Stressed!!! My job may be sent out of state!!

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:30 pm
Maybe it was the cupcake that made me ill.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:34 pm
Chai wrote:
drink some ginger ale, it'll settle your stomach.

You'll need something much stronger!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:36 pm
Miller wrote:
Chai wrote:
drink some ginger ale, it'll settle your stomach.

You'll need something much stronger!

That was my comment about the cupcakes - we are going to need something stronger than these!

I have been checking Boston.com and the Boston Herald as I usually hear things from these sources before I do from work - but so far nothing.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:38 pm
Your comments about the job being moved to India reminds me of when I bought a new HP laptop this past year. When I had a major technical problem in the heat of Summer, I had to call India and I then spent 4 hours talking to an Indian woman, who worked with me to get my computer to work.

Never, never again.

Ameriprise outsourced their mutual fund business to Puerto Rico and that's when I stopped buying mutual funds through them.

I think Boston is merger-mad. Just consider all the banks that have merged over the past 25 years.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:43 pm
Well when you consider what they are paying for entry level position here - I know as I am now working on merit, I can understand why they are outsourcing. The salaries are very high for new college graduates. Why not pay some one half the price in India.

The cost of living is so high in Boston that the salaries need to be higher as a result, companies are moving elsewhere. My company got huge tax incentives to open in Texas - the cost of living is significantly lower and the salaries are significantly lower - not to mention the leases in Boston.

Doesn't help me out, but I can understand the benefits of moving some where that the living costs are much lower.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:48 pm
If you have to move to Texas from Boston, you'll have some adjusting to do...to put it mildly.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
Naw....

well, yeah actually, for one thing you don't need to be telling anybody how people do things up north because guess what?

YOU'RE NOT UP NORTH ANYMORE!!!

I had this chicky babe, right after saying hello spend the next 10 minutes telling me how we didn't do things the way they did them in wherever she came from, and when she stopped to get a breath I asked her "So when are you moving back"?

When in Rome.....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 03:01 pm
When I lived in NYCity, I found out ( from New Yorkers ) that Boston was the cute little place up on the ocean.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 03:30 pm
I spend a lot of my time trying not to say "In California, we...."

I don't mean it as any superiority thing, though I still love California. I like it here too, although "love" may be going a little far. Just that it is hard to converse without ever mentioning 49 years worth of experiences.

I'm not hostile to new places, checking out places is my idea of fun. (I do emphathize with Linkat on the job thing though.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 06:56 am
So here is the story. My job and tree (those under me) is moving to Texas. There will be some people still here in Boston, but I didn't luck out. So my options, move to Texas or lose my job. They are offering that if you stay until August 1, 2008, they will give you a bonus of six months salary. Then you have 60 days in your current job to search for another position within the company. There will be some sort of severance, but it is dependent on how long you have worked for the company (unfortunately for me I have been here only a little over 2 years so it is probably not much).

I can also visit Texas with my hubby on them to see if I like it. I was more upset at the fact that some people were staying and I wasn't one of them than the above offer. Had all of us been relocated I would have been o-k. I may take them up on visiting just to have a free vacation and try to get as much as possible from them.

I have two months to sign this letter of intent of what I plan to do. If I say I will move to Texas, but then I don't, I do not get the 6 months bonus. If I say I plan on not relocating, then change my mind, I will get a position if there is one available. I do want to stay through December so I can get my annual bonus. I think I might just look internally until then, but still let the word out to those people who can help me get other jobs, but maybe not be so active in searching.

What do you all think?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:18 am
So if you chose to stay with them and not relocate you have a job for the next 15 months and then get a bonus worth 6 months salary? If you stay here and look for a job starting in January that'd give you a full year to find something before having to worry about unemployment.

I guess the question for me would be - How hard is it to find a position similar to what you have now in the greater Boston area?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:27 am
fishin wrote:
So if you chose to stay with them and not relocate you have a job for the next 15 months and then get a bonus worth 6 months salary? If you stay here and look for a job starting in January that'd give you a full year to find something before having to worry about unemployment.

I guess the question for me would be - How hard is it to find a position similar to what you have now in the greater Boston area?

Because I am at a higher level (AVP), it could be difficult - also given my pay and how this industry is getting smaller, lots of mergers and outsourcing, it could be difficult. My other concerns with this occurring is during that time frame - the market will be saturated with people looking for jobs due to this company being so large.

Also the six months will not include health care - I have a family that needs to be covered and my husband has his own business so it would be very expensive to get on our own. We are stretched right now as his business is only a few weeks old - he is currently breaking even so we do not have any money coming in from his business.

I have in the past been able to find a job pretty quickly (but never in a situation where I needed to get a job - always because I wanted to leave or there was a better opportunity elsewhere) - honestly I am a great interviewer and have very good experience, the one thing is my salary is a bit on the high side for my level (due to my varied experiences) - and if there is an overabundance of candidates at the same time, could affect my chances.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:31 am
OK the next group is going in for their verdict. At least I was able to forewarn them. My guess is they get the offer of NH.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:02 am
Linkat wrote:
I think I might just look internally until then, but still let the word out to those people who can help me get other jobs, but maybe not be so active in searching.

This sounds like your best option, among tough options...

Linkat wrote:
I may take them up on visiting just to have a free vacation and try to get as much as possible from them.

If you're coming to Houston, I'd love to meet you!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:11 am
That sucks, Linkat.

I'm glad that you have such a good buffer, but it still sucks.

What do you think of starting your search IMMEDIATELY? Like, tomorrow? Your point about saturation is good, but it sounds like you have some good leads and contacts -- maybe you should pounce and get whatever might be available before anyone else does.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:43 am
mac11 wrote:
Linkat wrote:
I think I might just look internally until then, but still let the word out to those people who can help me get other jobs, but maybe not be so active in searching.

This sounds like your best option, among tough options...

Linkat wrote:
I may take them up on visiting just to have a free vacation and try to get as much as possible from them.

If you're coming to Houston, I'd love to meet you!

Too bad - it is in the Dallas area - by the way I have been to Houston and I loved it!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:45 am
sozobe wrote:
That sucks, Linkat.

I'm glad that you have such a good buffer, but it still sucks.

What do you think of starting your search IMMEDIATELY? Like, tomorrow? Your point about saturation is good, but it sounds like you have some good leads and contacts -- maybe you should pounce and get whatever might be available before anyone else does.

I'm concerned about missing out on my bonus - it is a good amount - what I use to pay for my kids' tuition. However, I figure I will begin to let the word out with friends and with some recruiters I know; that way if something really good crops up I can jump on it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 09:44 am
Would it be too forward of me to email some one I once helped out? I don't know her, however, we were both in line to purchase discount circus tickets that our company was offering - they were only taking checks. She was behind me and brought cash (she forgot to bring her checkbook). I offered to write a separate check for her for the tickets and in exchange she gave me the money.

A small gesture, but she was very happy as then she wouldn't be able to get the tickets for her family. She asked my name and we introduced ourselves. Not knowing her position at the time - come to find out she is director of management effectiveness for Corp. HR. Not sure what exactly they do, but it is in an entirely different area of the company that is not effected by these changes.

She even sent me a little thank you email ... "I just wanted to thank you again for your generous gesture - it's little things like that that make a difference. I'll "pay it forward"!"

I also work closely during certain times of year with a group in RI - that is much closer to my husband's business and we may eventually move there. I was thinking of contacting them as well as I have developed a good rapor with the Sr. Manager.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:30 am
Linkat wrote:
Would it be too forward of me to email some one I once helped out?

no.

i agree with soz that you should start looking now, with the caveat that you wouldn't be able to start until _____.

by all means, take full advantage of whatever you can get from present employer...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:55 am
No, I don't think that would be forward at all. Sounds like she might have the chance to pay it "back" instead of "forward"...
0 Replies