Insulting people in lieu of reason/logic is the liberal way.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:12 pm
Did I leave out "Foxfyre, meet Revel"...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:17 pm
Do I have heat on me? I hadn't noticed. But I have a hard time accepting my designation as foolish from one who has regularly alluded to me as or at least inferred that I am bigoted, racist, and an idiot. Smile

(In case anybody hasn't figured it out yet, the phrase Kicky lifted out of context to start this thread was from a quote of mine directed exclusively to Obill who I adore but who I think has not quite been himself on one particular thread lately and is nowhere near as reasonable as Sozobe.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:19 pm
Independents (especially O'Bill) are all morons. (Oh wait, I'm an independent; yeah still true).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:28 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Now how 'bout that retraction.

Foxfyre wrote:
Would you please extract and repeat any questions related to the specific threat topic you have asked that you would like for me to answer? I honestly thought I had answered them all.

And would you please extract and/or repeat the specific points you have made that refutes my definition of "the liberal way" of argument/debate in the context in which I have used it? If you actually did that, I will sincerely apologize because I sure did miss it.

I will post them all again, and I will keep posting them until you actually answer them when I feel like it, but right now, let me just respond to this last piece of non-reason you've posted.

Foxfyre wrote:
anecdotal evidence isn't a good argument here.

Then you have no basis for your original statement, and should apologize immediately for making baseless characterizations of an entire group of people.

Foxfyre wrote:
Also I am still waiting for you to show those 'logical reasoned arguments' that refute my definition as I defined it versus those who were focused on criticizing and/or discrediting Foxfyre for making the definition. The former would be arguing the conservative way and the latter would be arguing the liberal way--by my definitions of course. If you use my quote as your thread starter, I should be allowed to define what the quote means to me.)

No you shouldn't. Words have meanings for a reason. You don't get to define them.

Example: If I tell you that "stupid"="lovely" and "bitch"="genius", is it then reasonable for me to expect a "thank you" from you if I tell you that you are a stupid bitch?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:31 pm
Oh, then you do see Liberal as a dirty word? Who would have thought? I didn't realize that or I would have profoundly apologized Kicky. I really wasn't looking at it from that angle.

And gee, as far as repeating yourself, and repeating yourself, and repeating yourself, hey, everybody needs a hobby.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:38 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Oh, then you do see Liberal as a dirty word? Who would have thought? I didn't realize that or I would have profoundly apologized Kicky. I really wasn't looking at it from that angle.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Desperation in leui of reason and logic is all it is.

Foxfyre wrote:
And gee, as far as repeating yourself, and repeating yourself, and repeating yourself, hey, everybody needs a hobby.

How about you answer the question instead of making disparaging implications about me?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:40 pm
And once again...

follow this thread for a page or two for further proof that insult in lieu of reason or logic is common to all ideologies.[/quote][/quote]
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:40 pm
Good heavens Foxy, I sure didn't mean to imply I'm as reasonable as Sozobe. Shocked I'm not sure anyone is, which is why she single-handedly proves your premise false. Nimh would make an excellent example as well... and so would Deb for that matter. She may whack you, but you can't say she makes a habit of doing it in lieu of reasoned arguement.

dyslexia wrote:
Independents (especially O'Bill) are all morons. (Oh wait, I'm an independent; yeah still true).
Laughing

Ps, you guys should at least take turns. 10 tough guys against 1 girl. I hope you're all real proud of yourselves.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:46 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Ps, you guys should at least take turns. 10 tough guys against 1 girl. I hope you're all real proud of yourselves.

And how would you suggest we do that, Bill? I started the thread yesterday, and I only really got into it with Foxfyre today. I waited all day while everyone else argued it out with her. Should I just wait until the thread dies to argue the point? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:47 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Good heavens Foxy, I sure didn't mean to imply I'm as reasonable as Sozobe. Shocked I'm not sure anyone is, which is why she single-handedly proves your premise false. Nimh would make an excellent example as well... and so would Deb for that matter. She may whack you, but you can't say she makes a habit of doing it in lieu of reasoned arguement.

dyslexia wrote:
Laughing

Why are you defending someone you know is arguing an intellectually bankrupt position?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:49 pm
kickycan wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Desperation in leui of reason and logic is all it is.

Foxfyre wrote:

How about you answer the question instead of making disparaging implications about me?

I haven't disparaged you Sweetie. You're okay in my book even if you did do a bad thing. If I intentionally insult you, believe me it will be quite obvious. Smile

What question would you like answered?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:52 pm
Quote:
I'll refer you to your quote I used as an example earlier in this post. "Label and dismiss - the Foxfyre way" is a personally directed insult and characterization... of your argument. That is what you have resorted to and is at least as bad as what you accuse others of

Quote:
The only way I have characterized the way you debate is to point out that you are focused on me and explaining my shortcomings to me rather than attempting to show how 'the liberal way' has been mischaracterized. So how is that a mischaracterization?No, you indicated that I use insult in place of logic and reason.

Quote:
Lordy, Lordy, you really DON'T pay attention do you? (Yes that was an insult.)

Quote:
You either are unable to understand my point or won't.

Quote:
Quote:
Where are these more honest and noble debaters who can understand the distinction you are attempting to make?.

Apparently you aren't one.

Quote:
Wow you're really getting into this liberal way of argument. Scratch a liberal long enough, and that often happens.

Fox, after reading this entire thread and most especially this specific post I have come to the conclusion that you are the worst offender of what you are calling "the liberal way". In fact, your statement that started this thread is a perfect example of what you are talking about. I find that you are often snide and insulting in a backhanded sort of way and are shocked to find that you have to stand to account for it. Nobody, not even other staunch conservatives are defending you on this. There's a reason why. It's because you are wrong.

Sometimes, Foxfyre, the thing that bothers us so much about others is something we are guilty of ourselves. If you perceive that you are often attacked unfairly or personally insulted in a debate, maybe it's time to look in the mirror?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Why are you defending someone you know is arguing an intellectually bankrupt position?

Because OCCOM Bill is such a courteous man Cool
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:54 pm
kickycan wrote:
Now how 'bout that retraction.

I read: how about that retardation. Like "how about them Braves".
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:58 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

One of the nice things about verbal debate is that physical strength isn't an advantage, so why would anyone take into account that one is a girl?

That said, there is a case to be made about not piling on, so maybe I'll back off.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:59 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
What question would you like answered?

This one.

Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Also I am still waiting for you to show those 'logical reasoned arguments' that refute my definition as I defined it versus those who were focused on criticizing and/or discrediting Foxfyre for making the definition. The former would be arguing the conservative way and the latter would be arguing the liberal way--by my definitions of course. If you use my quote as your thread starter, I should be allowed to define what the quote means to me.)

No you shouldn't. Words have meanings for a reason. You don't get to define them.

Example: If I tell you that "stupid"="lovely" and "bitch"="genius", is it then reasonable for me to expect a "thank you" from you if I tell you that you are a stupid bitch?

And while you're at it, please respond to this.

Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:
anecdotal evidence isn't a good argument here.

Then you have no basis for your original statement, and should apologize immediately for making baseless characterizations of an entire group of people.

And how about this...

kickycan wrote:
follow this thread for a page or two for further proof that insult in lieu of reason or logic is common to all ideologies.

Thanks.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 02:04 pm
Personally I take exception to being likened to foxfrye, Occombill, I don't imagine she likes it either.

Also what has foxfrye's gender to do with anything?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 02:05 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:
I'll refer you to your quote I used as an example earlier in this post. "Label and dismiss - the Foxfyre way" is a personally directed insult and characterization... of your argument. That is what you have resorted to and is at least as bad as what you accuse others of

Quote:
The only way I have characterized the way you debate is to point out that you are focused on me and explaining my shortcomings to me rather than attempting to show how 'the liberal way' has been mischaracterized. So how is that a mischaracterization?No, you indicated that I use insult in place of logic and reason.

Quote:
Lordy, Lordy, you really DON'T pay attention do you? (Yes that was an insult.)

Quote:
You either are unable to understand my point or won't.

Quote:
Quote:
Where are these more honest and noble debaters who can understand the distinction you are attempting to make?.

Apparently you aren't one.

Quote:
Wow you're really getting into this liberal way of argument. Scratch a liberal long enough, and that often happens.

Fox, after reading this entire thread and most especially this specific post I have come to the conclusion that you are the worst offender of what you are calling "the liberal way". In fact, your statement that started this thread is a perfect example of what you are talking about. I find that you are often snide and insulting in a backhanded sort of way and are shocked to find that you have to stand to account for it. Nobody, not even other staunch conservatives are defending you on this. There's a reason why. It's because you are wrong.

Sometimes, Foxfyre, the thing that bothers us so much about others is something we are guilty of ourselves. If you perceive that you are often attacked unfairly or personally insulted in a debate, maybe it's time to look in the mirror?

Duck, I'll say this one more time and maybe just maybe get through that little yellow round head of yours.

I am arguing a point thrust upon me by Kicky who pulled a quote of mine out of context and used it to start the thread. My whole argument the whole time is that liberals are more likely to focus on their opponent in an insulting way than they are likely to focus on the point their opponent is making. They are far more likely to criticize their opponent for making a point in the first place than they are likely to consider whether the point has any merit.

All I have done here is point out how various members have done just that. They have made me the issue, as you have done here, rather than the point that was being made.

I accept that you see me as an insulting, unacceptable person. Many do. Also many don't. I regret the former. I appreciate the latter. But I have not done anything here other than defend a point that Kicky used as a thread starter and attributed to me. And the ONLY way I could do that is to attempt to put the phrase in the context in which I intended it and to use you and all the others trying to discredit me personally as illustration for my argument in defense of that point. And many of you have cooperated in that effort quite nicely. Smile

I can't think of any way to say it differently than I've already said it, and I know from experience that few will even attempt to see from my point of view. So, I'll apologize for unintentionally ruffling your feathers, and if its's okay with all you guys, I'll leave you to happily trash me as you probably will do and get on with some more productive pursuits. But thanks for the exercise. And the beautiful illustrations that I will probably get to use elsewhere.

Oh and Kicky, Sweetheart, at some point or another, I did respond to every one of your points. I just don't feel like repeating it all again.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 02:16 pm
If we were giving awards on how to make the most sickening sweetly sanctimonious posts into insults leaving wiggle room of denial afterwards it would have to be foxfrye, hands down.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 02:18 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
<Shrugs>Never could stand to see anyone get backed into a corner. :wink:
FreeDuck wrote:
One of the nice things about verbal debate is that physical strength isn't an advantage, so why would anyone take into account that one is a girl?
My bad... collateral damage... I was aiming for a shot in the men's manhood. :wink:
revel wrote:
Personally I take exception to being likened to foxfrye, Occombill, I don't imagine she likes it either.

Also what has foxfrye's gender to do with anything?
Sorry. Embarrassed
0 Replies