A2K Running Club

George

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 05:11 pm
Rhys and I couldn't be there, but we toast your accomplishment!

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9874/atoast.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 01:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
next one is in novemeber -- Luv2Run Boston 5K #2.
hope you can make it...
Rhys & I are signed up.
Today's jog with Rhys went 2.5 miles.
jespah

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 07:34 am
@George,
Yay! So we'll see you in a coupla weeks.
George

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 06:45 am
@jespah,
Hope the weather's good.
JPB

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:05 am
@George,
Great! Happy running!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 08:26 am
Here he goes again: Sunday November 6th.

Bib number 58585 Start at 10:40 (back of the pack)

Follow here for $2.99 meh. http://www.nycmarathon.org/Join_In.htm
jonathan/jeffries
Joe(I will beat five hours this year, but it will only be slightly bruised.)Nation
sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 08:35 am
@Joe Nation,
Oh my gosh. Five hours of running. Five hours. <shakes head>

A few friends were in the Columbus marathon this year, I cheered 'em on. Pretty amazing watching the runners. Some of them looked like it was nothing (they were on pace for about 2.5-3 hours), some of them looked so incredibly tortured it was hard to look at them. One person's knee was at a horrible angle, I hope she was OK. No idea how she kept running. (I had to tamp down the impulse to help over and over again -- they're running, they're making the choice, my "help" wouldn't actually be helpful at all, etc.) And one really horrible case of bloody man-nipples, ouch.
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 08:37 am
@sozobe,
See Finish my Sentence by starting a new One thread. It's in the Dafties Section I should imagine. Jogging is the matter of the moment on there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:46 am
Runners! You gotta read this. Super-interesting (and inspiring):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html

One thing I like about it is that it focuses on FORM rather than the barefoot/ running shoe debate. If you run badly in Vibram Five Fingers you'll get injured, if you run badly in ultra-cushioned Nikes you'll get injured. If you run WELL in either one, you're fine. The shoes are not the main issue.
George

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:00 am
@Joe Nation,
Go, Joe, go!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:09 am
@sozobe,
We know that soz. Being obsessed with what one is doing is the main issue. Do you runners need to take lessons in running properly.

I'll tell you how to run properly. You just imagine you are being chased by a lion. That's evolution's way. The reason why there are so many "funny runs" is because different conformations of body all run properly in different ways.

When a wide receiver weaves past the despairing tackles of the defense for a touchdown run in the corner he is running like a man who has been ambushed by a pride of lions. It's authentic.

Anyway--you should be wearing hob-nailed boots to make the exercise more strenuous.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 07:10 pm
@George,
Quote:
Hope the weather's good.
zero chance of precip, upper 40's / low 50's...

did a tune-up yesterday.
right knee started acting up towards the end.
may not be able to run the entire course on sunday...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 07:15 pm
Watches spendi out lunching..

so, is Thomas running? Not to put you on the spot, Tomaso. My max was 4 miles.
Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
"Running" is putting it too strongly, but yes, I'll be waddling the New York Marathon again. Because I'm not going to make weight this year, I'm unsure if I can finish, and what speed I can sustain if I do. But just to pull a guess out my, uh, arm, the most likely outcome is that I'll finish with a time around six hours.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:36 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas, my darling, not kidding, move along and take care of yourself if you face trouble.

Waddling is a word up for renovation. I'm a lurcher myself, though a past waddler, and earlier jogger. I well know you could beat a lot of a2kers in a fraction of a marathon.

Glad to hear you are going.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I'll mention a real waddler.
We had a guy who had a korean grocery/liquor store two blocks from our house, on Washington. Good man, we used to talk.
He jogged funny. Sort of bouncy, left right, left right.
What to say, long as I knew him he always ran that way even for miles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 04:54 pm
OK, JoeN and Thomas, have fun tomorrow.

Is there a Boston area run for a2kers this weekend?
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 05:48 pm
@ossobuco,
You can bet it will be a minority interest osso. Most of us will be having a lie in.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 06:03 pm
@spendius,
Erm, I'd really like to follow JoeN and Thomas like some of us did another year, but I'm not interested in forking out spare dollars to do that. I'm wondering if whatever that website was that we used still works. Alas, I forget what it was. But - I could google.

Eek, I just noticed daylight savings time ends today - or early morning. This is also important for online football game following. (I am always always always bummed at the loss of daylight savings this time of year.)

Edit - I found a way to track runners (up to ten) free. Good! Called Track My Runners under the official race site at

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/Join_In.htm

Thomas - give us your race number if you feel like it (and see this).
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you mean that it might have gone dark by the time the determined stragglers get to the finish?