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 02:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
One of the many things that makes Olympia "special" is that we are only 1.5% black. The connected city of Lacey is 6%, still of course very low. The metro area is mostly white and asian.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 04:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, at least they realize the Democrats haven't been doing them any favors, but it certainly suggests that their plan (half-baked as it may seem) is for some sort of violent insurrection, or guerilla war. What the goal of such an action might be is difficult to fathom.

Or maybe they have delusions about a network of black dominated and run cities that are somehow separate from the rest of the nation.

As a movement, it's going no where, but as a terrorist group it could be quite problematic. I'm not predicting that, but, again, I'm don't know what to make of the quoted statement. You don't struggle politically in the streets; you struggle violently there.

As for the DNC, what a bunch of gutless, cynical, panderers. Someone needs to ask them what they mean by their endorsement that Black lives matter. What respectable organization or decent citizen is going to say otherwise? It shows how desperate they are for the black vote to turn out in 2016.
hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 04:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well, at least they realize the Democrats haven't been doing them any favors, but it certainly suggests that their plan (half-baked as it may seem) is for some sort of violent insurrection, or guerilla war. What the goal of such an action might be is difficult to fathom.

It certainly appears to me that the plan is to bully the cops into submission, department by department. THat will never work however, as the police bosses have already been shown very clearly that they will have open revolt in the force if they try. Just the other day we saw the police union in DC telling the chief and her bosses that the force has no confidence in their leadership, and we saw that in NYC as well. The bosses really have almost no power to make cops put their lives on the line to battle criminals, the bosses really have no choice but to support the cops, morally and otherwise.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 04:28 am
Black people are being killed in pretty impressive numbers by cops and dying by questionable means in custody, and THEY are the terrorists?

In the thick of these deaths, black people created a hashtag that very simply said - "Hey! Look at this! Pay attention to what's happening to black lives in this country." And this is terrorism?

Sure there are problems in the so-called black community. There are things the community can do to police themselves - but we are all organically evolved from our histories, environments, etc. If you had come up through slavery, ownership, Jim Crow, and the different black world in the US, you would not be the guys you are.

Those times were not finite - with an end we can point to. If that is true, PTSD doesn't exist. What's a traumatized marine's problem about today? The war is over.

You just have to possess a small amount of empathy to understand Black Lives Matter.

The "pigs in a blanket" chanters in response to the assassination of a cop were idiots who are hurting the positive spirit of the BLM movement. Many more stupid episodes like that, and the goodwill for the group will fall apart.
Baldimo

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 11:01 am
@Lash,
Quote:
If you had come up through slavery, ownership, Jim Crow, and the different black world in the US, you would not be the guys you are.

Those times were not finite - with an end we can point to. If that is true, PTSD doesn't exist. What's a traumatized marine's problem about today? The war is over.

The problem today Lash is that no one alive lived under slavery or being owned. Jim Crow laws were abolished 50 years ago and a majority of people today never lived under them. So comparing a Marine who was in a war zone to black people who were never owned and PTSD is a complete BS statement. Most of the PTSD experienced by blacks today comes from growing up in their own neighborhoods. One wrong look at someone and you get your ass kicked, if you don't act hard, you are weak and will get taken advantage of. Snitches get stitches... that is the reason for PTSD. Look at the murder rate of blacks by blacks, it has nothing to do with whitey and I very highly doubt a majority of black people have experienced true racism as their grandparents did. Today's world is more perceived racism than actual racism.
Lash

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 05:02 pm
@Baldimo,
I hear what you're saying, but I think you miscalculate by a few degrees.

We are an amalgam or remnant of our ancestors and all the things that made them who they were. The stories and beliefs passed down through the generations of my family create a large part of who I am. The slave story in the US perverted the story of Africans who were forcibly transplanted to the US.

My stories, belief systems, and realities were vastly different than the stories passed down and experienced through the generations of black families across town. I think it's reasonable to say that the current relationship between poor blacks and law enforcement doesn't have to go back even as far as my own life to find the source of distrust and enmity. Jim Crow was in force during my life.

Have those stories been wiped clean from the lives of people still living that suffered abuse from cops? Dude, I would be telling my children to stay the hell away from cops. Not to ever trust them.

I believe if people can drop political beliefs for a minute and put themselves in the honest position of people who have suffered murderous abuse for over a hundred years, you might understand when they get pissed and chant stupid ****.

Black lives do matter. Why perpetuate the bullshit. Just let it go. After blowing off some steam, they will too.
snood

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:03 pm
After blowing off some steam, they'll let it go.

A succinct examination of the Black Lives Matters movement.

Arrogant, condescending and stupid as ****, but succinct.
ossobuco

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:09 pm
@Lash,
Thank you, Lash.
Sometimes I am just freaked by what I read by whites.
ossobuco

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm white, my ex is white, from a south LA family. His parent were thrifty, thus that house choice.

Part of what started my ex writing plays involved where he lived (ah, full scholarship). They went through a house invasion, shotgun style.. I was afraid to drive there to pick him up, back in the beginning.. 71st, Budlong.
No, none of those plays went anywhere.

My x is not anti grouped anybody, least of all black.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:46 pm
@snood,
Quote:
After blowing off some steam, they'll let it go.

A succinct examination of the Black Lives Matters movement.

Considering that it took them over a year to attempt to tell us what they want it is kinda hard to claim that getting something important done is a high priority with them. If they were ever interested in doing something worthwhile they failed, now they are just a bunch of hoodlums raising hell. We should treat them accordingly.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:50 am
@Lash,
I imagined everyone reading my post would know the ultimate goal of BLM is putting an end to institutional racism. As that is being accomplished, I expect they'll continue to make a few "steam-blowing" mistakes that piss white people off.

But, I feel like progress is being made.
Baldimo

Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:56 pm
@Lash,
Progress being made as in the continued killing of cops takes place by those who support BLM?
Lash

Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:40 pm
@Baldimo,
I hear that, Baldimo. Let me ask you to look at it like this. Has anyone in your demographic done something heinous that you hate? Should you be called to account for it?

There are good people in the BLM movement who die a thousand deaths when the fringe element makes a bonehead move.

When I was a Christian, I was horrified by murders of abortion doctors. I was a member of that group, but hated a lot of their actions.

I agree with the movement that says it's time to end institutional racism. When people with BLM do things I hate, I say so - but I won't give up on the movement as long as the leaders disavow the heinous stuff.

I appreciate the dialogue. Thank you.

BillRM

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 12:49 pm
@Lash,
That nice Lash however if the reducing of the waste of having young black men killed matter to those in the movement. police shooting would be way way down the list of causes to focus on.

In fact by drumming up hate for the police and therefore at least indirectly encouraging attacks on the police the end result will be more young black men killed not less.

Sorry until and if the BLM movement begin to address the main reasons that young me are being hurt and killed in far great numbers then other groupings to me the concerns and outrageous they are expressing concerning the police is as phony as a three dollar bill.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 01:21 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
When people with BLM do things I hate, I say so - but I won't give up on the movement as long as the leaders disavow the heinous stuff.

Those jokers gain by drumming up hate between blacks and the rest of society and for an example of that going back many decades see the history of Al Sharpton for a fine example of that fact.

The BLM movement seems similar to the KKK but I would love to be proven wrong by them taking a more balance approach to the problems of our black citizens and stop trying to made law enforcement men and women into some version of the SS.
hawkeye10

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 02:05 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The BLM movement seems similar to the KKK

Excellent point Bill.
hawkeye10

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 03:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
One of the most important things I have learned as a white person who is committed to racial equity is to listen to non-whites in the knowledge that they are capable of analyzing their experience much more accurately than I am. This doesn't mean I must uncritically believe anything that anyone who isn't white says, but I do have to respect others' perspectives. Based on what I hear people of color saying in general, and the specific feedback I get from the people of color in my life, I feel as if my understanding of the phrase Black Lives Matter is informed by the experience of my brothers and sisters of color. One of the reasons people of color are using the phrase Black Lives Matter is not because they think that black lives matter more than other lives. It is because they have the experience that many individuals and our society as a whole do not behave as if black lives actually matter as much as white ones. Most people I know hold to the belief that one should care about one's fellow human beings. Certainly Gov. (and Reverend) Huckabee does. When someone we care about says, "the behavior that you are engaging in makes me feel as if I do not matter to you," what is an appropriate response? Should we be offended? Should we tell them that their perception of reality is wrong? Should we ignore the data that they present to us upon which their belief is founded? Should we value of their silence and our comfort over their perception of what is in their best interest?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-dicaprio/martin-luther-king-jr-can_b_8090052.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

The correct response is "Of course, all lives mater, do you want to talk?" This does not mean that I am signing up for a lecture however, and I do not give up my rights to equality by having my opinion decided for me and I am not giving up my right to be a decider on what this collective does going forwards. But I am available for a conversation.
farmerman

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 03:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
the trouble with your POV has been the fact frequently demonstrated herein that, whenever a cop does a shooting or is involved with a suspicious death of a black person, the BLDM side, immediately jumps to the aid of the alleged perp (Cops in this case) even before any facts are in.
That goes for the other side also.
There is no license to kill implicit in a cops oath of office OR the publics belief that all was "justified homicide"

hawkeye10

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 03:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

the trouble with your POV has been the fact frequently demonstrated herein that, whenever a cop does a shooting or is involved with a suspicious death of a black person, the BLDM side, immediately jumps to the aid of the alleged perp (Cops in this case) even before any facts are in.
That goes for the other side also.
There is no license to kill implicit in a cops oath of office OR the publics belief that all was "justified homicide"

Cops rarely shoot at people who are obeying. When blacks admit to openly ignoring cops and running away from cops they gotta expect they are going to get killed. Black behaviour is going to be a part of any conversation on this subject that I am part of.
engineer

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 04:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
You are the last person I would have pegged for saying that if you don't blindly obey a police officer, you should expect them to kill you. Police officers have a legally defined set of responsibilities. They are not owed obedience, they are public servants, not public masters.