Stressed!!! My job may be sent out of state!!

Miller

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:13 pm
Once when I was staying in Austin Texas in a student dorm ( University of Texas ), I saw thousands of roaches the size of watermelons walking ( real slow ) across the floor. Could they have been the part -time furniture movers, I've heard so much about?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:13 pm
I'm glad to hear that you're feeling more optimistic about all this, Linkat.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:15 pm
mac11 wrote:

Me too!

If you know Japanese, Linnkat, perhaps the Boston Red Sox could hire you. (Have you seen the ads in the Boston Globe?)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:35 pm
Miller wrote:
mac11 wrote:

Me too!

If you know Japanese, Linnkat, perhaps the Boston Red Sox could hire you. (Have you seen the ads in the Boston Globe?)

Man that would be a dream job - can't speak Japanese except a few words, but I used to have a Japanese roommate in college - does that count?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:36 pm
Part time furniture movers you've heard to much about?

huh?
I'm glad you have heard because I don't have a clue what you mean

naw...if there were roaches there, they just came from the dirty slovenly students, which are found in every state.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:40 pm
Mame wrote:

Since you're all still in the Dark Ages, does this mean the price of gas is cheaper there, too?

We Bostonians also have the latest toilets !

Depending on the model, these toilets are designed to open the lid when they "sense" a user nearby, wash the anus or vulva of the user (including a number of pulsating and massaging functions), dry afterwards with warm air, flush automatically and close the lid after use. These toilets may be the most advanced toilets in the world. ( adapted from Wikipedia).

The best part has to be the "pulsating and massaging
functions"!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:40 pm
so what about these part time furniture movers you've heard so much about?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:43 pm
Linkat wrote:
Miller wrote:
mac11 wrote:

Me too!

Man that would be a dream job - can't speak Japanese except a few words, but I used to have a Japanese roommate in college - does that count?

Did your roommate play baseball?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:50 pm
Nah - she played volleyball.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 01:16 pm
Hello?

Am I invisible?

No, I can't be, my ass is too big.

Miller, Miller come in Miller.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:17 pm
Linkat--

You're obviously up and loaded for bear.

You're moving too quickly for me to offer to hold your coat.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 08:00 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Linkat--

You're obviously up and loaded for bear.

You're moving too quickly for me to offer to hold your coat.

Hold your dominion.

Yeah I can be a bit of a roller coaster - but that is the way I feel.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 08:11 am
At least they didn't tell Linkat about the move like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=452685&in_page_id=1770
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 11:13 am
Man that is brutual. My dad told me about the time when he was young and single. His boss was giving him a hint (my dad didn't realize at the time) - saying you are a young smart guy - I would think you would be looking for a different line of work ... not long after that his place of employment shut down for their annual vacation. The first day of work after vacation, they arrived - the door was locked with a sign that told them they were closed for good.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:03 am
Ok, I found a position that would be a lateral move. It would be different than my prior experiences, but related - more on the corporate side and more working as a team as opposed to heiarchy type of set up. I know one person in my position before that moved to similar position, but in a slightly different group so it is possible. I wrote her a quick email to see what sort of info I could get and the above is about what she sent me. She also said she had initially had a difficult transistion.

Should I apply - I feel a little scared - I will be going out of my comfort zone. I suppose I could to at least find out more about the position. Do you think applying and then finding out it isn't a good fit more would hamper future attempts at other positions?

As an aside - my fortune cookie last night said..."Do you see difficulty behind every opportunity, or opportunity behind every difficulty?"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:44 am
Linkat--

Listen to your fortune cookie.

Your friend made the transition, didn't she? What does she have that you con't have?

Stress is in your immediate future. Would you rather have the stress of job hunting or the stress of learning a new job?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 11:26 am
I know what you mean about the danger of applying and then deciding it's not for you, though, especially as it's a smallish hiring community (they may know and talk to each other). In my husband's field, one applies for a job only if one is sure to accept it if it's offered -- applying and then turning it down will endanger further job prospects.

Really varies by field, so you (Linkat) know the answer better than I do.

Maybe just get more info at this point?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 11:27 am
Let me amend that -- in my husband's field, it's fine to apply for several jobs and accept the best one offered. It's just not cool to apply for a job, get an offer, and then turn down the offer in the absence of anything better.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 12:59 pm
sozobe wrote:
Let me amend that -- in my husband's field, it's fine to apply for several jobs and accept the best one offered. It's just not cool to apply for a job, get an offer, and then turn down the offer in the absence of anything better.

What if the offer included no pay?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 01:06 pm
What do you mean, cjhsa?

Any job offer in his field would be with pay.
0 Replies