Insulting people in lieu of reason/logic is the liberal way.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:16 am
Quote:
I hear "conservatives love war and death" and "conservatives hate people" all the time with no qualifications whatsoever. Do I take these personally? No, I think such comments to be completely stupid, inane, uncreative, and ignorant but not related to me personally in any way.

Quote:
Insult in lieu of reason, logic, and/or verifiable facts is the liberal way, not the conservative or independent way.

The Irony?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I think such comments to be completely stupid, inane, uncreative, and ignorant.

I agree and I think your comment falls into the same category.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:22 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That's a fair comment. Saying that my comment is stupid, inane, uncreative, and ignorant is quite different from saying that Foxfyre is stupid, inane, uncreative, and ignorant (or pick an adjective of choice.) But in order to have a discussion, you need to say WHY my comment is so completely off base. I have been providing illustrations of why I think it is correct. Why do you think it is not?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:32 am
Foxfyre wrote:

But a reaction does not have to be ad hominem or otherwise a personally directed insult.

So you say, but you have accused dlowan and myself of personally attacking you. Please point to where either of us did so. Your definition of "personal attack" is so vague that it means one thing when directed at you and something else when directed at "liberals."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:35 am
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

But a reaction does not have to be ad hominem or otherwise a personally directed insult.

So you say, but you have accused dlowan and myself of personally attacking you. Please point to where either of us did so. Your definition of "personal attack" is so vague that it means one thing when directed at you and something else when directed at "liberals."

You are exactly correct. This is a long-standing habit of Foxfyre's; taking everything personally, transposing insults and complaints about her argument onto herself (as if they were personal), and continually accusing opponents of doing the exact same behavior she does, while never quite grasping the hypocrisy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:42 am
Wow, a whole thread about me! You could at least drop me a PM or something.

BTW, I didn't insult Dooks. I was just tired of her puerile crap and told her to go chase baseballs. 'nuff said.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:43 am
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That's a fair comment. Saying that my comment is stupid, inane, uncreative, and ignorant is quite different from saying that Foxfyre is stupid, inane, uncreative, and ignorant (or pick an adjective of choice.) But in order to have a discussion, you need to say WHY my comment is so completely off base. I have been providing illustrations of why I think it is correct. Why do you think it is not?

And yet when I said your comment was "silly" you accused my post of being an example of insult in lieu of facts or reason. Now you claim that simply saying a comment is silly isn't an insult.

You have no consistency in how you apply this so called standard. As you attempt to defend your statement you demonstrate there is no logic to it. You have no standard that you are willing or even attempt to apply. I have asked you a couple of times to show where my post was insulting to you yet you have not responded. I can only conclude that you are attempting to disprove your statement by showing how as a conservative you have no defensible logic.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:43 am
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

No Parados. From looooooooong experience with you, I know you won't accept anything I say to you, refer you to, or show you. So I'll accept that you disagree with me as you consistently have done, and, as I've already said, I don't intend to get into a pissing match with anybody on this. I am quite happy to discuss it as a topic.

I will say however, that you continue to reinforce the points that I've been making so keep up the good work.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:49 am
Foxfyre wrote:
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

No Parados. From looooooooong experience with you, I know you won't accept anything I say to you, refer you to, or show you. So I'll accept that you disagree with me as you consistently have done, and, as I've already said, I don't intend to get into a pissing match with anybody on this.

I will say however, that you continue to reinforce the points that I've been making so keep up the good work.

Yet you again say I am reinforcing your points?

Quote:
Insult in lieu of reason, logic, and/or verifiable facts is the liberal way, not the conservative or independent way.

I am not sure which point you think I am reinforcing. Please enlighten me and others that might wonder how I am insulting you.

Is this or is this not an attack under your standard?
Quote:
I know you won't accept anything I say to you, refer you to, or show you.
It seems to be directed at me personally rather than any of my comments. It seems to be not supported with anything that resembles a fact.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:51 am
Yo momma is so fat that when I yell "Kool Aid" she comes crashing through my wall.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:54 am
Parados, I say that you won't accept anything I say or show you because you never have. Not once that I can recall anyway. I doubt very serously that you can find a quote of yours anywhere in which you specifically agreed wtih me about anything. So I made an observation based on that fact. My observation contained no insult directed at you, but it is interesting that you seem to have taken it as a personal insult, but then perhaps that is the Liberal way too. Smile

And again, I'm not going to let you bait me into a pissing match with you. If you care to show how the statement in the thread starter is incorrect without making it a personal issue re anybody, I will be happy to discuss that with you or anybody. It is my opinion that most Conservatives would be able to do that. It is my opinion that most Liberals have a tough time doing that. Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:58 am
Quote:
So I made an observation. It is interesting that you seem to have taken it as a personal insult, but then perhaps that is the Liberal way too. Smile

Irony... killing me....

Staggering hypocrisy and historical revisionism from you, Fox. You really have sunk to a new low.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:59 am
Foxfyre wrote:
An example of irony perhaps except a generalization itself is not ad hominem unless personally directed to somebody.

I find very little to distinguish between the statement that "all liberals engage in insults" and "this person, because he's a liberal, engages in insults." Indeed, the conclusion in the latter statement is based upon the generalization contained in the former. If the latter is an ad hominem, I'm not quite sure why the former isn't.

Foxfyre wrote:
My point was that it is a trait of Liberalism to often debate via personal insult.

And it's less insulting when you say that "it is a trait of Liberalism to often debate via personal insult?" An insult doesn't become less of an insult because it is directed at a group rather than an individual.

Foxfyre wrote:
You, as one I view as a staunch liberal--you might object to that characterization--would not have been guilty of my complaint if you had left off the last line. Up until then you were making a reasoned, astute, and well thought out argument devoid of ad hominem content.

Yes, I do object to being called a "liberal." And I fail to see how pointing out irony can be deemed an ad hominem argument.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:05 am
Which of the following is a personal attack?

Quote:
Not only is it false it is verifiably false and your refusal to look at the facts makes it even more false

Quote:
I know you won't accept anything I say to you, refer you to, or show you.

Why is one substantially different from the other? Please explain Fox since you have told me I don't know how to use logic.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:11 am
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That's already been answered by CoastalRat who I agree with (often). It's an unfair and unrealistic generalization based on a few usual suspects and/or your own sensitivity and slanted perception. (That's not an attack on you -- we all have slanted perception.)

Just because you experience hostility mostly from people you've arbitrarily decided to brand as liberals does not mean it's "the liberal way". In fact, you are almost guaranteed to experience hostility from more liberals than "others" because one of the first things you do in an argument with anyone is declare them to be "liberals".
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:12 am
reverend hellh0und wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
There is a difference between hit and run quips and/or successful or unsuccessful attempts at humor and personally directed insults. If that quote was a personally directed insult it must have been an inside joke between you and CJ because I just don't see it.

If puerile crap is a disqualifier, however, half the members of A2K would be disqualified at some point during every day.

Well, like I said, I'm just curious what constitutes personal insults vs. personal attacks vs. peurile commentary.

But I'd agree with you that there's enough peurile crap on this forum to throw half the lot out. Although, something as peurile as what cjhsa said and using my name in directing it specifically to me seems akin to a juvenile comment, especially if one wishes to at least make a point one way or another.

Of course, like this and many other forums, it's all rather arbitrary.

its "puerile"[/i]....... I know people have told you this before. Laughing

I see the grammar Nazis have nothing better to contribute, as usual.

Peurile. There, happy? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:13 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
An example of irony perhaps except a generalization itself is not ad hominem unless personally directed to somebody.

I find very little to distinguish between the statement that "all liberals engage in insults" and "this person, because he's a liberal, engages in insults." Indeed, the conclusion in the latter statement is based upon the generalization contained in the former. If the latter is an ad hominem, I'm not quite sure why the former isn't.

Theoretically you would be correct. The distinction comes in the 'loophole' of allowing some Conservatives to opt out of some Conservative issues and some Liberals to opt out of some Liberal issues. As Wandel said, probably none of us are 100% anything. So to say that most Liberals are this or that would not necessarily be a criticism of you personally. To say that something is 'the Liberal way' is a generalization that allows for a lot of loopholes for those willing to allow them.

The difference I see in Conservative and Liberal debate styles is that the Conservative is more likely to attack what s/he sses as an incorrect generalization while the Liberal is more likely to take it as a personal affront and attack the person making the generalization. Again my perception could be wrong, but it is what it is at this time.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
My point was that it is a trait of Liberalism to often debate via personal insult.

And it's less insulting when you say that "it is a trait of Liberalism to often debate via personal insult?" An insult doesn't become less of an insult because it is directed at a group rather than an individual.

Well the 'insult' in question in this thread was actually directly at an individual within a particular context and subject that was being discussed. But taken out of that context, yes, if you think the statement is insulting, then it is an insult. The next questions then become, "Why did you think the statement is insulting? You disagree with it? Why?"

The context in which the statement was made, however, was not to say that Conservatives are less likely to be insulting than are Liberals likely to be insulting. That would be a different subject.

The context in which it was made was that the Liberal who is out of ammunition in an argument is more likely to start throwing personal insults in lieu of rational argument. Admitting that my opinion is quite personally biased, I think Conservatives are far less likely to do this purely because they are far less likely to run out of ammunition in an argument.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
You, as one I view as a staunch liberal--you might object to that characterization--would not have been guilty of my complaint if you had left off the last line. Up until then you were making a reasoned, astute, and well thought out argument devoid of ad hominem content.

Yes, I do object to being called a "liberal." And I fail to see how pointing out irony can be deemed an ad hominem argument.

If you do not consider yourself to be a Liberal, then you are quite correct to correct me on that point. It was not intended as a personal insult however, and if you took it that way, I regret any offense. That has just been my general perception, but our perception is always our own in any case.

Pointing out irony is not in itself ad hominem. Pointing out irony in a way to suggest hypocrisy is. I may actually deserve that. I am leaving wide open the possibility that my perception and conclusions drawn from it are wrong here.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me how or why I am wrong about it, however.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:14 am
Can't we all just get along?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:15 am
Dookie, had you gone to school with me at the Ozark Hillbilly Academy, you would have known that without being told. But now that you know, you will have 5 points deducted from your next post if you misspell that word again. Sorry, but that's the only way you will learn.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:16 am
Quote:

The difference I see in Conservative and Liberal debate styles is that the Conservative is more likely to attack what s/he sees as an incorrect generalization while the Liberal is more likely to take it as a personal affront and attack the person making the generalization. Again my perception could be wrong, but it is what it is at this time.

Irony... too much... killing me

You've taken dozens, if not hundreds, of attacks on incorrect generalizations you've made, Fox, as if they were personal affronts. It's your M.O., completely.

Too funny

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies