Making Fun of the Clown Car of Republican Candidates

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:49 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
you're not my partner, Thank you Jesus.

Considering that you clearly struggle to treat me like a human, YEAH.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 08:01 am
@hawkeye10,
So your argument is that we should compare the entire cost of a teacher to just the salary of a construction worker?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:35 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

So your argument is that we should compare the entire cost of a teacher to just the salary of a construction worker?

So my argument is that the Right largely thinks we pay a ton for education, get little for our money and a part of it is that we pay a ton for teachers who indoctrinate their personal opinions rather than educate and they are not in the mood for any more sniveling about how teachers dont make enough in return for their crap work.
parados

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 02:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
A ton?

Paying teachers $45,000 is not a ton of money.

Which do you value more? Money or your children's education?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 02:13 pm
I know of rich people who pay investment analysts huge amounts to tend to their money and assets...

...and pay nannies from third world countries sub-standard wages to tend to their kids.

Just a matter of priorities!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 03:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
My first hand experience is that this statement "we pay a ton for teachers who indoctrinate their personal opinions rather than educate" is completely wrong. Also my first hand experience is that people who say this around here (and there are a few) think their children have great teachers but the other teachers are evil, especially ones in other states.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 03:42 pm
@engineer,
Sort of the way people think their legislator is akin to god but yours dosent know shyt, and besides is a crook who should be in jail?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 03:45 pm
@engineer,
We all need to call them as we see them.

I dont agree with a lot of those on the Right who roundly condemn teachers, though I do agree with those on the right who roundly condemn our education system. I dont think that teachers are the major problem, and I think that they would under the right conditions be allies in fixing education. But they are poorly trained, poorly lead, and they have no reason to believe in any reform movement because they have seen so many poorly done reform movements that were not tried long enough to even prove if they could work or not. Teaching is a pretty sucky job right now, and I have no interest in making it worse.

You did see before that I was translating for the lefties here the argument from the Right? We have to get pass the left and the right talking past each other. I am trying to do good work.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 03:54 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

A ton?

Paying teachers $45,000 is not a ton of money.

Which do you value more? Money or your children's education?

Average teacher pay is $60k for 9 months work, with a lot more in bennies and differed pay.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d13/tables/dt13_211.60.asp

these are US government numbers, not the teacher union numbers that you are using. I will go with the Dept of Education set of facts.

Cost of employment is clearly a lot more than $75k per year of work...health insurance alone cost us over $10k per teacher per year, and the retirement package has to be at least $30K a year. These are not numbers that are easy to find because everyone involved has a motive for hiding from the taxpayers how much we are paying for our schools.
hingehead

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 11:58 pm
This probably supports just one of Hawkeye's points - that the right see education as the indoctrination centres for the left.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5d/94/62/5d94620cfaf0a1fcd16309c3049798f4.jpg

Thank FSM my country is swinging back to the left after a disastrous flirtation with a Murdoch-approved hollow man.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 12:02 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
This probably supports just one of Hawkeye's points - that the right see education as the indoctrination centres for the left.

Of the elite actually. A person who has avoided the program has a better chance of being well educated.
hingehead

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 12:27 am
@hawkeye10,
The elite? Do no republic politicians fit that category? If Trump doesn't classify as an elitist then I'm going to learn another language.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 12:31 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

The elite? Do no republic politicians fit that category? If Trump doesn't classify as an elitist then I'm going to learn another language.
Almost all POTUS candidates are , Scott walker is the only one this go who is not, and he sucks. I am a chef, we get taught to make what we have available work.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 10:35 am
@hawkeye10,
Where did you get 60K for 9 months work from your link?

First of all nowhere is 60K the average. It is $56K and then it states average annual salary not salary just for 9 months of teaching. Many teachers also work summers in a teaching capacity or have coaching jobs. Teaching is not just the time you spend in a classroom. We don't know what the numbers include. The interesting thing is you read the stats you posted and teachers are making a salary that is very similar to what they earned in the 1960s when adjusted for inflation. So your argument that they are making a ton of money is disproven by your own link.

I find it interesting how you continue to argue that teachers are the only profession with health care and a retirement package. Estimates I have seen state that the benefits package adds about 32% to the salary. $56K x 1.32 = $74K with benefits. Once again, not a ton of money.

Let's assume that teachers have $30K put away every year for retirement. (An idiotic suggestion by the way.) If we simply assume a return of 5% a year adjusted for inflation over their 30 year teaching career, that means they would retire after 30 years with an income in retirement that is at minimum double their salary.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 04:18 pm
Here's a more global comparison type article
http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2014/sep/05/how-the-job-of-a-teacher-compares-around-the-world

Interesting little interactive infographic too.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 06:02 am
http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/uploader/image/2015/09/22/Carson-Muslim-1024.jpg
McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 02:15 pm
@revelette2,
When I heard Carson say that, I thought to myself "Huh, that's an odd opinion." At no time did I believe that Carson's word were automatically converted to law. Strange.
revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:05 am
@McGentrix,
He is pretty high up in the polls, a lot of conservatives supported his statement, he is running for President, it could become law if the second worse were to happen. (The first being Trump)

I realize a lot of you conservative are reasonable people which is why I don't understand why you have such unreasonable people in leading positions (or trying to be) speaking for you. Maybe if enough of you started to really denounce these idiots, you could get some sane conservatives again.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:11 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
I realize a lot of you conservative are reasonable people which is why I don't understand why you have such unreasonable people in leading positions (or trying to be) speaking for you.

Would you kindly post a link to the post where McGentrix informed us that he was having other people speak for him?

Thank you.
revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:49 am
@hawkeye10,
He is a conservative, Trump and Carson are leading in the polls with conservative republicans, unless he and others state outright they do not support them or their statements, then they speak for them. It is simply illogical for George and others to keep acting as if people like Trump, Carson and conservative talk show hosts are not part of their party when a majority of their party's support them. More conservatives need to speak out against them so people will know the views Trump and others like him espouse is not what the conservative party is about. Right now they are only ones getting any attention in the conservative party.