Let's discuss the minimum wage

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:33 am
I like the intent of the minimum wage, which as I see it is to prevent the exploitation of labor. It embraces ideals of the fundamental worth of human beings.

The actual effects of the minimum wage, however, seem to be the opposite.

Generally speaking, artificial price setting tends to lead to blackmarket economies. The minimum wage creates one of the foundations of illegal immigration. It creates a culture of tax fraud and undermines the respect for the rule of law.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,393 • Replies: 250
No top replies

okie

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 11:40 am
Drewdad, I agree with what you open the thread with.

Similarly, price controls accomplish the opposite of the desired effect in the long run, by dampening supply, thus causing more demand than the supply can fulfill, thus driving prices up over what they would have otherwise been under normal market prices.

Politics does not lend itself to free market analogies real perfectly. Occasionally a rotten product is sold by fraudulant advertising, plus remember many rotten politicians are elected when they promise the citizenry everything they want. It boils down to the character of the citizenry and their wisdom and perception. Remember, Hitler was elected.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 11:42 am
okie wrote:
Drewdad, I agree with what you open the thread with.

Similarly, price controls accomplish the opposite of the desired effect in the long run, by dampening supply, thus causing more demand than the supply can fulfill, thus driving prices up over what they would have otherwise been under normal market prices.

Politics does not lend itself to free market analogies real perfectly. Occasionally a rotten product is sold by fraudulant advertising, plus remember many rotten politicians are elected when the promise the citizenry everything they want. It boils down to the character of the citizenry and their wisdom and perception. Remember, Hitler was elected.

How does the minimum wage dampen supply?

Drewdad, you seem to be arguing that there would be less illegal immigration with minimum wage, because the lower wages made by our own home workers would act as a disincentive for people to come. I cant' agree that this is a wise position.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 11:50 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Great question, but the minimum wage is the opposite of a price control, because it sets a minimum price, not a maximum price, so the effect is the opposite of price controls, so your question should read: "How does the minimum wage cause a glut of supply?" That is an easy answer, because it causes more people to be satisfied with minimum wage jobs than would otherwise be satisfied with a job that paid less than an artificially set minimum wage. Without a minimum wage, there would be a smaller pool of people seeking the low end jobs, thus the employer would have to pay more to get people to do the work.

As I've said many times however, the artificial minimum wage is probably at or near what the market would otherwise dictate, so we are not seeing extreme effects as described, but if the minimum wage was increased to $15.00, then you would see more of effects as described. The effect is gradational, in proportion to the minimum wage levels as compared to what the real market value of the wages would otherwise be.

All of this is simple common sense as applied to free market economics.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 11:55 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Great question, but the minimum wage is the opposite of a price control, because it sets a minimum price, not a maximum price, so the effect is the opposite of price controls, so your question should read: "How does the minimum wage cause a glut of supply?" That is an easy answer, because it causes more people to be satisfied with minimum wage jobs than would otherwise be satisfied with a job that paid less than an artificially set minimum wage. Without a minimum wage, there would be a smaller pool of people seeking the low end jobs, thus the employer would have to pay more to get people to do the work.

As I've said many times however, the artificial minimum wage is probably at or near what the market would otherwise dictate, so we are not seeing extreme effects as described, but if the minimum wage was increased to $15.00, then you would see more of effects as described. The effect is gradational, in proportion to the minimum wage levels as compared to what the real market value of the wages would otherwise be.

All of this is simple common sense as applied to free market economics.

So, without minimum wage laws, employers would be forced to pay minimum wage due to a lack of people trying to get the low-paying jobs?

I think you really underestimate just how low minimum wage is, Okie. Going up to $7.25 an hour pretty soon. A 40-hour week of that comes out to $290 a week, or $1160 a month - before taxes.

You realize that it is entirely possible that the minimum wage actually helps employers and producers keep costs down, by giving them a accepted and mandated low pay rate that they can stick to?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:09 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

So, without minimum wage laws, employers would be forced to pay minimum wage due to a lack of people trying to get the low-paying jobs?

Yes, I think that is reality in a free market.

Quote:
I think you really underestimate just how low minimum wage is, Okie. Going up to $7.25 an hour pretty soon. A 40-hour week of that comes out to $290 a week, or $1160 a month - before taxes.

Thats why I think the law is essentially superfluous, except for a few jobs at the margins of the economy. I think most jobs would demand at least $7.25 in a free market anyway, so the law is close to being useless, except politicians (mostly Democrats) can say, " I care, I did something," when in reality they did nothing of importance at all.

Setting a minimum wage is akin to setting a minimum price for gasoline, such as $3.00 per gallon. Work is a commodity in a free market.

Quote:
You realize that it is entirely possible that the minimum wage actually helps employers and producers keep costs down, by giving them a accepted and mandated low pay rate that they can stick to?

Cycloptichorn

You might have a point there, at least for some jobs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:22 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yes, I think that is reality in a free market.

Quote:

Thats why I think the law is essentially superfluous, except for a few jobs at the margins of the economy. I think most jobs would demand at least $7.25 in a free market anyway, so the law is close to being useless, except politicians (mostly Democrats) can say, " I care, I did something," when in reality they did nothing of importance at all.

Setting a minimum wage is akin to setting a minimum price for gasoline, such as $3.00 per gallon. Work is a commodity in a free market.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

You might have a point there, at least for some jobs.

Not just some jobs - a huge number of labor-oriented jobs are indexed to the minimum wage. Removing the minimum wage gives those same workers the ability to argue that their jobs are worth far more.

If the minimum wage laws were repealed, and a consortium of restaurants in a city agreed to drop their pay for cooks and dishwashers by 3 dollars an hour, what would all those people do? Quit and look for other employment? Most people can't afford to quit their jobs and go months looking for a new one, especially if there's extra pressure on the market caused by many others quitting. It would be a disaster.

I think minimum wage says: everyone's contribution is important. Here's the absolute least that we think is okay to pay somebody for doing work for you. Even if you don't think their job is as important as others, it's still important enough that the person should be able to scrape by in our society by doing their job.

There's also the inflation question: if the lowest wages (typically taken by unskilled workers) don't raise with inflation, then the poorest people in society become that much poorer....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Drewdad, you seem to be arguing that there would be less illegal immigration with minimum wage, because the lower wages made by our own home workers would act as a disincentive for people to come. I cant' agree that this is a wise position.

Cycloptichorn

I don't expect that lower wages would be a disincentive. Lots of illegals already work for the lower wages.

I've seen employers seek out undocumented workers to hire at a low wage, because the undocumented workers don't want the employer to be caught. Further, the employer can get away with lots of other violations - tax evasion, unsafe working conditions, etc. for the same reason.

The root cause, of course, is the unscrupulous employer. But the minimum wage contributes to the problem.

That's why I mentioned a blackmarket economy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think minimum wage says: everyone's contribution is important. Here's the absolute least that we think is okay to pay somebody for doing work for you. Even if you don't think their job is as important as others, it's still important enough that the person should be able to scrape by in our society by doing their job.

Like I said, I agree with that principle; there is dignity in labor. But the actual effect is not that intended. By setting a low-water mark for labor, you also set a threshold at which automation becomes economical.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
There's also the inflation question: if the lowest wages (typically taken by unskilled workers) don't raise with inflation, then the poorest people in society become that much poorer....

I don't think you can legislate prosperity. The road to higher wages through skills and education.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:55 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Like I said, I agree with that principle; there is dignity in labor. But the actual effect is not that intended. By setting a low-water mark for labor, you also set a threshold at which automation becomes economical.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't think you can legislate prosperity. The road to higher wages through skills and education.

You ignore the fact that there are certain segments of our society who A) don't have the mental capabilities to rise to higher jobs, or B) don't want to. This doesn't remove the validity of their employment, or the necessity of it, in the slightest, and they should be able to scrape by anyways. Adjusting the minimum wage for inflation isn't 'legistlating prosperity,' it's acknowledging that our money is worth less than it used to be, and we need to re-adjust our lower boundaries accordingly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:56 pm
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:57 pm
Re: Let's discuss the minimum wage
Bookmark. I can't say anything profound at the moment because I have a fever. But this promises to become a very interesting thread.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:05 pm
bookmark (hope you feel better soon, Thomas)
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:07 pm
Today, a minimum wage worker in Mexico
Today, a minimum wage worker in Mexico makes about 12 pesos/hr and a gallon of milk costs 32 pesos. A minimum wage worker in the US makes about $6/hr and a gallon of milk costs about $2.39. So, when we compare these prices in relation to the minimum wage we see that buying a gallon of milk as a minimum wage maquila worker in Mexico would be like paying close to $13 for a gallon of milk in the US.

I witnessed that life is difficult to live under these circumstances. I beleive that the situation created within these border cities is the major reason why so many Mexicans illegally enter the US each year. Despite the high chance of death or being caught by our friends, The US Border Patrol, crossing the border illegally is a chance to create a better life.

These are just words. The picture this system creates in real life is ugly. And I hate that I contribute to this system with many of the purchases that I make. This is why I want to create a change. I want to create an option for those of us who like stuff (I'll admit it, I'm as materialistic as the next guy) but would rather not harm a culture of people in order to get the stuff.

It's that simple.

Here is a poem I wrote after I returned to the US, it is meant to be heard more so then read, but whateverÂ…

http://chanellrenee.wordpress.com/tag/poetry/
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:28 pm
Of course the minimum wage is an attempt to legislate prosperity!

Of course, it amounts to a mandate that is unfairly assumed by those that employ low-wage workers.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:31 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You ignore the fact that there are certain segments of our society who A) don't have the mental capabilities to rise to higher jobs, or B) don't want to. This doesn't remove the validity of their employment, or the necessity of it, in the slightest, and they should be able to scrape by anyways. Adjusting the minimum wage for inflation isn't 'legistlating prosperity,' it's acknowledging that our money is worth less than it used to be, and we need to re-adjust our lower boundaries accordingly.

If the goal is to redirect income to the working poor, there are better ways to do it.

The minimum wage is a clumsy lever.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:45 pm
PUSHING FOR SHARED PROSPERITY
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Posted by Jim Hightower

One of the most oxymoronic and obnoxious phrases in America today is this: "The working poor."

We live in the richest nation in the history of the world, and it's morally abominable that anyone who works in this country is poor. Our economy is deliberately skewed by public policy. As a result, the vast portion of America's wealth, which is generated by all of us, flows to the few at the top, shortchanging the middle class and leaving millions of hard working Americans - many working two or three jobs - in poverty.

For the first time in a decade, congress finally has upped the minimum wage, increasing it by 70 cents an hour this summer, with two more 70-cent increases coming in the next two summers. If you're one of the working poor - trying to make the rent, put food on the table, and cover the basics of utilities, clothing, and gasoline - every penny matters, so a 70-cent raise helps. But congress critters should not injure their arms patting themselves on the back, for $5.85 an hour is a gross pay of only $12,000 a year - still a poverty wage for full-time work. Even with two more scheduled raises, the minimum wage will remain poverty pay.

Oh, exclaim right-wing apologists for this injustice, raising workers' pay hurts small business. But wait - I'm a small business owner, and it doesn't hurt me. In fact, a recent survey found that three out of four small and medium sized business owners say that raising the minimum wage doesn't hurt them. Indeed, two thirds of small businesses support a boost, because their workers gain more purchasing power, and the companies have less turnover, higher productivity, improved customer satisfaction, and an enhanced reputation.

Don't let the wealthy elite pit small business against workers. We're all in this together. For more information, check out Business for Shared Prosperity: www.businessforsharedprosperity.org

"Nation's lowest-paid will get a little boost," Associated Press, July 22, 2007

"Business Leaders Cheer Raise In Minimum Wage" www.businessforafairminimumwage.org, July 18, 2007
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
Advocate wrote:
the vast portion of America's wealth, which is generated by all of us, flows to the few at the top, shortchanging the middle class and leaving millions of hard working Americans - many working two or three jobs - in poverty.

Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccYoVnBc_fk Gets good about 1:20 in....
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 02:12 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yes, I've seen that in action. Back when the minimum wage was $3.85, McDonald's in the Northeast were paying $6.50. Fast food couldn't attract workers at minimum wage. Even down South where I grew up, different fast food chains would offer higher starting salaries to improve the quality of their employee pool.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 02:13 pm
Carlin has it right. We live in a plutocracy, with virtually all of being serfs.
0 Replies