The Bah! Humbug! Christmas thread.

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:44 am
Want to get your completely unsocialable feelings about the "the festive season" off your chest?:

This is the place.

Anticipating a somewhat wretched Christmas?:

Tell us about it. We'll hold your hand & commiserate.

Spending Christmas alone & the prospect feels wretched?:

Talk to us! We'll make you feel better about it!

Having nightmares about the need to grit your teeth just to get through the family festivities?:

Tell us. We know. Oh yes, we do!

Are your kids wanting gifts that cost 2 months worth of mortgage?

We'll make far better suggestions! (Little rotters!)

In fact, any negative thoughts about Christmas at all are welcome!

Dump them here & move one ... & do what must be done. Consider this thread therapy! Very Happy

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 34 • Views: 52,810 • Replies: 313

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:46 am
It must be said! Christmas is not friendly to the environment!:

http://images.theage.com.au/2009/12/19/988345/svGOLDING_DEC20-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:52 am
Then (for me) there's Christmas lunch with my mother & my niece .. at my mother's aged care facility. Sigh. I'm wondering how to stay cheerful if it takes longer than usual for my mother to actually know who I am this time. What if she can't remember at all?
Not asking for suggestions, mind. Just venting. Christmas makes me nervous.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:54 am
Over to you.
Vent, whinge or complain as much as you like!
You are among friends here! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:04 am
And Christmas cards!
Will people who send them to you hold it against you if you're too disorganized to reciprocate?
(Note to self: write messages on cards and send TOMORROW! If they arrive a wee bit late, is this better than sending no card at all?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:35 am
I'm enjoying the festive season!

I am looking forward to christmas day!!!

(Cowering....)
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:48 am
@dlowan,
Excellent, excellent!

To tell the truth most of the lead-up stuff I find enjoyable (mostly), too.

It's mainly the family/Christmas associations I have difficulty with.
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:54 am
@msolga,
I seriously do find getting through Christmas with my mother, in her current situation, pretty difficult, though ... things can be very unpredictable.
dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:59 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I seriously do find getting through Christmas with my mother, in her current situation, pretty difficult, though ... things can be very unpredictable.

My sympathies.

Christmas is awful when the family causes great distress.

I am grateful every year now that I am an orphling.

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:01 am
@dlowan,
How do you celebrate (if you do) ... as an orphling, I mean?
dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:17 am
@msolga,
Friends.

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:19 am
@dlowan,
That makes sense.

I usually debrief with one after the event. Wink
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:33 am
I enjoy Christmas with my family and have always done that. There were Christmasses when things were not really harmonious - tell me a family where it was like that. Never anything serious and forgotten fast or made fun of -by my father - till things just settled.
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:50 am
@saab,
Just looking at the BBC's news site & stumbled upon the stress-o-meter,first offered in 2000:
Quote:
Christmas is the time of peace on earth and goodwill to all. But everyone knows that along with it there goes a couple of gigabytes of stress. Share your pain with the Stress-o-meter's group therapy.

BBC online readers could complain about anything, which they did, with relish. Unfortunately the stress-o-meter broke down under the pressure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1080000/images/_1082806_stressometer_broken_300.gif

More gigabytes have now been added to help cope.:

Quote:
STRESS-O-METER STATISTICS
Launched: 1015GMT
Early on: Low level stress, average 3-4
By 1300: Cranking up to 5-6
By 1600: Reaches the top
Main causes: Rail, shops, family, divorce, goldfish

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1715909.stm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:21 am
Hooo boy, do I know what you mean, msolga.

My dad had early onset Alheimer's -- he was only in his 60s when he started forgetting all of us. It was heartbreaking and emotionally draining to see him. I got really angry at my mom for not going to see him as often as I felt that she should.

And then one day it hit me -- he wasn't sad, we were. He'd just forgotten. It wasn't anything personal. If he seemed agitated it was more likely from the disruption of his normal schedule and his response to my sadness -- kind of like a kid can tell when you're sad so they get sad without really understanding why. I realized that my (infrequent) visits (I live far away from where he died) were more about me wanting some kind of acknowledgement that he simply couldn't offer. Once I made peace with that life was much easier for both of us, I think.

Not the bah humbug you were looking for but I feel your angst having lived it myself.

Take care and be merry.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:12 am
Oy msolga. I don't even know where to start, I'm thinking that in my 65 years I've had 1 xmas I enjoyed. That was a happenstance when I happened to spend xmas with my grandparents on their farm in the USA. On xmas eve my grandfather and I went up into the hills and cut us a tree and we spend the evening making decorations (stringing popcorn, cranberries, eating cookies, listening to music on the radio and looking forward to the home-made gifts (shirts and stuff my grandmother made) I got a lump of coal in my stocking but also a silver dollar and some candies. I was about 10 yrs old. EVERY other xmas was shear hell. This year Lady Diane and meself will have Osso here for steak and baked potatos with dessert of Diane made apple pie. It will be nice and we will miss not having Roger here this year.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:55 am
@dyslexia,
I'm going to bring these people some green vegetables..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:03 am
Re Christmas/holiday letters, I haven't sent many in my time - just a year or two when I didn't want to write full out notes to batches of people after some big life change. So it's been a while. This year I wrote up a letter to people I lost touch with after my move at Christmas time 2005.. but still have their street addresses, or I think I do. Will add handwritten note to each. It'll be interesting to see if I get any responses.

On the bah part, I fully get the alzheimer's conundrum, and also remember the Christmas eve my father went out for a walk and after a while I heard scratching noise at the front door - he had fallen and gotten back to the door. Extremely low hemoglobin, turned out to be from a bleeding ulcer. That was the start of some very down years to come. Sorrowful memory.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:38 am
Chipmunks roasting on an open fire . . .
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:40 am
@Setanta,
Do I smell freshly roasted Alvin in the air?!

Smells delicious!