Question for Women...Men, You Might Want to Look Away...

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:59 pm
I'm serious. Here's your last chance to not read this, guys.....

I warned you.

I was having contractions for a few days, inconsistant, some painful some not, and finally called my doctor just to be safe. He put me on temporary bedrest until I could get in to see him. Well, that appointment went a-ok. He says it's just pregnancy pains and normal stretching and all that jazz. And even if it were labor, he isn't worried about me going into it at this stage of the game.

Anyway, here's the part I have a concern about. After the pelvic exam (oh so joyous) I had some bleeding. It was about the size of a half dollar and bright red. I know that sometimes you spot after but it seems like a lot so i called just to make sure. Yes, yes it's normal. Whatever. I said cool. I start feeling weird. It hurts down there. Getting cramps and feeling just weird. I go to the bathroom a few hours later....more blood. This time with clots. (I know this is tmi but....I filled a panty liner). So, now I think, wow, this isn't spotting. So I call back.

It's NORMAL, he says, to bleed because my cervix is very tender. I say, not concerned about the clots? Nope, just go home and put your feet up and relax. It should start to abate after that. Well, I tell him, I work in a an office and am not on my feet at all during the day. But he says, no you need to be resting, aka, laying on the couch. Ok. Sure. If he's not worried, I'm not worried.

Except that it's now 7 hours later and I am still bleeding. Granted, I am not "resting" on my couch but there are still some small clots and tissue and blood. It's like a damn period.

Any other women who've been pregnant deal with this? Should I be questioning my doctor here? When should I call back and say hello, I am STILL bleeding and I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant?

Any advice? Or should I just stop worrying and trust my doctor? I mean, I'm not gushing blood but it seems like an awful lot for just having had the doctor touch my cervix once.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,800 • Replies: 88
No top replies

aidan

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:07 pm
If I was concerned at all, I'd go in- just for peace of mind and so I'd be able to sleep tonight.

I never experienced anything like that in my pregnancy- and I have no idea if it's out of the ordinary. It may turn out to be totally fine- but like I said- getting it checked out is a small price to pay for peace of mind. If you just explain how you're feeling worried, I think most doctors would understand and appreciate that fact, especially in regards to a woman experiencing her first pregnancy- but if s/he doesn't- too bad.
At worst, they'll think you're a worry wart- so what?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:08 pm
Well, I was just in this morning and when I called at noon he said he wasn't concerned because he knew I wasn't in labor.

I am not dialeted at all (or wasn't at 8am).

They are closed already today so I'd have to hit the hospital if I wanted to go in.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:16 pm
The last check up I had before I went into labor, the obstetrician said she was going to be a "little rough" to get things moving (I was two days past my due date). I hadn't been dilated at all- only effaced- but cramped all night and sure enough the next morning was in labor- no bleeding though.

At 8 1/2 months- if you called and asked your doctor to meet you at the hospital- they probably would (or at least my doctor would have). I guess I'd just lay on the couch- do exactly what he or she said to do. If the bleeding stops- great- if not- I'd go to the hospital.
I'd say something like, "I know it's probably nothing- but I won't be able to sleep tonight until someone else looks at what I'm seeing and reassures me of that- that's all I want."

*But I am a worry wart . The thing you have to remember is you're paying them to take care of you- it's not like you're asking them to do something you haven't paid them for.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:17 pm
just listening...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:26 pm
I just spoke to a lady down the hall and she tells me it's normal.

But she's had two kids, BOTH preterm (one 3 months early) so I don't know if she knows what "normal" is.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:28 pm
just my 2 cents....the baby can come at any time now and will be perfectly healthy.

your cervix is tender, and is preparing for birth, whether you go into labor today, tomorrow or after that.

I think your body is just preparing for the showdown.

any time now mom....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:30 pm
That's kinda what I think but man, 7 hours of bleeding is a long time to just bleed if you aren't having a period.

I swear, I am feeling woozy from the blood loss.... (kidding, but it still sucks)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:56 pm
I'm not clear if you have lain down with your feet raised as the doctor advised...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm not clear if you have lain down with your feet raised as the doctor advised...

Not yet.

He didn't tell me to go home from work, just that once I got home I was to put my feet up.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:06 pm
When you're halfway through labor and the babies big ol' head is peeking out into this big world through your cervix, I want you to think back on your spotting.

In reality, you've probably only lost a couple of tablespoons of blood.

You're fine honey, deep breaths.

Have you called your mom?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:09 pm
This is way more than spotting. Spotting is you use a mini pad and there is a small amount of blood on it. This is more, I've soaked through 2 mini pads in 4 hours so I just switched over to a regular pad to avoid staining my clothes and having wet nasty against me all day.

Like I said, I am not gushing and it's not a trickle of blood or anything and really it's the tissue and clots that bother me (where is this tissue coming from...is my cervix flaking off??).

Yes, called mom and she was kind of like ?? about it all. She never had spotting or bleeding at all during either of her pregnancies.

If this seems normal to any of you, please tell me.

My lower abdomen is sore and this whole escapade has started the contrations up again. Confused I have cramping, bleeding, pressure in my bottom, backache and a general sense of ickiness going on.

I am miserable today.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:17 pm
Ok just checked and it may be stopping....at least slowing significantly.

**whew**
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:19 pm
How long has the backache thing been going on?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:20 pm
3-4 days on and off.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:30 pm
Have you talked to the doctor about the back pain - given the time line ...

a friend of mine really only had back labour ...

If it is the early stages back labor, you need to change how you're sitting etc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:38 pm
Here's what my trusty "Pregnancy and Childbirth: Your Questions Answered" book says:

Q: Is vaginal bleeding a serious problem in pregnancy? A: Vaginal bleeding at any stage of pregnancy should be taken seriously. Even if you think the bleeding is harmless, it should be brought to the attention of your doctor or midwife so that the cause can be identified and treatment given. Severe bleeding in the early weeks may be a sign of miscarriage or, after 24 weeks, of premature labor. Seek medical advice at once.

Q: What does a "bloody show" mean? A: During pregnancy, a plug of jellylike mucus seals the lower end of your cervix to keep infections out of your womb. This plug comes out toward the end of your pregnancy, and although it may mean that labor is going to start soon, it can dislodge (with no harm to the baby) up to six weeks before labor starts. [i]Some women have a show after an internal exam, especially when they are at or near term.[/i]

Emphasis mine, there.

I'm definitely not saying that's what it IS, but the "tissue" comment made me think of when I had my "bloody show." If it's mucus-y as opposed to just blood, that could be it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:43 pm
Perhaps the clots were really snots and since I was bleeding a little already, they looked like clots?

As for the back pain, I am not dialeted so he isn't considering pre-term labor at all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:04 pm
Bella--

Do you have a little overnight bag packed for the hospital? Within the next two weeks you're going to have a baby.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:08 pm
Oh Noddy, if you are right, I will love you forever.

Yes...I have my bagged packed, having control over the one thing I can control!!
0 Replies