Men and Vasectomies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
Chai wrote:
know you through this forum, I'd say you're a perfect candidate to be childfree.

Gee thanks.

I'd be a great daddy. I'd have my little 5 year old pimping Gucci and walking up to hot women telling them he likes their hair, it looks like a bird's nest he just saw down the street.

Guess I'll stick with getting a dog some day.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:53 pm
Would I be a good daddy?

..........Sparky Junior...........
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:57 pm
I'm cut.

No biggie as far as I was concerned. Wife wanted to go off the pill. We had a consult with the GP and scheduled for surgery.

The only downside was a week without sex.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 10:29 pm
jazzieB123 wrote:
Montana wrote:
Not sure if anyone suggested this, but I had an IUD placed after my son was born and it never failed me.
Quote:

Thanx, Montana. I'm still reading up on IUD's as we speak. I'm wary of them having heard a few horror stories. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how long have you had yours for?

I'm thinking of using a new thing called the Nuva Ring ... which is a vaginal insert. It costs $150 / 3 months tho which seems a bit steep. My health insurance won't cover the cost of contra 'devices' (IUDs, rings, implants) ... hmmmm.

I don't mind at all. Ask anything you like. I've had mine for around 20 years and I've never had any problems at all.
My doc doesn't understand why more women don't go for it because he says it's the safest birth control there is.
My doc at the time I had mine is the one who suggested it because she had one as well.
She took me off the pill because of high blood pressure and I thought the IUD was the cats meow Laughing

There are different IUD's. They have temporary ones, but mine is permanent.

The only down side to it for me is that you get your period every 21 days instead of every 28 days. Other than that, no complaints.

It's done in an office visit and you can have it removed whenever you like.

No pills to destroy your body and no worries.

I have no idea what the ring is, but I personally prefer something permanent, unless I decide to have it removed.

Good luck to ya!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 10:33 pm
Chai wrote:
I'd like to know more about montana's experience too.

I've never used an IUD, and the three women I know that did use them didn't have a good experience.

One bled so much...I'd be there and see how she would go through a tampon and pad together in under an hour, I mean literally staining her clothes.

Another friend had horrible cramps, really bad.

The third? She got pregnant.

All these instances were about 20 years ago. Has the device changed in that time?

The nuva ring...how exactly does that work?

What I mean is, how does it stay in place?

I used a diaphram years ago, and of course that fits over the cervix. But what I see online re the nuva ring, you just insert it in the vagina.

Doesn't it move around? Wouldn't it possible move to the lower part of the vagina and, well, fall out? What about during sex?

I know with a diaphram they said to be careful during some positions, as the penis could push the diaphram off the cervix....and that thing was on pretty tight. I'm thinking it could got out during or after sex.

I did bleed more, but not that bad. Slowing down now, getting ready for that next stage in life. <sigh>

Hot flashes, here I come Laughing

I had a diaphram years ago and I hated that stupid thing!
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 11:54 pm
Hey Montana, thanx for your reply. What is your IUD made of? And ... how often does it have to be changed?

An upside of the implant is that I don't menstruate at all. No period for 5 years is bliss! If, in the case of this IUD, I menstruated once every 21 days that would be a bit of a drag but certainly one that I could cope with.
Altho, in the bad old days, I used to get terrible cramping ... which was another reason for signing up for the implant.

Did you feel any side effects at all?

-- thanks again! jazz
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:17 am
Mine is permanant and it was only placed once. It's good forever and it's made of a kind of plastic.

As I said before, there are different ones, so you'd have to look into those.

I never had any side effects at all except for a little extra bleeding and that 21 day cycle.

In my case, I had severe cramps before I had the IUD (curl up on the couch in a ball and cry cramps) and my cramps have been very very mild since I've had the IUD. That was a huge plus for me.
Before the IUD, my cramps were terrible enough to where I'll never forget, so the IUD has been my friend in that area, for sure!
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:52 am
Wow, Montana. That is awesome. Um, what brand is it (if you don't mind me asking!) ... and did you just go to your GP to have it inserted? I think I need to investigate this particular IUD with some gusto!

I also used to have incapactitating cramps .. I'd curl up on the floor and howl. Erk. Ghastly.

Thanks a bunch,
jazz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:01 am
I was pregnant by a rapist with a recent vasectomy. I suppose I could write a book, but I won't. Nearly the stuff of comedy, but not.

Watch all your asses.

This will be taken as yet another weird osso post, but, no kidding.
I plan not to fill data out on this, and it was a long time ago. The last line, watch your asses, is the most useful.

and, Gus, sweet, I'd prefer parts or all of this post not be your new signature.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:40 am
Watch your asses is pretty good advice, osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:44 am
Another forty years and I could start to write comedy about it.

Whatever, watch your asses, and watch your choices.

Ok, maybe just ten or twenty years until I can begin to make comedy of it. It's been decades now, and I need to make this into jokes before I crump myself. On the other hand, if anyone else does, I'll be offended.

Such is the nature of comedy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 05:29 am
oh osso.... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 05:33 am
Montana, glad to hear of your success with the IUD.

Question though, if yours is permanent, it's just the device, and hasn't be treated with anything, right?

Why then the period every 21 days? How is it moving your ovulation date up? Or is the movement of the IUD shortening the time between ovulation and menses (helping with the housecleaning...ew).

One more thing....thanks you guys....I had a dream I was pregnant last night.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:41 am
jazzieB123 wrote:
Wow, Montana. That is awesome. Um, what brand is it (if you don't mind me asking!) ... and did you just go to your GP to have it inserted? I think I need to investigate this particular IUD with some gusto!

I also used to have incapactitating cramps .. I'd curl up on the floor and howl. Erk. Ghastly.

Thanks a bunch,
jazz

You're very welcome :-D

I don't think I ever knew the brand, but no, my doc didn't do it. I don't remember the name of the doc who placed it, but my doc said he was a big shot where IUD's were concerned.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:52 am
Chai wrote:
Montana, glad to hear of your success with the IUD.

Question though, if yours is permanent, it's just the device, and hasn't be treated with anything, right?

Why then the period every 21 days? How is it moving your ovulation date up? Or is the movement of the IUD shortening the time between ovulation and menses (helping with the housecleaning...ew).

One more thing....thanks you guys....I had a dream I was pregnant last night.

Laughing Yes, it's just a device that needs no treatment. I wish I could draw it out, but it's a very simple looking coil shaped thing.
What happens when it's incerted is it convinces your body that it's already pregnant, or something like that and I can't remember why the 21 day cycle.

After I've gone through my menopause, I'll have it removed, just because I won't need it. (not that I do anyway, but I might get lucky some day)

If I dreamed I was pregnant, I'd probably have a heart attack Laughing
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:22 am
Thanks, Montana, for the info. I'm going to price some IUDs and see how it goes. So many choices .... jeeze.

Oh, btw. I asked husb last night if he had thought any more about the 'condom discussion' we'd had some months back, b/c gee whiz. It might be nice to actually have sex one of these days. He said we never even had the conversation. Which is complete twaddle. We had the conversation twice. I recounted every word of the convo back to him to jog his memory. He just rolled over and went to sleep. Seems like I'm the only one who cares about contraception. Perhaps we should just do the business, all carefree-like, and THEN deal with the consequences, as awful as they'd be.

I was not impressed.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:26 am
I wouldn't be very impressed either. It doesn't sound fair at all!

I feel for ya!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:27 am
Oh, and you're welcome.

I wish you the very best in your situation.
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:47 pm
Hey Montana - I Googled some of the IUDs out there (esp the Merina) and I'm filled with dread. Most of their sites say that a woman has to have had one pregnancy, otherwise it won't fit - or insertion will be v painful. I've never had a child, so I'm going to skip the IUD thing altogether.

I'm going to opt for the Depo shot. Has anyone else out there had it? If so, I'm keen to know if it was a good or bad experience.

My health insurance is as good as useless and doesn't cover contraceptive devices (even the Pill is only partially covered) so the shot looks like the most cost effective solution with the lowest failure rate.

I still have a contraceptive implant in my arm - which is no longer effective, but as my health insurance doesn't cover its removal, I'll have to wait until I can afford to get it removed...by which time it will likely be wedged in and covered in scar tissue. Jeeze. Is it just me or is contraception in this country an expensive nightmare? Sigh.

Anyway. Would love to hear feedback re the Depo shot if anyone has had it Wink Thank you so much for reading my whinge.

- jazz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:12 am
Jazzie--

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Is it possible that your husband secretly wants to be a daddy?

Regardless, the Nature of the Beast that You Love is that he's not a condom shopper. If you want condoms on Saturday night, you're going to have to be the one who goes to the drugstore.

Some men are gardeners. Some are not. Some men think to give you flowers. Some men don't. Some men shop for condoms. Some men don't. You win some, you lose some, you have a few draws.

Of course you want him to share the responsibility for contraception. He doesn't want to. You feel as though your sex life isn't a matter of much concern for your husband. You may be right.

My guess is that your present sexless state, a not-meeting of the bodies, is a reflection of a not-meeting of the minds.

Is he aware that you're not delighted with living away from friends and family? Does he have family close by? How long are you likely to stay where you are?

Don't worry about long answers to short questions. Life is a complicated business and deserves to be taken seriously.
0 Replies