What were the main ideological causes of World War II?

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:45 am
It all depends where you come from. In Finland the cause of WWII was the Russians invading the country (very tersely put).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:44 pm
Them Russian boys ain't exactly good neighbors, huh?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 01:13 pm
two books written by the british writer PHILIP GIBBS (see link) give a good deal of background information of some of the causes that lead to WW II .
it is worth noting that these books were written and published in the early 1930's ,BEFORE WW II started , so they are not just some historian's point of view but reflect what his experiences and thoughts were at that time .
our local library still carries these books - in the dank cellars . they were happy to retrieve them for me .
i certainly found the books very interesting . they helped me gain a better understanding of some of the causes of that terrible war .
hbg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

European journey; by Philip Gibbs; being the narrative of a journey in France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Germany, and the Saar, in the spring and summer of 1934. With an authentic record of the ideas, hopes, and fears moving in the minds of common folk and expressed in wayside conversations
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
England Speaks , being talks with road-sweepers , barbers , lords and ladies ... the man in the street ... and all manner of folk of humble and exalted rank
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they should be available for a few dollars in many used book stores .

(he has written quite a number of other books also)

...PHILIP GIBBS...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 01:42 pm
There were two primary causes of WW2.

The humiliating of Germany by the Versailles Treaty. Farmerman is right to say WW1 begat WW2.

Second the meglomanaical messianic demagogery of one A Hitler.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
I haven't read through the entire thread, but it is true that the Germans felt that they were defeated at the peace table and not on the battlefield.

Woodrow Wilson made many concessions to gain support for the League of Nations only to have his plan defeated in the U. S. If I'm not mistaken it was Henry Cabot Lodge who cast the deciding vote.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 02:36 pm
I'd say Steve has it right in a nutshell.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:04 pm
Letty wrote:
Woodrow Wilson made many concessions to gain support for the League of Nations only to have his plan defeated in the U. S. If I'm not mistaken it was Henry Cabot Lodge who cast the deciding vote.

Wilson need two thirds of the Senate to get approval for the treaty. Since the Democrats didn't have two thirds of the seats in the Senate, he needed to do some good, old-fashioned horse trading with the Republicans, but he was too stiff-necked to do it. Instead, he went around the country, stumping for approval, and basically indirectly threatening Republican Senators in their own constituencies. He virtually assured the defeat of the treaty because he was too pig-headed to play nice with the political opposition.

The blame for the failure of the United States to participate in the League of Nations rests squarely with Woodrow Wilson.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:45 pm
Letty writes:

Well, I am certainly not going to disagree with a baby in an afuzz fez with a face like Winston Churchill. Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:17 pm
Winston Churchill ? ! ? ! ?

Gimme a cee-gar . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:35 pm
looking like winston ... ?

http://www.school-for-champions.com/biographies/images/churchill1.gif

btw winston was born two months prematurely - he sure made up for it in later life .
hbg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:07 am
hamburger's picture is of the older Churchill. Baby set looks like him when still First Sea Lord.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:45 am
is this more like "baby set" ?

http://www.cwgc.co.uk/Churchill001.jpg

not too far off , is it ? Laughing
0 Replies

Niles

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:04 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:08 am
To whom are you addressing your remarks? This thread was started a year ago by someone who posted twice, and never returned. Your response is the first response in 11 months.

Great, just what we needed, another religious fanatic.
0 Replies

Niles

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:15 am
hey man sorry to bother you, I'm not actually affiliated with any religion first of all. i just know alot about some of them. i didn't look at the date so now i feel like a knob . i just like to find people online that are in forums being hateful because of there religions and give them a little scripture that tells them what they are doing is wrong. i was refering to pyramid when i posted that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:27 am
Well, i can't blame you for reacting to him that way. However, that joker posted 16 times, and hasn't posted since April of last year.

If you are responding to someone in particular, you can hit the button above the offensive post which is labeled "quote," and then respond to that person in a manner which will let everyone know just which particular crackpot you object to. Otherwise, none of us crackpots will know for sure to whom you are responding.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 08:10 am
Steve 41oo wrote:

The humiliating of Germany by the Versailles Treaty. Farmerman is right to say WW1 begat WW2.

Yes, and shouldn't Hitler's belief that in the far future (in a century or two, or three) the Slavic nations would be stronger than Germany, and defeat Germany in some war. There was an element of preventive maintenance in these beliefs, I believe.

There was also the belief that was being proselytized by the early Nazis that Germany should return to the ways of the old Teutonic heroes of the Germanic operas, as was shown in the annual Bayreuth Festival. This afforded the rationale for Aryan superiority.

And, there was also the desire to colonize Russia with ethnic Germans (Russians could have used up the Zyclon-B gas that was found in abundance in the death camps; much more than what was needed to exterminate the remaining Jews in Europe).

Perhaps, the short answer is just the Nazi party, and its belief system. Without the Nazi party (and Hitler), Germany would likely have not rearmed between the two world wars.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:32 am
Foofie wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

Yes, and shouldn't Hitler's belief that in the far future (in a century or two, or three) the Slavic nations would be stronger than Germany, and defeat Germany in some war. There was an element of preventive maintenance in these beliefs, I believe.

There was also the belief that was being proselytized by the early Nazis that Germany should return to the ways of the old Teutonic heroes of the Germanic operas, as was shown in the annual Bayreuth Festival. This afforded the rationale for Aryan superiority.

And, there was also the desire to colonize Russia with ethnic Germans (Russians could have used up the Zyclon-B gas that was found in abundance in the death camps; much more than what was needed to exterminate the remaining Jews in Europe).

Perhaps, the short answer is just the Nazi party, and its belief system. Without the Nazi party (and Hitler), Germany would likely have not rearmed between the two world wars.
Your first sentence isnt one.

The rest of your post is aimless rambling.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:51 pm
Quote:
Without the Nazi party (and Hitler), Germany would likely have not rearmed between the two world wars.

the nazi party would not have been able to re-arm germany without the support of the german industrialists (the krupp family and others) .
the support given by foreign industrialists also came in handy .
have you ever read any history books WRITTEN AND PUBLISHED in the united kingdom during that time ? you may be surprised to learn that there was fairly strong support for hitler and his party in certain influential circles of the united kingdom . it was thought "that there was order being maintained" in germany during hitler's early reign - something somewhat lacking in the u.k. at that time .
many british unemployed also thought that germany was on the right path by giving work to many unemployed people (there was much unemployment in britain during that time . most of the clyde shipyard workers were without work for many years , just as an example) .

some books by the british writer PHILIPP GIBBS give a good insight into that period of time . one of his books written and published in 1935 is called : ENGLAND SPEAKS , being talks with roadsweepers , barbers , statesmen , lords and ladies ... ... and all manner of folk of humble and exalted rank . it is also called : a panorama of the english scene in the year of grace 1935 .
another one of his books that i found very interesting is called : EUROPEAN JOURNEY - it was written about the same time .
a book i am currently reading again , written by MELVYN BRAGG , is called : SPEAK FOR ENGLAND - an oral history of england 1900 - 1975 .

i certainly enjoyed reading those books very much , and i like to read some of the chapters again from time-to-time - there is something to be learned from history imo .
hbg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:36 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

Your first sentence isnt one.

The rest of your post is aimless rambling.

Funny, coming from someone who is a citizen of the island nation that dealt with V-2's every night at that time. It appears to me you are making light of a belief system that would have enslaved your country.
0 Replies