Managing stress

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 08:49 am
I think after i told the boss where we stand exactly, i got rid of a lot of the burden. it's been a lot better since then. Today, I'm not working. No way, Jose. I'm gonna go biking, and then in the evening we're going to see the crazy theatre show The Milkman Always Comes Twice.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 08:51 am
That milkman has some issues.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:45 am
http://www.golddustorphans.com/milkman/poster.jpg

He sure will have when I'm done with him. Vrrrraaau. (yes, he's straight. The only one in the company.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:51 am
There's some great stress management right there!
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:59 pm
Re: Managing stress
dagmaraka wrote:
A man in a dark uniform is sharpening a blade on a stone: "swoosh, swoosh, swoosh, swoosh..."

He launches to cut my throat...

That's when I wake up. It was a bloody bird outside my window, who has made it into my dream as a Khmer Rouge type figure. I wake up feeling nauseous with a severe stomach pain. Tired. But can't sleep anymore either. I've had diarrhea for the last ten days or more.

I usually deal well with stress. It motivates me, makes me productive. This time it's not so good. It might be the added responsibility - it used to be just a deadline for my own stuff that was on the line - but now it's three workshops and one week of fundraising events that I am handling. All coming up within the next 5 weeks. All of my colleagues are somewhere in the world - india, cambodia, california... so I'm here alone before I leave for Europe for the first two workshops and all is falling on my head.

But nevermind that. (Nevermind also the fact that it's corporate stress for nonprofit money). I love my work. I am taking it too personally, too seriously, too everything. I need some strategy of how to deal better with the overwhelming pressure.

I'm going for a run along the river. I also intend to organize my days better (I go to sleep way too late and then am constantly tired). I do know relaxation techniques (the only way how I can even fall asleep these days). But I don't know how to lessen the effects during the day, the overall impact of the pressure.

Any tested strategies up your sleeve? Any Jedi mind tricks? Advice? I'll take anything.

Just do what the rest of this world does.

Get a nice SSRI... Zoloft, Paxil, etc.

And bug your doctor for LOTS and LOTS of benzos. Xanax is the town favorite here. Most people take 90 of them a month.

And don't question it... just take them.

It's the only way you'll find peace.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:02 pm
??
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:
??

My point was, most of the people who wander into a primary care doctor's office want nothing more than drugs to sedate themselves through life.

And somehow I tripped the autospam filter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:18 pm
Sorry to be enigmatic, stlstrike, it's my lazy way.

Dag's not a pill solution person.

I'm not against them, entirely, but careful, very careful.
Also am not a professional in all of that.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:20 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Sorry to be enigmatic, stlstrike, it's my lazy way.

Dag's not a pill solution person.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that he is.

I guess I was just venting a little of my frustration as one on the receiving end of a lot of peoples' requests for the happy pills.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:49 am
Stress doesn't bother me. I'm an asymptomatic carrier.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 09:12 am
Hey cowdoc. It usually doesn't bother me either. I think it was the burden of feeling personally responsible for things i couldn't really influence that did the number. it's better now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:19 am
Yeah, that's a yucky, stressful place to be in. Responsibility without power.

Glad things are better now!
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:12 pm
Well STL just do as 95% of pill poppers do:

1) Wake up one morning feeling less than absolutely perfect.
2) Look up "tired" or "achey" in a medical book that you don't understand.
3) Decide that your symptom is due to a larger condition that you can't pronounce such as endocarditis or hypothyroidism.
4) Try pronouncing said condition in the mirror only to give up and go with something you've seen on TV such as RLS or fibromyalgia.
5) Bug the living *&^% out of your doc till he gives in and either prescribes a benzo you dont need or you find a doc that will.
6) Live out rest of life in a permanant state of walking comatose and defend said drug addiction with screaming and crying.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:18 pm
BDoug, please start a thread on it. It sure won't hurt to have one thread with tirades against pills popping. But what on earth does it have to do with anything i said?

i don't take pills, never did, never will. please stick to the topic.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:08 pm
LOL..sorry Dag I wasnt responding to your post but instead STL's concerning prescribing benzos.

If you want to reduce your stress perhaps you're going the opposite direction. Seems by your post you're concentrating on relaxing techniques...perhaps try some "stress release" techniques. The running you mentioned should help, but have you tried martial arts (kickboxing) or boxing? Might help release tension or frustration.

On a less "violent" note, perhaps lift weights or resistance training. Anything that helps you keep your heart rate and endorphins up.

As far as diet, avoid eating a couple hours before bed as anything that might upset your stomach has an ability to affect your dreams and your nights sleep.

Make sure you dont suffer from sleep apnea. (Allergies, sleep position, etc can all affect this)

There are a number of ways to reduce stress. A good nights sleep is one of the best, but moderating your workload is probably your most important.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:09 pm
yep. i'm a boxer. classical, straight up boxing.

And I run, and bike everywhere and lift weights. (i also like to jump around to Prince but that's a secret - though not to my landlord who lives underneath)

i have allergies, but it's getting better. Whatever was it that was blooming last two weeks or so is finished.

I'm really not that stressed anymore. Still have a tremendous workload, but it's not that overwhelming since my last chat with the boss.

I hereby officially declare that particular crisis as done. i'm sure there will be other crises in the future and that there will be other folks going through the same. This here is a place to share and vent,
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:02 pm
The pines! Ugh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:09 pm
People back in north north California were allergic to... wait for it... redwoods. I was pretty allergic there, back in mold city, probably not to redwoods. Was allergic here in NM both when visiting in the spring and the first year. So far so good, this year. Breathe in, breathe out.

Dag, I know you're going abroad soon, so if we don't post together in the time before your flight(s), I wish you a great trip.

I'm probably early on that, just wanted it in writing.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:10 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
BDoug, please start a thread on it. It sure won't hurt to have one thread with tirades against pills popping. But what on earth does it have to do with anything i said?

i don't take pills, never did, never will. please stick to the topic.

I do not believe it's meant to be a slam against you, dag. It's just that the vast majority of the American populace that *I* run across see pills as the solution to stress.

I applaud you for your efforts.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:43 am
stress sucks. Im starting to shake and tremble lately. Its happening more often than usual. Even things like ringing phones make me almost jump out of my chair! i think its high time for a long long massage.
0 Replies