Several People Shot Near the Empire State Building

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 07:51 am
BREAKING NEWS:
Quote:

WNYC News Blog
Several People Shot Outside Empire State Building
Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:30 AM

New York City officials say several people have been shot outside the Empire State Building and that the gunman is dead.

City police say three or four civilians have been wounded in the Friday morning shooting and that the shooter is dead.

A fire department spokesman says it received a call about the shooting just after at 9 a.m. Friday and that emergency units were on the scene within minutes.

The spokesman had no information about how many people were wounded or their conditions.

The shooting occurred at 34th Street and Fifth Avenue.

Several People Shot Near the Empire State Building
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/several-people-shot-near-the-empire-state-building/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 7,122 • Replies: 85
Topic Closed

dlowan

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:32 am
@tsarstepan,
I am very sorry to hear that. I hope those people are ok.
farmerman

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:33 am
@dlowan,
who shot the shooter? Is he still dead?
tsarstepan

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:40 am
@farmerman,
The police shot the shooter according to the early reports. And yes he's still dead.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:48 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Several People Shot, One Fatally, Outside Empire State Building
By WENDY RUDERMAN and WILLIAM K. RASHBAUM
Published: August 24, 2012/NYT

Several people were shot, one of them fatally, by a gunman outside the Empire State Building shortly after 9 a.m. on Friday, according to the police and city officials. The gunman was killed by the police, officials said.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/08/25/nyregion/25empire2-span/25empire2-span-articleInline-v2.jpg
WABC-TV, via Associated Press

In this frame grab from WABC-TV, emergency personnel respond to reports of several people being shot outside the Empire State Building on Friday.

One city official said that eight people were wounded.

“There are two people on site dead, a civilian and the gunman,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to provide information to the media.

The circumstances that led to the shooting were not immediately clear.

Two law enforcement officials said investigators have concluded that the shooting had no connection to terrorism and that it appeared to stem from a domestic dispute. A third said it might have been sparked by a robbery or dispute in the street.

A passerby said that she had just come out of a nearby dentist’s office when she heard a burst of gunfire.

“Suddenly I heard two shots or three shots, boom boom boom, and I saw two guys, they go to the floor,” said the passerby, a woman who would give only her first name, Monica. “I was really afraid.”

Andrew Pellenberg, 23, and a friend, both from New Jersey, were also nearby, thinking about visiting the Empire State Building. “We heard 10 to 15 gunshots,” Mr. Pellenberg said, “and it was all in a 30-second span.”

Several people were treated outside the Empire State Building, at Fifth Avenue and West 34th Street. The more seriously wounded were taken to Bellevue Hospital, and others to St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center.

The shooting caused a major traffic backup in the area with surrounding streets closed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/25/nyregion/several-people-shot-one-fatally-outside-empire-state-building.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Joe Nation

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 09:07 am
That piece of sidewalk is always crowded especially at 9 in the morning when the 20,ooo people who actually work in the building are trying to get in and so are the 10,000 tourists who want to see the city from the top on such a beautiful day.

Add to that the vendors selling everything from hats to helicopter rides and you have a lot of people in way of flying bullets.

Luckily, the gun community of the USA has provided enough access to weapons so another nutball can kill innocent people very efficiently.

Joe(yet they do not see it as any of their business what someone does with a weapon, just that they are allowed to keep and use their own.)Nation

0 Replies

msolga

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 09:11 am
Empire State Building Shooting: Multiple Wounded After Gunman Opens Fire (VIDEO) (LIVE BLOG):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/empire-state-building-sho_n_1827534.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008#24_livestream-of-bloomberg-kellys-press-conference
0 Replies

Roberta

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 01:24 pm
This saddens and enrages me. At that time of the day, a blind person would have no trouble shooting people.

Terrifying. Not just this, but what's happening all over the country.

Crazy people with guns.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Lustig Andrei

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:11 pm
Alert, everybody, alert!!! Is OmSigDAVID accounted for? Where'n'hell is he?
Lustig Andrei

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:14 pm
@oralloy,
I wish I could give you a 'thumbs down' w/o closing the post on my machine. It's the dumbest thing you've posted yet (and you've posted some doozies, as we all know). But I want to keep your post in sight because from time to time a feel a need to just shake my head in total disgust. Also eager to see what other responses you get on this irresponsible and potentially libelous claim.
oralloy

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I wish I could give you a 'thumbs down' w/o closing the post on my machine. It's the dumbest thing you've posted yet (and you've posted some doozies, as we all know). But I want to keep your post in sight because from time to time a feel a need to just shake my head in total disgust. Also eager to see what other responses you get on this irresponsible and potentially libelous claim.

Has it ever occurred to you that I was telling the truth (not just here, but in whatever other posts you were thinking of)?

I suggest that the only dumb thing here is the way the whacko anti-gunners force the NYPD to carry guns that are nearly impossible to aim.

The NRA protects me from most of the ravages of the anti-gunners, but no one protects the NYPD from the anti-gunners.

I agree on the thumbs down problem. I've voted down an occasional post myself, but I can't stand that it makes the post default to "hidden" from then on, so I usually don't.
oralloy

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Is OmSigDAVID accounted for?

Yes. He posted in the other thread. We can rest easy. He probably was not one of the injured bystanders (or if so, the injury was not great enough to prevent him from posting):

http://able2know.org/topic/196500-3#post-5087052

OmSigDAVID wrote:
revelette wrote:
Another shooting, not saying it could have been prevented by any tougher guns laws.
From early reports, it was started from a dispute in the workplace and not related to terrorism or a mass shooter.

Quote:
Empire State Building Shooting: Multiple Wounded After Gunman Opens Fire

NEW YORK (AP) -- Law enforcement officials in New York City say at least four people have been shot outside the Empire State Building in violence that stemmed from a workplace dispute, and that the gunman has been killed by police.

source
This shud be regarded the same as traffic accidents; just part of life,
except that thay are a lot less common than traffic collisions.

David
farmerman

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:03 pm
@oralloy,
We may have to amend the homily "Going Postal" to something more chic
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:05 pm
@oralloy,
To the best of my knowledge the NYPD carry 9 mm Glochs, which is what virtually every large and medium-sized municipal police now tote. I totally agree that these are not exactly target-shooting marksmanship quality pieces. However, I also know that at the Academy rookies get very careful training about the use of firearms in a crowd situation where innocent bystanders could become "collateral damage." If you were talking about Philly or Chicago or L.A. I might agree with you. But New York cops know how to nail a target without hitting the dude standing next to him.
oralloy

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
To the best of my knowledge the NYPD carry 9 mm Glochs, which is what virtually every large and medium-sized municipal police now tote. I totally agree that these are not exactly target-shooting marksmanship quality pieces. However, I also know that at the Academy rookies get very careful training about the use of firearms in a crowd situation where innocent bystanders could become "collateral damage." If you were talking about Philly or Chicago or L.A. I might agree with you. But New York cops know how to nail a target without hitting the dude standing next to him.

The NYPD's guns are modified to make it absurdly difficult to pull the trigger. Whatever aiming qualities the guns might have normally, the sheer strain of pulling the trigger prevents the gun from being aimed very well.
farmerman

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:27 pm
@oralloy,
NYPD's carry .45 cal ACP Glocks(Standards and target versions). I donnt think many police prefer 9mm because youd just piss off te perp. These 45 ACP's are a pretty accurate handgun but due to recoil, require re-aiming between shots .
Lustig Andrei

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
.45 cal.Glocks? OK. That's one powerful piece.
oralloy

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 07:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I donnt think many police prefer 9mm because youd just piss off te perp.

The 9mm isn't quite that bad. But it is true that a slightly more powerful cartridge is measurably more effective.

The 9mm and .38 special both occupy the same niche in anti-human handguns, that the .375 H&H occupies for elephant guns. They are all good enough, and plenty of people have used them successfully. But there are no end to the credible claims that something even a little bit more powerful is much more effective.

Longer barrels are also a big help with the 9mm. It is borderline when fired from a handgun, but is much better when fired from a submachinegun.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 07:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
.45 cal.Glocks? OK. That's one powerful piece.

Power is relative, I guess.

I wouldn't want to have to stop a charging bear with a .45ACP.