Let's discuss the minimum wage

parados

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 09:27 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
Advocate, put your thinking cap on, if you have one. How high would the minimum wage need to be raised before jobs begin to be lost? Or would no jobs ever be lost at any point? Just apply the laws of basic economics.

Which laws are you referring to okie? There is a difference between the reality of economics and the theories put forth by conservatives.

Have you heard of the law of supply and demand? Maybe not? As prices of goods rise, demand typically declines, given other factors are fairly static, while supply usually increases, at least for a time until the reduced demand causes the price to come down again.
So in the real world, demand for gasoline has obviously gone down in the last few years since the price went up. It MUST be so since you claim it is what happens when prices go up.

Quote:
Labor is another commodity that responds in a similar manner. As I said, basic economics that even hillbillies and hicks without a high school diploma have figured this out, so you don't even have to take Economics 101 to learn it. If you don't agree with this, how come you haven't learned the most basic of all principles of an economy, Parados?
Let me know when you can prove that the demand for gas has gone down since the price went up. Reality vs theory here okie. Reality is that there are so many factors involved in commodities that a simple price increase doesn't mean the demand always goes down at all. In reality, modest price increases have little effect on demand unless there is an alternative to that product that is quite a bit cheaper.

Let's examine McDonalds workers making a minimum wage of $5. The price of labor is not the total price of the product. In fact the price of labor isn't even 1/2 of the product price. If one person at a McDonalds serves $100 worth of food an hour and they go from $5 an hour to $5.25 an hour it only increased the cost of the food to $100.25 for the restaurant to have no incurred costs. Hardly enough to cause someone to stop going to a McDonalds. The price of burgers vary more than that from one McDonalds to another.

Now let's examine cereal. Kellogs sells its cereal at a much higher price than store brands but people still buy Kellogs. Why is that okie? I guess it means that in the real world price is NOT the only factor in demand. You have to look at perceived value. It has been shown that people will often pay more for a product just because they think the higher price means it has higher quality. The reality of the real world far outweighs your simple theory that doesn't account for a thousand other things that really occur.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 10:51 pm
Okie
Sorry
"I would challenge you to provide some proof of your apparent source of your unhappiness with life. You cause me to suspicion that you might be a politician and you think you are overworked? If so, maybe you should go rob a bank and go to jail, so you could live higher on the hog, and work less hours per day."
I put it plainly.
Nelson Mandela was a president in an unknow country and he had arned a minimum wage .
Bush is a president and he earns a minimum wage.
I hope you follow me.
by CRIMINAL I mean those who shape and shake the world without scrupple
= the so called free maket anti social unchristian.
I had not meant the so called criminals like Bank robber or petty pick pocket thieves.
My question is this.
What kind of nonsense is this=
What should be the limit of minimum wage for any CEO's( like our beloved Bill Gate.)
My protest is this.
If you need 1000 Euro per day you are entitled to earn five times more and NO MORE.

Hope the CEO's salary should also be to the level of their needs and NO MORE.

Respects for your response
Rama

No limit?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:09 am
Okie
I had made some typing mistakes in the above response for which I regret.

Now I wish to make my views clearly.

Don't you already have enough money to last you for the rest of your life as long as you don't buy anything?

Why do people need a lot of money when they don't have any time to spend it?

Why, when you're 'making a living', you're barely making enough to survive, but when you're 'making a killing', you're making enough to really live?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 07:38 am
parados wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Advocate, put your thinking cap on, if you have one. How high would the minimum wage need to be raised before jobs begin to be lost? Or would no jobs ever be lost at any point? Just apply the laws of basic economics.

It's not that no jobs are ever lost; there are some businesses who run next to the bleeding edge of profits, who would lose jobs if you raised minimum wages by 1%.

It's a question of 'not many' jobs being lost due to minimum wage increases. I haven't seen evidence that the very modest increases in minimum wage that we've had over the last 20 years (much less than inflation, btw) have lead to a large loss of jobs for folks.

Cycloptichorn

In fact the opposite has occurred. Jobs have been created after the minimum wage was raised.

Are you claiming that jobs were created because of the wage increase, or that the economy continued to grow in spite of the increase?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 07:49 am
Re: Okie
Ramafuchs wrote:
I had made some typing mistakes in the above response for which I regret.

Now I wish to make my views clearly.

Don't you already have enough money to last you for the rest of your life as long as you don't buy anything?

Why do people need a lot of money when they don't have any time to spend it?

Why, when you're 'making a living', you're barely making enough to survive, but when you're 'making a killing', you're making enough to really live?

"To each according to his need" was a communist idea, Ramafuchs.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:00 am
parados wrote:
Let me know when you can prove that the demand for gas has gone down since the price went up.

I don't know that I can prove it in a macro sense, but the cost of gas has definitely changed the patterns of behavior for people I know. More Prius purchases, less SUVs, more car pooling to work, etc. I can see that directly. Your point that there are many factors at work is valid and I like your McDonalds example, but supply and demand does work.

Quote:
Let's examine McDonalds workers making a minimum wage of $5. The price of labor is not the total price of the product. In fact the price of labor isn't even 1/2 of the product price. If one person at a McDonalds serves $100 worth of food an hour and they go from $5 an hour to $5.25 an hour it only increased the cost of the food to $100.25 for the restaurant to have no incurred costs. Hardly enough to cause someone to stop going to a McDonalds. The price of burgers vary more than that from one McDonalds to another.

OK, so the demand side is not all that dependent on wage. I agree. It fact, when I worked at McD many years ago, only the newest employees made the minimum wage. Once a new employee looked like a keeper, his salary was quickly raised in an effort to keep them. But what about the other side of the equation? If McD raises starting salaries, the pool of workers willing to work for that salary increases. Low end workers have to move to jobs on the back shifts as more qualified workers move in to take the better day jobs, etc. This was evident to me as a high school student pushing burgers long ago and I doubt it has changed.

Quote:
Now let's examine cereal. Kellogs sells its cereal at a much higher price than store brands but people still buy Kellogs. ... I guess it means that in the real world price is NOT the only factor in demand. You have to look at perceived value. It has been shown that people will often pay more for a product just because they think the higher price means it has higher quality.

True, but this is an excellent example of price driving demand. If the store brand was at the same price as Kellogs, no one would buy it. As the price differential increases, more people are willing to try the store brand. I've made the decision standing the store aisle myself. I look at that price spread and I consider if I'm willing to try something new. As the spread increases, I'm more tempted and I've brought home the store brand in the past.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:06 am
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
okie wrote:

Which laws are you referring to okie? There is a difference between the reality of economics and the theories put forth by conservatives.

Have you heard of the law of supply and demand? Maybe not? As prices of goods rise, demand typically declines, given other factors are fairly static, while supply usually increases, at least for a time until the reduced demand causes the price to come down again.
So in the real world, demand for gasoline has obviously gone down in the last few years since the price went up. It MUST be so since you claim it is what happens when prices go up.

I knew we disagreed on almost everything, but I am still learning how naive you must really be. If the price of gasoline was lower, demand would indeed have been higher now than it actually is now, and supply would also be reduced, especially in the long term if there was little or no profit in producing it. The overall trend is also affected by other factors, such as growing populations and further industrial development in other countries around the world.
All of this is totally obvious.

Quote:
Quote:
Labor is another commodity that responds in a similar manner. As I said, basic economics that even hillbillies and hicks without a high school diploma have figured this out, so you don't even have to take Economics 101 to learn it. If you don't agree with this, how come you haven't learned the most basic of all principles of an economy, Parados?
Let me know when you can prove that the demand for gas has gone down since the price went up. Reality vs theory here okie. Reality is that there are so many factors involved in commodities that a simple price increase doesn't mean the demand always goes down at all. In reality, modest price increases have little effect on demand unless there is an alternative to that product that is quite a bit cheaper.

Price always has an effect, which should be obvious, but if it is only a very small increase, the effect may be fairly small, which when entered into the total equation, it is difficult to quantify, but the effect is still there.

Quote:

The price of the burgers are not only affected by wages at the retail outlet, but all throughout the production chain from the farm to the burgers served to the customer, so yes, labor is only one factor, but it occurs from the pasture to the burger. The same principle applies to the hamburger buns and all the condiments that go into the burger.

Quote:
Now let's examine cereal. Kellogs sells its cereal at a much higher price than store brands but people still buy Kellogs. Why is that okie? I guess it means that in the real world price is NOT the only factor in demand. You have to look at perceived value. It has been shown that people will often pay more for a product just because they think the higher price means it has higher quality. The reality of the real world far outweighs your simple theory that doesn't account for a thousand other things that really occur.

You are really dense, Parados. Perceived value is important, but this is all part of the value of any product that affects demand. There is a higher demand for a higher quality product, but this is always tempered and influenced by price, so if Kellogs goes to a higher price still, store brands will further cut into the sales of Kellogs. It is all part of the supply and demand equation. Price is always balanced against worth or perceived worth of a commodity. It is an undeniable truth and the very fact that you would try to argue against it makes you a blithering idiot.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:11 am
Engineer, I was working on my post the same time as you. Thanks for your input of mostly support, but you failed to point out that labor exists throughout the chain of production of what McDonalds sells, not just the labor at McDonalds. Labor permeates the entire economy of producing and selling things. Even where machines replace humans, the cost of the machines have labor as a cost factored into their cost as well.

I sort of apologize for calling Parados an idiot, but seriously, I think its time for idiocy to be called for what it is. Parados is probably a very smart man, but I think he is an example of intelligence gone awry. All common sense has become lost in his sophistocation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:23 am
okie wrote:
I sort of apologize for calling Parados an idiot, but seriously, I think its time for idiocy to be called for what it is. Parados is probably a very smart man, but I think he is an example of intelligence gone awry. All common sense has become lost in his sophistocation.

LOL
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:34 am
okie wrote:
I think its time for idiocy to be called for what it is.

Open season.

Cool.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:35 am
parados wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's a question of 'not many' jobs being lost due to minimum wage increases. I haven't seen evidence that the very modest increases in minimum wage that we've had over the last 20 years (much less than inflation, btw) have lead to a large loss of jobs for folks.

Cycloptichorn

In fact the opposite has occurred. Jobs have been created after the minimum wage was raised.

That's what the plain vanilla supply-and-demand model of the labor market predicts though. Over the last 20 years, the minimum wage has declined in real terms ("real" as in "corrected for inflation"). So the supply of minimum wage jobs should have risen -- and it did.

Cycloptichorn's observation doesn't refute the other prediction of plain vanilla supply-and-demand model of the labor market: that minimum wage employment would have risen even more if the minimum wage had risen even less.

That said, I admit that the empirical support for the plain vanilla supply-and-demand model of the labor market is somewhat more ambiguous than I had expected.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:48 am
Thomas wrote:
parados wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

That's what the plain vanilla supply-and-demand model of the labor market predicts though. Over the last 20 years, the minimum wage has declined in real terms ("real" as in "corrected for inflation"). So the supply of minimum wage jobs should have risen -- and it did.

Very insightful point, Thomas.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 01:46 pm
"Advocate, put your thinking cap on, if you have one. How high would the minimum wage need to be raised before jobs begin to be lost? Or would no jobs ever be lost at any point? Just apply the laws of basic economics."

A two dollar increase in the minimum wage would cause very few job losses. Moreover, firms that can't pay an employee $7.25, which is not even a decent wage, probably should go out of business.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 02:12 pm
Advocate wrote:
"Advocate, put your thinking cap on, if you have one. How high would the minimum wage need to be raised before jobs begin to be lost? Or would no jobs ever be lost at any point? Just apply the laws of basic economics."

A two dollar increase in the minimum wage would cause very few job losses. Moreover, firms that can't pay an employee $7.25, which is not even a decent wage, probably should go out of business.

For many jobs, I agree, but remember only 1.3% of wage earners are minimum wage jobs in the U.S., according to something Walter posted, so the ones worth more already pay more and is not affected by the minimum wage anyway. But what about very mundane jobs that might employ young people to do a very relaxed schedule of some kind of mundane or totally unskilled work? The true minimum wage is $0.00 if you don't have a job. It is better to have a job at a few bucks an hour than none at all if you still live with parents and you are simply saving some money for clothing or a future car or something else. Anyone trying to support a family on minimum wage needs to re-examine their career goals, skills, etc., which they should have done prior to that point. Plus you are forgetting one important point, nobody is forced to take a job.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 04:51 pm
None should get the minimum existence salary.
No one should question the nasty market barbarism.
I feel pity for the Americans who endure this hell while they are living.
Your system is rotten to the core .
Await for the inevitable end.
Rama Fuchs
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 07:19 pm
At the same time the Reps are trying to kill any increase of the min wage, they are thinking of other ways to screw the poor and middle class. For instance, the so-called "Fair Tax" would further shift the wealth upward, and screwover those below. And god forbid we provide healthcare to some more uninsured children. BTW, due to inflation, fewer children would get help than before under Bush's bare renewal of the program. But, what the hell, the kids can go to the ER.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 08:10 pm
More demagoguery by Ramafuchs and Advocate.

Ramafuchs, go complain about your own hell in your own country. There is no hell here, so kindly knock off the nonsense.

If this is so hellish here, why are so many people trying to escape heaven somewhere else to come to hell?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 03:03 pm
Okie, nice ad hominem attack. Tell us what I said that was wrong.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 04:10 pm
Something different but nothing to do the need based minimum wage.

Even in the U.S. and Canada the middle class is rapidly being squeezed down into poverty as the poor increase in numbers daily, despite the employment of both spouses now, often holding second and even third jobs, being forced to warehouse their children in institutions.

The philosophers' ideal of secure, modest wealth widely diffused to all classes is being supplanted by the two extremes, both harmful to mans' spiritual development, of extreme wealth or extreme poverty. As Mahatma Gandhi noted: Materialism and morality have an inverse relationship - when one increases the other decreases.

We are very rapidly becoming a world composed exclusively of the very few, very rich, and the very many, very poor. The middle remaining cannot hold.
http://www.themoneymasters.com/principles.htm
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:48 pm
Advocate wrote:
Okie, nice ad hominem attack. Tell us what I said that was wrong.

Part of your quote, which is so typical of the attacks you post here on a regular basis.

....the Reps are trying to kill any increase of the min wage, they are thinking of other ways to screw the poor and middle class. For instance, the so-called "Fair Tax" would further shift the wealth upward, and screwover those below.
0 Replies