Insulting people in lieu of reason/logic is the liberal way.

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:34 am
kickycan wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Explain what this means.

You don't pay attention very well do you?

That sounds to me like a personal insult. Aren't you are a conservative?

Are you ready to retract your statement yet?

You think it was an insult? Why do you think it was insulting? How else do you express that a person is not using information that was already furnished to them?

I'll retract my observation if shown that the information was not available of course.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:36 am
kickycan wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
1) The phrase 'the liberal way" was directed to a specific person and was used in a specific context in a specific point that was being made. It was not me, but rather Kicky, who took it out of context and presented it as if it was a blanket statement.

As I told you before, a blanket statement is a blanket statement whether you are telling it to a specific person or saying it in a speech to thousands.

I ask that you cease and desist with this disingenuous line of horseshit.

No. I'm right. You're wrong. That's the way I see it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:56 am
Foxfyre wrote:
So far nobody but more conservative members have presumed to show how my statement in the thread starter is incorrect. The best most of the liberals have come up with is that I am deserving of much criticism for making such a statement.

And that is the difference between the "Conservative way" and the "Liberal way" as I see it. Agree or disagree.

I will do nothing of the kind. Your efforts to stick labels onto your correspondents are a matter of uttermost indifference to me.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:

And that's the conservative way!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:03 pm
JPB wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:

And that's the conservative way!

Yep.

Now....

http://sandiego.indymedia.org/images/2006/09/118882.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:07 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:07 pm
Re: Insulting people in lieu of reason/logic is the liberal
Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
1) The phrase 'the liberal way" was directed to a specific person and was used in a specific context in a specific point that was being made. It was not me, but rather Kicky, who took it out of context and presented it as if it was a blanket statement.

As I told you before, a blanket statement is a blanket statement whether you are telling it to a specific person or saying it in a speech to thousands.

Wow, there's some logic. Laughing

If that is the way you see it, however, then you are actually retracting your original statement. There's no way around it, friend.

Glad you finally see the light.

Still waiting for that official retraction though.

In fact, let me make it easy for you.

I, Foxfyre, agree that my original statement, "Insult in lieu of reason, logic, and/or verifiable facts is the liberal way, not the conservative or independent way," is stupid, inane, and ignorant, and I retract it completely.

There, now all you have to do is copy it and paste it. I'd accept that.

Furthermore, it would show people here that you are capable of debating logically, without personal bias or prejudice.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:12 pm
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
So far nobody but more conservative members have presumed to show how my statement in the thread starter is incorrect. The best most of the liberals have come up with is that I am deserving of much criticism for making such a statement.

And that is the difference between the "Conservative way" and the "Liberal way" as I see it. Agree or disagree.

I will do nothing of the kind. Your efforts to stick labels onto your correspondents are a matter of uttermost indifference to me.

I think you may be on to something there Thomas...now work on the acidity of your tone... I think that's where Set has the advantage on you...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:14 pm
dyslexia wrote:
While it's true that all liberals are retarded communistic atheist bastards, the lady Diane even hugs trees; its also true that all conservatives are racist bigoted xenophobes.

I totally resent that. My parents were married.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:22 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Shocked Why Foxfyre, that wasn't nice at all. In fact, it was a tad insulting.

Yup. Insulting the conservative way.

Quote:
Quote:
"The liberal way" is to focus on and criticize the person making the argument rather than focusing on the argument itself.

Great, now demonstrate how I have argued this way.

Okay, as one example there is this post of yours:
Quote:
It was an "official" designation just a few sentences ago. Now, it's entirely self-defined as you say. What is that supposed to mean to me other than you are out of ammunition and are left with nothing but "label and dismiss" otherwise known as "the Foxfyre way"? Whatever tactic you choose now, one thing is obvious, you are out of ammunition, you have nothing left to argue, what feeble arguments you have presented have been obliterated with ease more than once, you've contradicted yourself more than once, and most importantly, you are no longer making sense.

Please show where in this you even attempted to address the issue of why or whether 'the liberal way' as I have defined it is correct or incorrect. It seems to me that you are totally focused on me and explaining my deficiencies to me. That, my friend, is 'the liberal way' of argument as I define it.

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder why the liberals are having so much problem explaining why the statement is not true rather than making post after post after post that supports my point of view on it?

I don't know about "the liberals" but several people have presented the case very well that what you say is at least applicable to both "sides" (as if there were only two) and at most flatly untrue. You haven't responded to those and haven't argued them but have instead resorted to dismissing people.

Really? Then I must not have been paying attention. I recall a lot of arguments, mostly focused on my deficiencies in argument as well as in other ways, explaining to me that I did not intend what I say I intended or that my definition is not the way I define the phrase, or that the phrase means what I say it does not mean. I don't recall a single post from anybody explaining how the phrase is incorrect as I define it. Kicky and perhaps a few others insist on changing the definition, but that isn't cricket so far as I am concerned. Perhaps I did overlook a rational argument dealing with the phrase as to its accuracy. If you would be so kind as to point it out, I will certainly acknowledge it.

Quote:
Quote:

Out of ammunition? You've got to be kidding. You're the one who is focused on me and making characterizations about me....which, as I define it, is 'the liberal way' of argument.

Quote me or withdraw it. What characterizations about you have I made? I think you'll find that I characterize the way you debate. Which as you say, is permissible. After all, you have (mis)characterized the way I debate, have you not?

I'll refer you to your quote I used as an example earlier in this post. "Label and dismiss - the Foxfyre way" is a personally directed insult and characterization.

The only way I have characterized the way you debate is to point out that you are focused on me and explaining my shortcomings to me rather than attempting to show how 'the liberal way' has been mischaracterized. So how is that a mischaracterization?

Quote:
Quote:
I daresay I am certainly capable of contradicting myself, but I have not done so in this discussion. Let me redefine my point:

How does this change anything?

Lordy, Lordy, you really DON'T pay attention do you? (Yes that was an insult.) I have explained it now so many times, however, that I doubt a further explanation would be useful for those who are determined not to allow me to define the term for which I am being criticized here.

Quote:
Quote:
2) In the way in which I used the phrase, "the liberal way" expresses my opinion that liberals are far more likely than conservatives to focus on and criticize and belittle or insult a person making a point or argument than they are likely to focus on the point or argument itself.

So why even type out number one and then flatly contradict it here. Either it was about that one person and the way they debate or it was generalized to mean that this is an inherently liberal trait. Which is it?

Again this has been fully explained more than once now. You either are unable to understand my point or won't. I won't presume which. I am not going to bow to the bait to keep repeating myself, however.

Quote:
Quote:
3) Finally, I offered several suggestions in which a similar phrases would be used in other circumstances to illustrate that the phrase was not intended to be a blanket condemnation of all liberals or all liberal arguments. The more honest on this thread will acknowledge that I quite clearly explained that by via those illustrations and previously to that as well.

Where are these more honest and noble debaters who can understand the distinction you are attempting to make?.

Apparently you aren't one.

Quote:
By generalizing your insult, you indicate that more than just the poster you were speaking with are guilty of it, but fewer than all. Where does that leave someone who wonders which group they are in in your esteem and who wants to know whether they should respond to such an accusation? I find it weaselly and cowardly to phrase insults that way. Better to be direct and accept responsibility for your accusation

I didn't generalize the phrase when it was initially used nor even characterize it as an insult. Kicky did that. I have subsequently explained both the context and my intent in using it. If you don't accept that, that is certainly your prerogative as you have most certainly expressed quite well in 'the liberal way'. But you sure as hell haven't shown any evidence that you're right and I'm wrong. I accept full responsibility for the phrase as I used it and as I intended it. If it hurt your feelings, I will express regret for that and explain that this was not my intention. You will have to accept responsibility for your own feelings and perceptions.

Quote:
Quote:
Now if you can focus on these three things and represent them honestly, you can be pronounced cured of making your argument 'the liberal' way. Otherwise, you aren't going to 'get it right'.

Pronounced "cured" by who, the Queen? I'm really not interested in your arbitrary judgment of me and whether I "get it right". You are not someone I look to as an authority on this matter.

Wow you're really getting into this liberal way of argument. Scratch a liberal long enough, and that often happens. But I have never asked or even suggested to you that I be regarded as an authority on this matter or any other for that matter. That is a conclusion you apparently drew entirely on your own and can't support that any more than you can support any other presumptions your posts suggest that you are making or inferring about me.

It is funny however how the most judgmental among us come right out and judge others so easily. Don't you find that funny?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:26 pm
kickycan wrote:

No!!! This thread is keeping Foxfyre preoccupied. :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:27 pm
Don't worry Wandel. I won't be upsetting you on your thread for awhile. You can rest easy.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:28 pm
just a little joke, foxfyre

(i apologize)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:32 pm
wandeljw wrote:
just a little joke, foxfyre

(i apologize)

I know Wandel. I was still on a roll dealing with a few.......shall we say less reasonable people? You know I love ya.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:48 pm
The problem you will always have here is that the less well-equipped conservatives (less well-equipped with evidence and logic) will respond to criticism of what they say as criticism of themselves. If one of these members says something idiotic, and you say "that's idiotic," they will respond as though you had said that he or she were an idiot, rather than that what they wrote was idiotic. I long ago gave up attempting to be cordial to such people, because (and Fox is the best example of this) they will assert that only they are well-informed, and that only they are well educated.

It does absolutely no good to prove that they are wrong, because it is not factual evidence they seek--they seek to prop up their position with assertion, and if called upon to provide evidence, they either provide distortions from questionable sites, or simply make assertions for which they provide no evidence. In the thread about the Lebanon, both Fox and Ican't continually asserted that Israel had acted in self-defense, and had only attacked after "thousands of rockets" had been launched at their territory. So, i went out and found and linked the evidence that Israel had attacked six highway bridges in the Lebanon before Hezbollah began launching their rockets. Ican't provided a source which alleged that 3,000 rockets had been launched at Israel. So, i pointed out that over 30 days, that would require more than 10 days before more than a thousand rockets had been launched, and pointed out once again that i had provided evidence from reputable news sources that Israel had attacked six highway bridges on the first day of the war. Eventually, both Fox and Ican't simply stopped responding. Fox's excuse was the manner in which she was being addressed.

Neither of them ever provided any evidence from a reputable source that showed that Israel had been the target of thousands of rockets before the IDF retaliated. I don't expect that they ever will. Fox now never responds to my posts, because her feelings have been so consistently hurt. But since it wounds such people in their self-love simply to be told that they are wrong, why should anyone give a rat's ass if they complain about being insulted. Their drivel constantly insults the intelligence of everyone who posts here.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:48 pm
Re: Insulting people in lieu of reason/logic is the liberal
Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Explain what this means.

That sounds to me like a personal insult. Aren't you are a conservative?

Are you ready to retract your statement yet?

You think it was an insult? Why do you think it was insulting?

I'm not sure if it is or not. I'm just saying it sounds like one. Why do you think it wasn't one? Is it the fact that you believe it to be true that makes it not an insult?

Foxfyre wrote:
How else do you express that a person is not using information that was already furnished to them?

I've done it many times on this very thread in response to your posts. You haven't used any information that I've given you, and I didn't respond with any personal commentary about any lack of cognitive abilities that I might see in you.

Still waiting for that official retraction, by the way. Or at least a reasoned response.

Here, I'll post it again for you so you can just copy and paste.

I, Foxfyre, agree that my original statement, "Insult in lieu of reason, logic, and/or verifiable facts is the liberal way, not the conservative or independent way," is stupid, inane, and ignorant, and I retract it completely.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:54 pm
I guess I just have to keep posting the same things over and over again until I get a response.

Once again...

kickycan wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Okay, what the hell, I said to myself, why not? I took your challenge, Foxfyre, but not for the whole thread. I'm just too lazy for that. Here are my findings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dlowan -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

dys -- personally insulting -- independent

Kuvasz -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

Joe Nation -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

Parados -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

Reverend Hellhound -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- conservative

coastal rat -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- conservative

cycloptichorn -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't count you, me, or anyone whose ideology I wasn't fairly certain of.

So that's five liberals and two conservatives who were not being personally insulting in lieu of reason or logic. One person was personally insulting in lieu of reason or logic, and he was an independent.

So are you ready to retract that stupid, inane, and ignorant statement now?

Putting their posts in the mix would be helpful. Did you really look to see who of these was focused on criticizing me for my point of view rather than making an argument for why the statement itself is incorrect? I think you probably didn't.

(P.S. Joe objected to being characterized as 'liberal'. I try to respect things like that. And I have clearly stated my ideology.)

I stand by what I saw in the thread. I saw a lot of people criticising your point of view, but not you personally. If you disagree, then show me where I went wrong. If not, then I can only conclude that you have no case to make, and will await the retraction of your stupid ignorant comment.

And that was JoefromChicago who objected to being characterized as "liberal."

And furthermore, follow this thread for a page or two for further proof that insult in lieu of reason or logic is common to all ideologies.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:55 pm
Now how 'bout that retraction.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:59 pm
kickycan wrote:
Now how 'bout that retraction.

Would you please extract and repeat any questions related to the specific threat topic you have asked that you would like for me to answer? I honestly thought I had answered them all.

And would you please extract and/or repeat the specific points you have made that refutes my definition of "the liberal way" of argument/debate in the context in which I have used it? If you actually did that, I will sincerely apologize because I sure did miss it.

(P.S. If you will review here, I have never said that ALL liberals argue via my definition nor that NO conservatives argue via my definition. So anecdotal evidence isn't a good argument here. Also I am still waiting for you to show those 'logical reasoned arguments' that refute my definition as I defined it versus those who were focused on criticizing and/or discrediting Foxfyre for making the definition. The former would be arguing the conservative way and the latter would be arguing the liberal way--by my definitions of course. If you use my quote as your thread starter, I should be allowed to define what the quote means to me.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
The problem you will always have here is that the less well-equipped conservatives (less well-equipped with evidence and logic) will respond to criticism of what they say as criticism of themselves. If one of these members says something idiotic, and you say "that's idiotic," they will respond as though you had said that he or she were an idiot, rather than that what they wrote was idiotic. I long ago gave up attempting to be cordial to such people, because (and Fox is the best example of this) they will assert that only they are well-informed, and that only they are well educated.
That's awfully kind of you Set to take some of the heat off Foxfyre by making a blanket statement about some conservatives. Granted, you qualified yours a bit, but not sufficiently to distinguish the actions of the "less well-equipped (less well-equipped with evidence and logic) " liberals from your example. Less well-equipped, brilliance and idiocy know no party or ideological distinction. Michael, meet Pistoff. GeorgeOB1, meet Nimh. Finn, meet Dlowan. Foxy made a foolish distinction. The answer to her query can be answered with a single name; Sozobe. (Game, set, match.)

Still, it's nice of you to take some of the heat off her by making a smaller gaffe from the same family yourself. :wink:
0 Replies