Stressed!!! My job may be sent out of state!!

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:59 am
mac11 wrote:
No, I don't think that would be forward at all. Sounds like she might have the chance to pay it "back" instead of "forward"...

Funny I saved the email just because I thought it was so nice of her to take the time to send a thank you. It was such a small thing I did I didn't think twice about it.

Who would know that saving it, simply gave me another contact.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 01:50 pm
Linkat wrote:
Miller wrote:
Chai wrote:
drink some ginger ale, it'll settle your stomach.

You'll need something much stronger!

That was my comment about the cupcakes - we are going to need something stronger than these!

I have been checking Boston.com and the Boston Herald as I usually hear things from these sources before I do from work - but so far nothing.

The Globe publishes "Boston Works" and online, there's Monster.com.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 01:53 pm
Linkat wrote:
So here is the story. My job and tree (those under me) is moving to Texas. There will be some people still here in Boston, but I didn't luck out. So my options, move to Texas or lose my job. They are offering that if you stay until August 1, 2008, they will give you a bonus of six months salary. Then you have 60 days in your current job to search for another position within the company. There will be some sort of severance, but it is dependent on how long you have worked for the company (unfortunately for me I have been here only a little over 2 years so it is probably not much).

I can also visit Texas with my hubby on them to see if I like it. I was more upset at the fact that some people were staying and I wasn't one of them than the above offer. Had all of us been relocated I would have been o-k. I may take them up on visiting just to have a free vacation and try to get as much as possible from them.

I have two months to sign this letter of intent of what I plan to do. If I say I will move to Texas, but then I don't, I do not get the 6 months bonus. If I say I plan on not relocating, then change my mind, I will get a position if there is one available. I do want to stay through December so I can get my annual bonus. I think I might just look internally until then, but still let the word out to those people who can help me get other jobs, but maybe not be so active in searching.

What do you all think?

I'd take the job in Texas and while working there look for another position if I was unhappy. By the way, can't your husband move his franchise down to Texas?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:00 pm
He would have to sell his franchise - which could take a very long time - and then could only open up another if there was a site available - in others words if corporate has determined that there is availability in the area - they do not want to saturate the area with the same franchise otherwise they will be taking business from an existing franchise and less likely to be successful.

Also, they will pay for relocation expenses which can be very expensive, but if you leave the position within a year, you will need to reimburse them for it.

You are also talking about uprooting children from their school, friends and family and going some where they and you do not know anyone. In addition, my parents take care of my youngest and even my older child during vacations and days off or when I cannot get proper care for them. I would no longer have such a resource.

Another thing I would have to consider. If I went to Texas, initially, I would get my current pay, but in future years because the pay scale is lower, I may not get raises because I would be either at the max or very close to the max.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:37 pm
Linkat--

At least you know The Worst--which is much more restful than imagining The Worst.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:04 pm
The cost of living in Texas has to be much less than in Boston.
I wouldn't mind moving to Texas, except for the heat, which would kill me!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 04:40 pm
Sounds to me like you need to look for another job and just hang in as long as you can - what is it? You have a job until Aug 1, 2008, then 6 more months salary and another 60 days to find a job... and then a severance. I say this sounds pretty good for only having worked there 2 years.

While there, scout around.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 10:56 am
Miller wrote:
The cost of living in Texas has to be much less than in Boston.

I agree - I certainly would consider it and hubby and I did talk about it, but the timing is so off. If we didn't have kids and if my husband didn't just purchase a business, it would definately be feasible. Even if one of those other factors were to be removed it would be feasible or easier to deal with only one huge hurdle but with both - I can't risk my husband not selling his business and at least break even with two kids to support for example.

The other issue is once you are there, I may be getting my current salary, but would probably not be eligible for raises as my salary would be above their pay scale in Texas. I do not think alot of people are considering that issue.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:02 am
Mame wrote:
Sounds to me like you need to look for another job and just hang in as long as you can - what is it? You have a job until Aug 1, 2008, then 6 more months salary and another 60 days to find a job... and then a severance. I say this sounds pretty good for only having worked there 2 years.

While there, scout around.

Yes - I have a job until Aug 1, 2008 (at a minimum) - you get 6 months salary (taxed at bonus rate so basically 58% of your salary), then you get two months (full salary/benefits) at your current job where you can try to find a comparable job within the company, then I would get 6 weeks severance. The problem being I would need health care, dental, etc. for a family out of pocket. So it would be more like 5 months additional.

Sounds good until you hear that this affects over 500 people in my company. Some will move, most from the sounds of it are taking the risk of finding another job. The competition will be fierce to find another job. One thing if I didn't have kids to support and two mortgages to pay.

It is good - but the six months pay is to entice people to stay and do the work - not out of the goodness of the company's heart.

It's true it could be worse, but it is difficult especially when you enjoy your job.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:07 am
Lots can happen between now and then - that's over a year away. Please don't fret. I'm sure you will find a positive resolution - just stay positive and open-minded, as you usually are, and the situation will resolve itself. It may be that they change their mind about your position, or create another one that would be perfect for you... you never know.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:13 am
Miller wrote:

They recently invented some new-fangled device called "air conditioning."

They installed it at a restaurant, here, and by golly, I'm gonna git it fer the house!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:32 am
I went to a movie house once that had that air conditioning thing too.

That place also had flush toilets.

Seriously, my mother used to come up with the damndest things when I had to talk to her on the phone (I had to go climb up that big wooden pole in front of my neighbors house to call her)

For some reason people from New Jersey just HAVE to know what the temperature is every time you talk.

Every year it was the same friggin thing....

What's the weather like there?

It's August....it's hot.

ooohhh....because it really hot HERE too! It got up to 85 this afternoon.

It's 104....

ooohhhh....do you have air conditioning?

She also asked me if people painted their doors different colors here because someone down the road painted their door RED!
To this day, when I'm with my husband and we pass a house with a red door I'll gasp and say "LOOK! A red door!

She wanted to know what people did when the temperature got into the 20's, 30's, and 40's and they had to go outside (this was every year too)...

Well, they just freeze because all we have to wear are cowboy boots, cowboy jeans and shirts, and cowboy hats.

I heard that one of these years we're gonna get one of those fancy things called malls or shopping centers. Maybe they'll have a coat somewhere in there.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 03:10 pm
Boy, sounds really backwards there. We've had those mall things here for a few years now. And we haven't had a party line since oh about 1965 or so.

Since you're all still in the Dark Ages, does this mean the price of gas is cheaper there, too?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:59 am
Just to let you all know - I am done with the pity party and licking my wounds - now I am on the war path and focused. I will do an outstanding job here (as I have always) and I am now in the process of networking.

I also feel terrible as I found out that those slated to move to NH are forced to do so this summer. They only have til the end of the month to sign their intention and as it is a shorter time period and not quite the same lifestyle, distance sort of move they are only receiving 3 months salary. I guess in a sense I am fortunate they slated me for Texas - I have over a year, they have only months.

Thanks for your support - I am an optimist by nature and am now looking at this as an opportunity to seek a change in my career even if just slightly. I am excited at the potential opportunities and am also looking to help those who report to me that I know do not want to leave the area.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:21 am
Linkat wrote:
Just to let you all know - I am done with the pity party and licking my wounds - now I am on the war path and focused. I will do an outstanding job here (as I have always) and I am now in the process of networking.

I also feel terrible as I found out that those slated to move to NH are forced to do so this summer. They only have til the end of the month to sign their intention and as it is a shorter time period and not quite the same lifestyle, distance sort of move they are only receiving 3 months salary. I guess in a sense I am fortunate they slated me for Texas - I have over a year, they have only months.

Thanks for your support - I am an optimist by nature and am now looking at this as an opportunity to seek a change in my career even if just slightly. I am excited at the potential opportunities and am also looking to help those who report to me that I know do not want to leave the area.

Atta Girl!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:27 am
Wow! I just saw this, Linkat. I missed the pity party but you're doing a great job of looking forward now.

Go for it!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 11:56 am
DrewDad wrote:
Miller wrote:

They recently invented some new-fangled device called "air conditioning."

They installed it at a restaurant, here, and by golly, I'm gonna git it fer the house!

Ever hear of "ENERGY CONSERVATION"?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 11:59 am
Just wanted to give you an update - I listened (sometimes people here do listen to advice) and sent a quick email asking for help to that person I did not really know.

She was so nice. She said she would definately help and keep thing confidential. She even mentioned one area she assists in and thought she could arrange me to speak with the heads of these departments. As she is busy now - she will set up a meeting with me next month and asked for my resume.

I feel very happy and confident now.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:08 pm
Quote:
That place also had flush toilets.

Oh Lordie! You mean you'all had to flush the pots yourselves?

Have you not heard about automatic toilets? They self-flush!

You all needs to git wid the program, dam fast... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:10 pm
Linkat wrote:
Just wanted to give you an update - I listened (sometimes people here do listen to advice) and sent a quick email asking for help to that person I did not really know.

She was so nice. She said she would definately help and keep thing confidential. She even mentioned one area she assists in and thought she could arrange me to speak with the heads of these departments. As she is busy now - she will set up a meeting with me next month and asked for my resume.

I feel very happy and confident now.

Keep looking, just in case LinnKat. Good luck to you...
0 Replies