Aspirin a Day Can Kill

ossobuco

Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:51 pm
Yikes.

I happen to be free of that, and my RP hasn't progressed in about twenty years, and my glauc is borderline, and cataracts do get removed....

and thus I am fine myself now, and regard a lot as precious.

I am used to these concerns, but I worry more for others who ...haven't thought of themselves as visually challenged (which is ..most people)

well, need more info on aspirin...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:42 pm
truth
I think it is important not to take TOO MUCH aspirin. 81mgs is prescribed to keep one's blood thin enough to prevent heart complications. I should think--but I do not know--that half a 81mg. pill would do SOME good. What about people who do not have any signs of coronary problem but do show elevated levels of CRP (C-reactive protein) which is an indication of chronic inflamation, like gum disease or arthritic inflamation--my case is arthritic inflamation of a shoulder with rotator cuff tearing--and one sign of a predispostion to heart problems. I have been told to take (in addition to folic acid) Ibuprofen, but most drugs like that and NSAIDS irritate the stomach, probably the cause of a past ulcer. Following St. Francis the sissy, I sometimes call my body "brother ass."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:33 pm
jl:
David Williams on aspirin.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:11 pm
truth
Edgar, this Dr. Williams does not ring true to me. While I am for much of alternative medicine, thereare "practicioners who proscribe all kinds of proven remedies and prophylactics, like floride, by-pass surgery (under almost all circumstances), etc. At the same time, I'm not a sucker for all "scientific" medical recommendations, e.g., I distrust my orthopedist who I suspect is trying to rush me onto the surgical table (probably for his fee) without having done sufficient diagnostic work. And I have very little, if any, confidence in the American Cancer Society. There is bad faith and there are scam artists on both sides.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:21 pm
Williams is the man who went to Cuba and informed the world about the Cubans' discovery of the benefits of shark cartilage in cancer treatment. He first pointed me to a product called Curaderm (not one of his products) which I use to great benefit on my skin cancer. He goes all over the world investigating new discoveries to report on in his magazine. He wants to make money too, but, don't we all?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:22 pm
Off the cuff here, I remember reading that one aspirin has effects for a couple of days. Low but constant level seems to me to be a consideration. Not that I know, please, please do not act on my musing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:28 pm
I haven't looked at the site on Williams yet, Edgar, but hurl out caution to you. I have no money investment but I ascribe to the scientific methodology, however debased it sometimes is. Watch your back on this stuff. Skin cancer is one of the most curable cancers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:11 am
Williams is a real Doctor who began checking out alternative cures. He travels the globe and does not endorse something he has not seen the proof of. He also tells one to have a relationship with a medically recognized doctor. I have a reason for using the Curaderm I will not divulge.
0 Replies

Clary

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:36 am
Aspirin is refined from willow bark, and I wonder if a natural product containing the small traces of salicylic acid needed to help prevent strokes exists, rather than the pharmaceutical industries' version. Any naturopaths out there?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 01:06 pm
truth
Wiilliams rang my danger bell when he tells of an important way to avoid something (I forgot what) and then informs the reader that he can find out what avoidance device is from his "report." Too blatantly (commercially) manipulative for me. It's what they call "hooks" in Spanish (ganchos).
I'm confident that Williams will do good for his patients whenever he can. But I'm afraid that the oath, Do No Harm, may not be taken seriously enough. His assurance that he has personally seen positive results from the use of such and such a medication (folk or scientific) is also not reassuring: clinical evidence is not very reliable (as I'm sure he knows), compared to double blind tests. I don't want to be to puristic here. If a remedy is very unlikely to do no harm, try it. And if conventional medicine gives up on a patient, he SHOULD (in my opinion) look for a good quack. Aldous Huxley's wife, Maria, used to remind him when he went away for long periods to "be sure to find a good quack." They were more open minded than I. But basically I agree with Osso in this matter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:58 pm
Science has allowed itself to become perverted by the search for the almighty dollar. That is precisely why men like David Williams are in demand. If you think about it, most drugs being offered today are not intended to cure anything, but instead address symptoms. They foist processed food on us, such as olean, and never admit they are doing us harm until the general public becomes aware enough to call them on it. Suddenly we have a move to bar transfatty acids, many decades after people like Johanna Buddwig called them on it (in 1952). Until recently scientists tried all they knew to discredit her, even got her tried in court, but she did not give in. I don't intend to tell anybody what they "must" believe, but, I have followed Williams for about ten years. My link taps into one of his advertisements for his own line of products, which is a poor way to introduce someone like him. Anyhow, do as you wish. But, remember; David Williams was not the only link about aspirin I have provided. I only used him yesterday because he is much more blunt than some other persons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:12 pm
Also, Williams was telling alternative medicine users not to take DHEA at a time when it was all the rage. - Except under a doctor's control.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
truth
Edgar, I hope you know that I was just making generalizations about the dangers of the perversions of both traditional and alternative medicine. I have no real knowledge of David Williams. For all I know he may be the moral equivalent of an Albert Schweitzer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
Sure, jl. I don't take it in a personal way. You are too fine a gentleman for me to want to argue with.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:10 pm
truth
Edgar, exactly my sentiments regarding you. Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:13 pm
Science is often coopted but at it's best it is run, as jl says, double blind. I worked in research labs for years, our only funding being from NIH back then, but we had plenty of pressure to produce results. Still, when tests went awry, we looked for why, and one of those times discovered that the reason all that effort didn't work was very interesting, which led to some advances. We were very honest, and so was every body else in that department. Lots of criticism, talk back and forth on possible thinking flaws. Great environment, looking back. Just because present day funding is skewing the work's subject matter doesn't mean all science is coopted. And the methodology is still smart to use..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:50 pm
I don't say all scientists are corrupt; just the ones working for the FDA and the big drug corporations.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:03 pm
truth
I saw that documentary expose on the FDA a few weeks ago. One is told that the rest of the world envies the United States because of its regulatory bodies. If you have ever lived in most Latin or Asian countries where patronage and piracy are the rule of the day, you'd understand their envy. Now we see that the bodies that are supposed to regulate the stock market, coporate accounting, SNL's, and now medical institutions and Pentagon spending, are corrupt or at least irresposible, it's most discouraging.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:18 pm
I'm trying to keep what is happening in Europe from happening here. In parts of Europe you get a Dr prescription to buy vitamins. If you are a believer in high dosages of vitamin C the doctor must concur before you get the prescription.
0 Replies

xifar

Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:21 pm
Well, it has been proven that taking a baby aspirin every day can reduce blood pressure, prevent strokes, and decrease the chance of prostate cancer. But it has also been proven that people can go through aspirin withdrawal. Your body becomes dependant on the stuff, and when you stop taking it, your body will stop working at its previous functionality. Thus giving the appearance that aspirin is a killer.
0 Replies