The Winding Road To The Republican Nomination For President

gungasnake

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:23 am
@parados,
Gingrich is in the 180 - 200 area and Obunga is more like 100 - 120. Obunga can't walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time without a teleprompter in front of him.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:23 am
Gunga says:

Quote:
Again a debate between Gingrich and Obunga would be a joke, there's almost a hundred point IQ difference between the two of them

Got that one right, gunga, which is exactly why Obama would make mincemeat out of him.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:38 am
re the teleprompter meme, have you happened to notice that every president all the way back to pre-Reagan has used them. Bush couldn't even get out "Mission accomplished" without a teleprompter beside him on the deck of the carrier.

And re Newt, not, of course, that he'll ever get the chance to debate Obama and loose lip something that'll sink him forever. He's had his requisite three days of front-runnerdom, and passed the leadership of the loopy brigade on to Rick Santorum.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:38 am
@gungasnake,
Not that I think it makes any difference, Gingrich is clearly unstable regardless of his IQ. However, as far as I am aware, Obama has never released his IQ numbers.

Quote:
What is Barack Obama's IQ?

He has not released that information. From the information available:

The average IQ for a college graduate with a bachelor's degree in the U.S. is 115.

Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law School.

Obama's IQ has been estimated anywhere from 110-165. He is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he served as editor, and later as president of the Harvard Law Review; which is an extremely prestigious position. Obama also taught at the University of Chicago for over 10 years, a top-ranked university in the United States. However, these achievement-based estimates fail to account for the possibility that Obama was a beneficiary of affirmative action, which based on collegiate averages would lower his estimated IQ to the 115-120 range.

Obama attended an elite private school in Honolulu as a scholarship student. Since all of the graduates from that school at that time took collegiate aptitude tests and he was not a National Merit Scholar, Semifinalist, or Outstanding Participant, his maximum possible score on the SAT was 1230, which is the 96.9 percentile. That would translate to a maximum possible IQ of 129. It should be noted, however, that one of the requirements for the National Merit Scholarship is taking the Preliminary SAT test. If Obama did not take the PSAT, he could very well have scored above 1230 on the SAT without being a National Merit Scholar.

Note: To many professionals in the 'IQ' field , this is all utterly absurd. I have no idea what Barack Obama's IQ is, but nobody with even a rudimentary understanding of what IQ means and how it is determined would suggest that any of the estimations methods (school grades and positions held at college) described in the answer have any validity whatsoever.

Affirmative Action helps minority students get into a prestigious school, not help them achieve when they get there. It's hard to believe that anyone who graduated second in his class out of the elite students could possibly have an IQ of 129 or less. Though the "Intelligence Quotient," or IQ is not the best determining factor for such an epistomological question one would need a higher IQ to understand the logic that goes along with American law. These answers are all speculation so the answer is undetermined and based on subjectivity. In order to become objective more research is necessary, especially on the basis of Harvard Law graduates. A study taking their mean IQ scores would be necessary. It couldn't even be combined with a study of the relation between SAT scores and IQ. Anyone could subjectively make up a number based on little true research and without warrant claim his IQ be 129.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:56 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Gingrich is in the 180 - 200 area and Obunga is more like 100 - 120. Obunga can't walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time without a teleprompter in front of him.

I think it was Paul Krugman who said, :

Gingrich is a stupid man’s idea of what a smart person sounds like.”

I am not calling you stupid, Gunga...I think you are far from stupid. But I think you are grossly over-estimating Gingrich's intelligence...and grossly under-estimating Obama's.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
@revelette,
Quote:
However, as far as I am aware, Obama has never released his IQ numbers.

He doesn't have to, the problem is obvious.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:02 am
Again for this record, this is my impression of what a debate between Gingrich and Obunga might sound like:

Moderator:
Quote:
Could you explain the basic idea of the fundamental theorem of Calculus for us?

Gingrich:
Quote:
The fundamental theorem of calculus is a proof of the inverse relationship between differentiation and integration which arises from viewing the integral of a given function (f(x)) from a fixed starting point (a) to a variable end point which you'd call x, as another function, say, capital F of x (F(x); differentiating that function is easily shown to produce the original function.....

Obunga:
Quote:
Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo, haw-haw-haw-haw-haw-hawww......

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:04 am
@gungasnake,
Because what we need in a President is the ability to recite Wikipedia entries....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:20 am
@gungasnake,
Gingrich? Calculus?

You do know that it would go more like this, right?

Moderator: Could you explain the basic idea of the fundamental theorem of Calculus for us?

Gingrich: See, this is what I talk about when I complain about the Liberal media. They are constantly attacking candidates with 'gotcha' questions that have no relevance to real life, that nobody could be expected to know. They do it to serve their masters in the White House and nobody is fooled.

Obama: I rest my entire electoral case, America. I'm going back to running the country full-time for the next few months.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:57 pm
Virginia's primary got very little coverage because only Romney and Paul qualified to be on the ballot. The results, nonetheless, surprised me.
Romney ended up with 158ooo votes (60%) vs 107000 (40%) for Paul. The 260000 ballots cast was down almost 50% from the 490000 in 2008. Turnout in 2008 was light because, by the time VA got around to voting after Super Tuesday, numerous candidates - including Romney - had dropped out.
I looked at the vote tallies in VA by city and county and the 60-40 split was quite uniform although Romney fared somewhat better in the DC suburbs - but not by much.
My conclusion is that the Paul vote count, which was significantly higher than in other primary states, is less about Paul and more about voters being unhappy with Romney. We earlier on this thread saw Cyclo's graph about Romney's unfavorable ratings. It could be significant that 100000 Repubs trekked to the polls to express their displeasure with him.
revelette

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:37 am
@realjohnboy,
Your right it is surprising that Ron Paul got 40% of the vote in Virginia. Is Virginia considered a blue state?

Meanwhile Romney campaign says losing nomination would take 'act of God'

Quote:
BOSTON -- Mitt Romney's campaign gathered the national press corps in their campaign war room this morning to deliver a simple message: It would take an "act of God" for any candidate not named Mitt Romney to win the Republican nomination.

The Boston-based campaign projected confidence in Romney's ability to win the nomination given the emerging delegate math in the campaign following last night's Super Tuesday contests.

"We will get to 1,144 whether it's on someone else’s timeline, or on our timeline," said one top Romney aide. "We will get to 1,144 and be the Republican nominee."

The background briefing with several members of the campaign's senior staff was emblematic of Romney's campaign: no grand flourishes, just business, math and message, with aides asserting the calendar was ill-suited to any candidate looking to eat into Romney's delegate lead.

Despite the overly dramatic way of putting it, when it comes to the math, the Romney campaign is probably right.
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:47 am
@revelette,
where's pat robertson and his heavenly tornadoes when you need him
revelette

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:30 pm
@djjd62,
I don't know, maybe Santorum supporters can appeal to the Rev. Franklin Graham for an earthquake or two.

Rev. Franklin Graham: Romney Not a Christian
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:08 pm
djjd says;
Quote:

where's pat robertson and his heavenly tornadoes when you need him

well,according to msn, he's out crusading for the legalization of marijuana. "Praise the Lord, and pass the sinsemilla, I have seen the light!"
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:12 pm
@MontereyJack,
actually legalizing drugs would be a brilliant campaign for the conservatives, we all know only dirty hippy liberals and their, uh, shall we say "urban" supporters do drugs, come election day they'd be too stoned to vote
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
F'sure, man. Some people can't just have a change of heart. They've got to launch a crusade.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:18 pm
Good evening. I see that Gingrich has cancelled his campaign appearances in Kansas. The state holds its caucus tomorrow meaning there is little ad spending. He evidently foresees a loss there and/or he is running out of time to remain competitive in Mississippi and Alabama. Primaries in those two states will take place next Tuesday.
Rasmussen is out today with polls in MS and AL - where polling is scarce:
MS: Romney (35%), Santorum (27%), Gingrich (27%) and Paul (6%).
AL: Gingrinch (30%), Santorum (29%), Romney (28%) and Paul (7%)
Romney has been working to down play his chances, claiming that the South is an "away game" for him and some pundits use the phrase Romney's "Southern problem.
It appears to me that there is growing support to go with Romney as the best opponent for Obama.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 03:11 am
First reports are in on how the Republicans have done with their new wedge issue of "religious freedom", a.k.a. birth control, and it looks like it was the Republicans who got the wedgie:
(Gail Collins, in today's NYT)
Quote:
The Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, which last summer found women almost evenly divided on which party should control Congress, now shows that women favor Democrats, 51 percent to 36 percent.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 02:15 pm
3 pm ET.
Results from the KS caucuses are coming in. With 40% of the votes counted, Santorum is at 3000 (53% of the total). Romney and Gingrich with about 1000 each are around 17%. Paul with 650 is last at 11%.
Turnout appears to be light.
KS has 40 delegates to the convention. Three of those will go to the candidate who wins the most votes statewide. Advantage Santorum.
There are 4 congressional districts. The winner in each district gets three delegates. For what it is worth, I see Santorum ending with six of them.
Finally, the remaining 25 delegates will be awarded in proportion to the candidates' statewide tally. So if Santorum ends with 53% of the vote, he could wind up with 13 delegates...BUT, in order to be eligible to play, a candidate must get 20% or more of the vote. Paul won't make the cut and Romney and Gingrich are on the bubble.
My understanding is that this shouldn't take long to wrap up.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 02:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
70% of KS caucus voting in:
Santorum- 8.6K (53%)
Romney- 2.8K (17%)
Gingrich- 2.6K (16%)
Paul- 2.2K (13%)
Wichita, Topeka and the KC area were considered more friendly for Romney and Paul. The mini-pop in Paul's tally suggests that at least one of those localities may have reported.