What were the main ideological causes of World War II?

Foofie

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:23 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Foofie wrote:
What's my point? German-Americans are just Americans of German descent. Everyone in the U.S. is American of some "descent." Let's put the emphasis on the correct sy-llab-le. We are Americans!

I dunno Foofie. Where I grew up, if you answered the question, "What are you?" with "American" you had to be tough. (Nobody liked WASPS.) This is, of course, all gone now with all the PC platitudes that have replaced real words for nationality and just about everything else. However I rather liked the old way.

The novel (a trilogy) Studs Lonigan, by James T. Farrell really gives a picture of one class of 1920's Chicago Irish. A nice novel; however, with the rate of intermarriage of the young, the old ethnic identities are being replaced, I believe, with just religious identities.

In my own opinion, the sooner an ethnic group decides to use WASP's as a role model, the quicker that ethnic group advances.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:36 am
Foofie wrote:
In my own opinion, the sooner an ethnic group decides to use WASP's as a role model, the quicker that ethnic group advances.

I would say imitate and outsmart - it wasn't that hard.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:44 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Foofie wrote:

I would say imitate and outsmart - it wasn't that hard.

I didn't mean to be adversaries of WASP's; just imitate them. You know the old story of the Jewish country club built across the road from the "restricted" country club. One doesn't have to compete with anyone in this very large country. There's enough room for everyone. No one has to march into a Sudetanland for lebensraum.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 11:00 am
from personal experience :

we've been in canada for over 50 years and travelled quite a bit on the eastern side of the U.S. - and also spent some time in texas .
of course , we still have a strong german accent - sometimes being mistaken for dutch , which we don't mind at all .
quite often when we've exchanged more than a few casual words with americans , we've been asked about our heritage - and see no reson to deny that we came from germany .

almost always we are being told : "my grandpa , grandma , uncle , aunt ... ... came from germany about .... " .
some people still speak a bit of german or took german in highschool .
particularly in texas - austin and san antonio area - there was a strong presence of "german ancestors" .
in new braunfels we were being welcomed to a german settlers museum IN GERMAN ! - to our great astonishment .

we've certainly been welcomed where ever we 've travelled in the U.S. and found no - personal - resentment against germans .
hbg

you may find this of some interest :

TEXAS GERMAN DIALECT PROJECT

here is a link to the NEW BRAUNSFELD MUSEUM where we were greeted in - flawless - german :

SOPHIENBURG MUSEUM

Quote:
Dedicated to preserve the history of the settlement of New Braunfels by "The Society for the Protection of German Emigrants to Texas" in 1844-1847 and the subsequent development of this city and area of Texas
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 03:51 pm
hbg, Fredericksburg is German through and through; only a short drive from Austin. There's also a very good German restaurant in San Antonio not far from the Alamo.
0 Replies