Aspirin a Day Can Kill

Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:08 pm
Last week a very dear friend of mine was taken by ambulence to a hospital. She had suffered during one day with diahrea and vomiting. After friends had gotten her cleaned and comfortable, she told me she felt much better. But, she remained very weak. Some thought she was having a second stroke. With some people it may be hard to tell, particularly when the person is desperately seeking to avoid being taken to a hospital. At age 90, she confided to one friend, "I am afraid I will not come back." Turns out she had been taking an aspirin a day. If I have the facts correct, she had been advised to take aspirin. But, the aspirin had caused internal bleeding and my friend had lost half of her blood. A doctor said that a half aspirin would have been fine. Apparently, she had misunderstood the recommended dosage. Tonight she is in her room with a bleeding ulcer the doctors have not been able to stop. If anybody is considering taking aspirin this way I hope they will consult a doctor first.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 50,066 • Replies: 241
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:15 pm
Yes, I remember that one lasts at least two days..re blood clotting effects. Or I think I remember that. Oh dear, your poor friend.
0 Replies

Montana

Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:41 pm
That is so sad Edgar. I've heard people say that taking an aspirin a day was good, but I knew that it makes the stomache bleed, so there's nothing good about that. My heart goes out to your friend.
0 Replies

Piffka

Wed 23 Jul, 2003 11:26 pm
Good point! I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Edgar, and I hope that she recovers. It's hard when you've reached such a venerable age to get over something so severe as that.

My sister, in her 50's, had been taking an aspirin a day for a few years... not one of the baby aspirins, despite what her doctor said, but a 350 mg. because she had a bunch and wanted to "get rid of them." Well, last month she had a bloody nose that would not stop. It started at 10pm and finally around 1:30 her husband woke up to find her bleeding terribly. I think that along with a loss of blood, she'd lost some of her reason because she obviously should have asked for help hours earlier. Anyway, he called a nurse friend who said that they really should call an ambulance, which they did. My sis was in the emergency room for the rest of the night. It took them hours to make her stop bleeding. After she was released and on the way home she started choking and passed out, not breathing. Her husband had to give her mouth-to-mouth resucitation... he's now a hero in the family. Amazing to think of, but aspirin can be dangerous.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Jul, 2003 11:32 pm
Yikes!
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 03:48 am
Oh my gosh!!! Is she ok now?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 04:47 am
I bet misuse of aspirin has caused many many not that widely known cases of death or near death experiences.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:43 am
edgarblythe- So sorry about your friend. A whole aspirin, has 325 mg. The kind of aspirin that is reccommended to prevent clots is 81mg.The bottle will say something like "For aspirin regimen users", or something to that effect. So your friend was taking 4X the advised amount!
0 Replies

Selma Rabinowitz

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 06:16 am
Re: Aspirin a Day Can Kill
edgarblythe wrote:
Last week a very dear friend of mine was taken by ambulence to a hospital. She had suffered during one day with diahrea and vomiting. After friends had gotten her cleaned and comfortable, she told me she felt much better. But, she remained very weak. Some thought she was having a second stroke. With some people it may be hard to tell, particularly when the person is desperately seeking to avoid being taken to a hospital. At age 90, she confided to one friend, "I am afraid I will not come back." Turns out she had been taking an aspirin a day. If I have the facts correct, she had been advised to take aspirin. But, the aspirin had caused internal bleeding and my friend had lost half of her blood. A doctor said that a half aspirin would have been fine. Apparently, she had misunderstood the recommended dosage. Tonight she is in her room with a bleeding ulcer the doctors have not been able to stop. If anybody is considering taking aspirin this way I hope they will consult a doctor first.

Patients are suggested to take one 81 mg tab/day. Many patients get confused about dosage and strength and take instead, one 325 mg tab/day or even more. Result= severe inhibition of clotting mechanism.

The 81 mg tab is referred to as a "baby aspirin".
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 07:21 am
Rather upsetting this but I still am a no. one aspirin fan.
0 Replies

Piffka

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:22 am
Algis - So is Mr. P -- he pooh-poohs my taking Advil, which I think works well. Luckily I don't need to use it very often. I think that aspirin is good medicine, but strong. I've heard that the 81 mg. dose should only be taken every other day and I'm thinking of switching to that regimen. Does anybody know if that's as effective?

Montana -- Thanks for asking. I think my sister is fine, but she was shaken by the experience, as you can imagine, and it took her a week to get over the fatigue caused by loss of blood and staying up all night.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:53 am
Speaking of Mr. P, Pifka, why hasn't the Pkflyer put in an appearance?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:59 am
I take an 81mg aspirin every day. I had a TIA -- and the dosage was prescribed for me.

I feel very safe with the regimen.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:40 am
I've been taking the 81mg aspirin every day for many, many, years, and I'm gonna continue it until my doc says otherwise. More older people need to be made aware of the difference between regular aspirin and children's aspirin. Older folks get confused very easily, so they need constant reminders. I buy my 81mg aspirin at Costco. It's much cheaper to buy bulk. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:01 am
I have no axe to grind with those who are knowledgeable and follow a doctor's orders about it. My purpose is to alert those who complacently think they can start taking aspirin simply because they have heard about it without informing themselves first. It is also wise to question elderly friends and relatives about this so we can help them to be safe if they do take aspirin.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:17 am
Good move on your part, Edgar. I certainly did not mean to question that. And I'm sure neither did ci.

Us old folks sometimes do dumb things.

I'm glad there are people around to remind us of possibly unintended consequences.
0 Replies

Piffka

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
Thanks for asking, Roger. I've encouraged pfkflyer several times. Some day, some day, he says.
0 Replies

Selma Rabinowitz

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:45 pm
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
Rather upsetting this but I still am a no. one aspirin fan.

Too toxic for me. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:52 pm
I prefer heroin myself, but each to their own... Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 24 Jul, 2003 01:55 pm
I love the taste of those baby chewable aspirin and I can't see how taking one a day would do any harm. I think this thread is important to let people know the huge difference between a regular aspirin and a baby aspirin, so they can keep themselves safe and I also agree that everyone should consult with their doctors before taking any kinds of meds.
0 Replies