Plans for the Second San Francisco Gathering

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 04:56 pm
That's rule #2; everybody must talk to everybody else. You are not required to kiss and make up. he he he...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:22 pm
I'm overdue for a trip to SF. My favorite relative (an aunt) lives in San Mateo and wants me to come. SF is at the top of my list of US cities I want to see but never have.

This fall is probably not doable for me, though. I'd prefer next year.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:28 pm
I hope everybody is posting their preference in the poll.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:31 pm
I am not sure about the time frame yet, I can't plan that far ahead, but
SF is only an hour by plane, so I always can make it for a few hours.

I put summer 2008 down, as I am most flexible then.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:45 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I hope everybody is posting their preference in the poll.

Just did!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:54 pm
How does accommodation usually work?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:10 am
Oh my gosh, I don't know if Dys and I could do it in September, but we will try. Late Sept. would not be possible as my son and his girlfriend will be here then, otherwise, we'll do our best.

Next year would work as well.

I know Dys would love to meet GeorgeOb. They could discuss the Jesuits.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:17 am
People can find accommodations on the Web through Travelocity, Hotel.com, Orbitz, or San Francisco Hotels. I have also booked a room with Priceline, and was satisfied with the price I got. If you use Priceline, always bid very low - about 60% of the going price you find elsewhere. Also make sure that if you have to prepay, get the policy on cancellations; some don't allow it, and some charge a full days fee for cancelling. The prices can vary from site to site, so it's wise to do some research before booking. I usually find that the earlier you book, the cheaper the price. Just make sure that the price quoted includes the occupancy tax which runs about 17% in San Francisco. At the last San Francisco meet, some people stayed at the same hotel close to Union Square. I'm sure people will be inquiring about this very topic once this thread starts tieing down the dates of the meet. If you need to find a roommate to share expenses, you can try to recruit somebody that's also planning to attend. Keep bookmarking this thread to keep up with the latest news.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:18 am
I liked where I stayed at the last SF meet - I got a good deal on a combo flight hotel plan. The hotel was Hotel Adagio on Geary.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:04 am
Mine is the vote for Spring, 2008. bm.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:46 am
ossobuco wrote:
I liked where I stayed at the last SF meet - I got a good deal on a combo flight hotel plan. The hotel was Hotel Adagio on Geary.
Is the Hotel Adagio really quiet at night? The reason I ask is I'm a very light sleeper.
cicerone imposter wrote:
People can find accommodations on the Web through Travelocity, Hotel.com, Orbitz, or San Francisco Hotels.
At home there is never any noise or traffic because we live in a small village, at the end of dead end road on ½ acre by the ocean and lakes and mountains. Most of the traveling I've done has been on my motorcycle or bicycle going to places with a similar green-peacefulness to home, like the Gulf Islands or the Oregon Coast.

That does not mean I'm not interested in going to SF (been through it a few times on my motorcycle) but I would be much happier sleeping out of the city and away from the traffic / pollution / noise / crowds / crime. My wife OTOH is a much more resilient traveler.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:09 am
ci, I didn't vote because I'm pretty flexible as long as it isn't in the March-May time frame. Fall of this year or next year is equally doable with the same conflict around the third week of September in both years. Fall is the best time to visit SF (IMO) because of the weather, but those with kids in school have more flexibility during the summer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:39 am
Chumley, my room was quiet; it was on an upper floor, can't remember which, say 6 or 7, corner windows facing the street. There was a popular rather nice restaurant/bar downstairs, which I presume I wouldn't want to be in earshot of. At the time, they had a computer room downstairs, which was cool for me. Geary is a problematic street, I guess, over its expanse, but the hotel is close to Union Square. I had no qualms. Most others who stayed at hotels stayed at the (Kings' Inn or some name like that), about a helf a block away).

Not to take the thread in the hotel direction so soon. The city has some delightful hotels - that's probably a secondary detailed discussion.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:37 pm
That is true, osso. I got back from the Boston thingee last night, and the notion of another one in a mere three months was a bit overwhelming. But I did play around with air fare and hotel rates for early September, and it looks good. But, with all due respect, as the clock ticks, the costs tend to go up. Nailing down the dates is critical, in my mind.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:43 pm
Okay, people, let's get moving; as rjb said in the previous post, the longer we wait, the more expensive everything will get. This is already June and September (if that's what we settle on) is coming upon us real fast. Plans ans schedules must be made by many people, and in their behalf and interest, let's start getting some dates. PLEASE!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:50 pm
I'm hoping to be in SF sometime during the second half of August anyway. Anything after Labor Day is very problematic for me. BM.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:05 pm
You know me when travel is the topic, I'll hog a thread. Was really just instructing myself to not go on and on re hotels right now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:07 pm
Chumly, I did a quick search on Orbitz for the combination flight from Vancouver BC to SFO, and 3-nites hotel. With United it's $797 at the Cathedral Hill Hotel, and $1,261 at the Grand Hyatt. This was for Sept 7 to 10 - used only as an example.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:35 pm
I WILL speak to McTag - if he promises not to be too dour. (There are the cheerful, ironic, ebullent Celts - and there are the dour, melancholy ones. The former are mostly to be found among the Irish, the latter are called Scots.)

I WILL be unfailingly nice and polite to Francis - even though he never has a kind word for me.

I WILL even try to assist Osso in organizing things - even though, after years in structured organizations, I have a somewhat neurotic adversion to schedules, etc.

I WILL look forward to exchanging views of the Jesuits with Dys - even if he is utterly perverse and cranky as usual. (Who knows, perhaps Diane's presence has a calming effect on him.)

For Chumley - if you are looking for a bucolic, rural, BC like atmosphere, you may have to stay home. The closest place for such things is likely in Marin County, across the Golden Gate, probably in Mill Valley. Transportation to the city from there can be a hassle, but there is good, well used bus service. The time/cost tradeoffs here can make things more or less equal. Cicerone and I may be able to suggest a relatively quiet place in the City after a little search. Osso, who researches & organizes everything, may already know one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:38 pm
Handlery Union Square Hotel

Union Square District
San Francisco, CA

Travelocity Rating
29 Reviews
Located steps from Union Square and the Powell Street cable car line. The Handlery is only blocks away from world class boutique shopping, the new Westfield San Francisco Centre, the theater district, Chinatown and Fishermans Wharf.
View More Hotel Info. | Amenities | All room options

Package Includes:3 Night Stay in Standard Room- One double bed, Additional Packaged Savings
1 round-trip ticket

The total cost for this flight+hotel package is about $850.
0 Replies