Plans for the Second San Francisco Gathering

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:45 pm
How does somewhere between Wednesday, August 22nd and Tuesday, August 28th work. Before Labor Day weekend.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:49 pm
But George, I'm planning to shut up this time, or at best pipe up less'n'usual. First of all, I'm sure I won't be there this August or Sept..., not that that usually stops me with the posting.

Some research (hah, lots) was done on the interminable 2 threads on the last meeting, as you know. Part of that was that we wanted quiet restaurants that had good food that weren't astronomic in pricing, not as easy as it might seem, over three or four days. A couple of the best were places we happened by when walking as a group (the old Sinbad's for breakfast!), both near empty - the places became 'ours', somewhat hilariously; besides those, there were at least two good ones for dinner from all that %$## research.

I'm not setting a good example for myself.

Let Busybody add that I can see people meeting there more than once, soon and later.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:02 pm
rjb, August 22nd to the 28th will be fine for several of us, because we live close enough to SF, and we'll probably "attend" most of them. Since the idea of these gatherings are to meet other a2kers, it would be good if several decided to come at the same time.

My time is more flexible, and I prefer "smaller" groups over big ones, because I can then take people (up to 3 passengers) on short excursions out of the city.

Maybe, georgeob can volunteer to do some of the hosting too! [size=7]*Please[/size]?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:28 pm
I proposed that time frame as a "window of opportunity." Sometime during that time-frame, folks might be available for breakfast, lunch, dinner, for a drink, to go touring or whatever.
The idea of one grand get together in a certain place at a certain time is tough to manage, given our schedules. This notion of a time frame narrows it down a bit but doesn't specify a certain day at a certain hour.
I am certainly not trying to be a control freak but it would be great if we could focus in on a few days.
The dates I picked were intended as an example.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:23 pm
July is already booked for me, but otherwise I am mostly flexible.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:47 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
........I am mostly flexible.
So I've heard Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:59 pm
I most certainly can't come so soon to the USA again Crying or Very sad
(... and in September/October I'll meet Diane/dys in Barcelona).
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:07 pm
Chumly wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
........I am mostly flexible.
So I've heard Laughing

Fugging Canucks.

cicerone imposter wrote:

Maybe, georgeob can volunteer to do some of the hosting too! *Please?

I have a gas guzzling. CO2-spewing SUV that can hold seven comfortably and, schedule permitting, can do a tour or something like that. I'm also a member of a club in the city that has a nice restaurant - food very good but not great, location & view unique - that might be a good way to end the event.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:12 pm
"Nice location and unique view" sold me! Thanks for the offer; I'm sure we'll take you up on it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:15 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I most certainly can't come so soon to the USA again Crying or Very sad
(... and in September/October I'll meet Diane/dys in Barcelona).

Perhaps we could make the event later. When would suit you?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:23 pm
Well, ask me later ..... after I've got my VISA bill Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 05:21 am
realjohnboy wrote:
How does somewhere between Wednesday, August 22nd and Tuesday, August 28th work. Before Labor Day weekend.

That works pretty ideally for me. (As things stand right now and barring unforseen circumstances and if the cricks don't rise and...) I have a couple of weeks free time from Aug. 17 to Labor Day weekend.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 08:02 am
JPB wrote:
McT and Mrs McT are doing a coast-to-coast drive in the fall. Do you have dates, McT?

Did this question get answered?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 08:18 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:

That works pretty ideally for me. (As things stand right now and barring unforseen circumstances and if the cricks don't rise and...) I have a couple of weeks free time from Aug. 17 to Labor Day weekend.

That time frame works for me as well (around the weekend of 8/25). I'm also open around 9/9, 9/16, or 9/30. I probably couldn't make it between 8/29 - 9/3 (Labor Day weekend).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 10:30 am
If those August dates are doable for some of you, it might be a good idea to a) tie down those dates, and b) start looking for flight and hotel combo rates before price increases. That's only two months away, but you may still find better deals over waiting to the last minute.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 10:50 am
The following link provides a taste of what I did during my eight days during the Chicago gathering. For those of you curious about how I spent my time, go HERE.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:12 am
I would like to see this thread come alive again. The weekend posts have been dismal. LOL
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:51 pm
Sorry, but I can't make it in August or September. We've already made plans in early August, and school starts on Aug. 20. (I'm teaching as well as having a son in school, so I have to be there on the 16th.) Next summer is a real possibility, though.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:27 pm
Well Seaglass thinks that the last two weeks of August are just great for a trip to San Francisco. Just name the day..

Hopefully I will be having some southwestern artwork auctioned off at Bonhams Butterfields in San Francisco in August.

love San Francisco.

Sglass
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:44 pm
Okay, so I chatted with C.I. today. Conclusion #1: No time is convenient to everyone. Conclusion #2: You can't change Conclusion #1.
C.I. decided to play the role of the "good cop."--Yall come. I am the "bad cop." --When?

Hence, I am making a motion that this event be held between Thursday, August 23rd and Tuesday, August 27th.
Would you be able to be in SF then? Yea or nay?
If the motion fails, a later date in 2007 or 2008 could be selected.
0 Replies