Stressed!!! My job may be sent out of state!!

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:07 pm
OK - you will be happy I behaved myself. The first thing she asked me was "How are you doing?" I said "fine". Her response I'm sure you're not fine - I've been through something like that before and I know about your husband and kids, etc. I just said again along the lines, I'll be o-k.

Then we just talked about work stuff - they like suggestions on how to improve things, where are the pain points, etc. I just kept my focus on work related items - nothing else.

One thing when she was wrapping up was that she asked me to just hang in there and make it sound like there was some potential some where - but that could be just to try to keep me around for a year. I just noted that I am focused on my work and will continue working hard. She said she had no doubts about that.

So it was a bit painful, but I survived.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:12 pm
Sounds like you did a great job, Linkat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:15 pm
sozobe wrote:

I was a wimp - a kiss up - now I will think of ways to get even.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:20 pm
Linkat wrote:
sozobe wrote:

I was a wimp - a kiss up - now I will think of ways to get even.

The quiet ones are always the ones to watch Very Happy I think you handled it well, Linkat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:27 pm
Given that they're going to lose people at a bit of a clip, they may find themselves in a position to offer a more significant staying-on bonus down the line.

Something to keep in mind.

A colleague of mine was mentioning what she got in a similar situation a few years ago - they bumped the staying-on bonus significantly, but didn't announce it til just before the end.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:30 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Given that they're going to lose people at a bit of a clip, they may find themselves in a position to offer a more significant staying-on bonus down the line.

Something to keep in mind.

A colleague of mine was mentioning what she got in a similar situation a few years ago - they bumped the staying-on bonus significantly, but didn't announce it til just before the end.

Well if my husband's business keeps increasing - I may not have an issue.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:32 pm
Am I allowed to still have evil thoughts?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:34 pm
Linkat wrote:
Am I allowed to still have evil thoughts?

Absolutely!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:43 pm
I am kicking butt.....

http://www.chillywillyfan.com/chillypics/14/buttkick.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:11 pm
Linkat wrote:
Well if my husband's business keeps increasing - I may not have an issue.

you could hang in, take the extra money, invest it

live the high life as you deserve to

yup!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:15 pm
Evil thoughts are excellent, go for it. However.... you did wonderfully.

Interesting position for her to be in, though, if she's been through something similar. Presumably she wants to retain position as well.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:08 pm
Linkat wrote:
I am kicking butt.....

http://www.chillywillyfan.com/chillypics/14/buttkick.jpg

http://www.therealmartha.com/stress/Max_just_taking_names.jpg

Good goin'!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 08:46 am
ossobuco wrote:
Evil thoughts are excellent, go for it. However.... you did wonderfully.

Interesting position for her to be in, though, if she's been through something similar. Presumably she wants to retain position as well.

Oh yeah... I think she is sincere about feeling badly, but she is saving her a$$. I do know about what happened to her in general as the industry is small and know people involved where she worked prior - the difference her group was outsourced to a different company - just blocks from her current office. Supposedly everyone was offered their same job at the other company - granted not as desirable firm to work for - but much easier pill to swallow.

The other difficult thing is - she isn't moving or her peers or her direct reports. Only one at the director level (one level above me and two below her) and I am the only one at my level - everyone else at my level or above is staying - this includes job moves to Texas or New Hampshire. Those below my level - more are moving to either location than are staying.

Not sure what they are going to do in Texas as neither the director or me are planning on moving - they will have no one to run the place. I am not even sure if any of my directs (manager level) are planning on moving - there is only one potential and he doesn't seem that keen on it.

Oh - my reminder flashed up I have a one on one with my boss.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:24 pm
Linkat--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies