Plans for the Second San Francisco Gathering

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:16 pm
Wandel, I feel pretty lucky, because the doctors at Kaiser have the experience and good medical education to make me feel at ease. Above all that, my sister was an oncology nurse for over 25 years, and my nephew is a cancer doctor. Also, my older brother had colon cancer, and he's recovered very well.

Above all that, I really don't worry about my health, because I've done everything I can to maintain it the best way I know how.

At 72 (next month), I feel pretty good about almost everything about my life. I feel lucky to be where I am in this stage of my life.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:11 pm
Best wishes, CI. Our thoughts are with you. Obviously, I withdraw my motion for a SF thing in late August. Let's shoot for something later in 2007 or 2008. But the sooner we can nail down a time-frame, the better.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:16 pm
Thank you, rjb. Since my time is "pretty" flexible - after August, we'll leave the dates open to you folks who must travel some distance to get here. Since Cyclo and georgeob will also be available - with most dates, it's not necessary to "cancel" plans on my behalf. San Francisco and its environs is a place that has enough good stuff to keep most people busy for more than a few days.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 05:59 pm
C.I., We have no worries about you. You are the type of person who always has an optimistic attitude and can have fun even when a mistake has been made, such as when you missed the train to Amsterdam and instead found yourself on the train to Brussels. Later, all you talked about was the fun you had on the side trip.

You can do it buddy!!

Dys and Diane
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:05 pm
Cicerone is both resilient and cranky - all part of a unique personality. I'll bet none of this softens his treatment of those who disagree with him ! Hang in there pal.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:10 pm
Georgeob, you said it perfectly.

He will always remain Tak and that's a very good thing.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:15 pm
Well Diane, I suspect you have a good deal of insight into such characters. Say hello to Dys for me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:22 pm
I'm thinking some people know me "too" well. Wink
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:31 pm
Georgeob, your insight is phenomenal. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 03:26 pm
Look at these "great" car rental rates for San Francisco from 8/22 to 8/27:

http://www.hotwire.com/car/results.jsp?searchId=4070633195
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:12 pm
I'm feeling pretty chipper right now; just received a response from my oncologist on treatment types and recovery. She tells me there are two types she offers, and told me some of her patients continue to play 9-18 holes of golf during treatment, and back to "normal" in about one month.

HURRAY!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:18 pm
So, CI, is the Tunisia trip still on for you? What are the dates for that?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:28 pm
Yes, the Tunisia trip is still on for October 5 thru 18.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:49 pm
Good news, CI. You are also brave to see a woman. I once heard of an aquaintance mention seeing a woman doctor for the first time. He could see her notes and where it mentioned his genitalia, her comment was "Unremarkable." I guess that is the normal notation, but it was different for him, coming from a woman.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:02 pm
Okay, back to the date for this possible SF thing. If it is going to be in 2008, we have time. If it is going to be in 2007, we need to nail down dates. I reckon the 1st question is 2008 or 2007?

I proposed, as a trial balloon, 8/22-8/27. That was intended as being a time, spanning a Tuesday-Saturday, that might work for locals as well as for folks from nearby areas, covering weeknights as well as a weekend. The response was pretty underwhelming.

Here is my newest proposal:
8/22-8/27?
9/19 (I can't find a calandar but it would span that time frame)?
or
10/24?
If none of those draws a positive response, I reckon we should look towards 2008.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:02 pm
Diane, The very best physician I've ever had in my 71 years of life is my current doctor. She's from India, and trained at Stanford. My dentist is a woman with a Hispanic surname. My oncologist is a Chinese woman. They are some of the best I've had in my life. I'm just a lucky guy.

My libido has been waning for a few years now. he he he... Maybe I can father a child when I'm 90.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:06 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
If it is going to be in 2007, we need to nail down dates.
Cruelty to dates!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:08 pm
rjb, Thanks for taking the lead on date proposals. As you know, I'm pretty flexible - with the exception of June thru early August.

We need to see some committments on dates, because booking air and hotels will get more expensive as we get closer to the date of the meet.

I can also make every effort to take some of you on day excursions outside the city.

Let's get moving!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:06 am
Anyone planning on booking for September? If so, please post your dates.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:38 pm
So far, no August or September? What happened? I figured at least six or seven (minimum) people would be coming.
0 Replies