Aspirin a Day Can Kill

edgarblythe

Mon 5 Jul, 2004 11:37 am
My friend still lives alone. Last week a friend of hers asked me to be close by just in case she needed help getting out to go to the doctor; she fell and hurt herself a few days earlier. They didn't call on me, so I guess she made it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 20 May, 2005 05:22 pm
Elderly: An Aspirin A Day Can Make Your Brain Bleed
Jason L. Miller | Staff Writer | 2005-05-20

Though aspirin is well known as a daily miracle drug useful in the prevention of heart attack and stroke, a new study published in the British Medical Journal says that for people over 70, the risks counterbalance the benefits.

To date, clinical trials involving aspirin and heart related problems were conducted on middle-aged subjects only.

The new study, conducted by Dr. Mark R. Nelson and his team from the University of Australia in Hobart Australia, showed a significant risk of bleeding in the gastric and brain regions among the elderly.

Of the 20,000 men and women ages 70 to 74, the study found that low-dose aspirin therapy would prevent a total of 710 heart attacks and 54 strokes.

These encouraging numbers were offset, however, by 1071 cases of gastric bleeding and 130 cases of bleeding in the brain.

"On balance, there was no indication of a net benefit or harm in terms of deaths, years of life saved, or years of healthy life saved," the researchers report.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 20 May, 2005 07:47 pm
Thanks, Edgar. How is your friend by now?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:18 pm
My friend is doing very well. This morning I put a defrost timer on her refrigerator and she wanted to reciprocate by buying dinner for my wife and I. I declined as gracefully as I could.
She has to be careful getting around her apartment, but she does everything she sets her mind on thus far.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:25 pm
Edgar, if you put a timer on my fridge you won't have to have dinner with me. What do you say?
By the way, instead of therapeudic aspirin I thin my blood the fun way, with about three servings of Alaskan wild salmon, garlic and two capsules a day of fish oil (1000 mgs of Omega 3 fatty acids).
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:32 pm
Quote:
Of the 20,000 men and women ages 70 to 74, the study found that low-dose aspirin therapy would prevent a total of 710 heart attacks and 54 strokes.

These encouraging numbers were offset, however, by 1071 cases of gastric bleeding and 130 cases of bleeding in the brain.

Stupid question , but did Dr Nelson ever look into whethere these were the same people , cuz how do you compare except to a control group. And were the control group and med groups a true blind or did they double up thenon medded patients?
Ive seen studies where that happened.
Does aspirin and rat poison act differently ? can a prophylaxis dose of coumadin be used for older people?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:48 pm
I haven't seen the original article, so can't answer you, farmerman.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:51 pm
jl
I take magnesium, garlic, and vitamin E, plus also flax oil and a number of dietary staples, plus keep on the lookout for new things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:53 pm
Seems to have been a math model, farmer -
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=8559514

Wild salmon, garlic, and a tad of fish oil seem good to me...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:54 pm
Sounds good to me. Don't forget olive oil and salmon. Very Happy
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:56 pm
I like a good bunch of fidel heads to straighten out my gastro difficulties.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 20 May, 2005 08:57 pm
Oh, my last post was written before I saw Osso's. Osso, and red wine. Life is not only good (for the fortunate); it's also delicious. Right?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:00 pm
garlic slices on a triscuit with tabasco for a zing.
I drink welch's grape juice (the white kind with no sugar).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:00 pm
AK, what are "fidel heads"?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:03 pm
Farmer, you're so mysteriously exotic.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:03 pm
they are very young ferns, they are out now in montreal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:04 pm
That's even more exotic.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:07 pm
When you eat produce locally you get this special somthing from the soil that aids in living in your area .Thats all I heard.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:09 pm
You must eat fidel heads on a Castro Convertible
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:16 pm
White grape juice... hmmm. My mother used to make a kind of pop out of grape juice and ginger ale...
Thinking about it now, I would rather separate the two..

Um, one of the exotic things in Diane and Dys' freezer was a plastic bag of frozen green grapes. I am not sure if they were for Bird Fred or D & D. I tried one... delicious! I am going to have to try that at home one of these days.
0 Replies