FIRST A2K STRAW POLL White House 2008

Kara

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:24 pm
DTOM, I'll make a few comments about Edwards but I must say that I am still laughing over your addlepated mouth-breather post. It is ridiculous and focused on his obvious weaknesses...the poor guy is dyslexic (nothing personal, dys...) and totally out of his league, and we should not jump on this stuff, except that he is our president, and I listen to him (not often) and wonder, really wonder, howinhell he ever got to where he is. When he said today that Gonzales acquited himself well, I was unbelieving.

We watched Edwards in his first run for the presidency and were appalled. His ambition was naked and obvious, and I wondered (as I have with other enormously rich office-seekers,) if he thinks that money, youth (with an attractive face and good hair,) and a somewhat slick articulateness are all it takes to run this country. I have heard no foreign policy speeches or thoughts about where we as a country ought to see ourselves in this world.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:03 am
For the last 6 years I wake up every day wondering who would vote for Bush. Then after the shootings in the east I was listening to the local talk show and person after person called in to say if I had had my sixshooter and my white cowboy hat and boots I would have shot that gunman before he had time to hurt any one. After listening to caller after caller saying the same thing for two solid hours I began to realize that a large portion of the electorate are mongoloid idiots. Thats why presidents like Bush are elected.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:04 am
I don't listen to talk radio myself... but reading posts from people who do; I frequently realize the same.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:36 am
"Things aren't looking good for Republicans. John McCain's campaign is in free fall. Mitt Romney got caught making up those stupid hunting stories. Rudy Giuliani's been married three times. In fact, the Republican candidates are doing so badly, Democrats are gonna have to work extra hard to screw up this next election." --Jay Leno...

Hopefully, Ralph Nader will stay out of this election.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:50 am
Rudy in his effort to gain traction with the conservatives and religious right is flip flopping. IMO it will do him no good with those groups and lose him the support of some middle of the road voters who might have voted for him. Depending on who was the democratic candidates I might have voted for him. His recent shall I say changes of heart definitely precludes that possibility.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:11 am
Kara wrote:
DTOM, I'll make a few comments about Edwards but I must say that I am still laughing over your addlepated mouth-breather post. It is ridiculous and focused on his obvious weaknesses...the poor guy is dyslexic (nothing personal, dys...) and totally out of his league, and we should not jump on this stuff, except that he is our president, and I listen to him (not often) and wonder, really wonder, howinhell he ever got to where he is. When he said today that Gonzales acquited himself well, I was unbelieving.

my description really is based on his intellect, or lack of one, rather than his inability to utter a complete sentence without a week's preparation.

"the decider" has made some decidedly bad decisions in nearly every circumstance (sorry. no way to get a fourth "deci" based word in there. :wink:). that's okay if we're talking about the boxboy putting eggs in the bottom of the bag; but his apparent inability to use inquiring mind, take in well rounded sources of information and do a little analysis, without excessive handholding, is why i described him as an "addle-pated
mouth-breather". to me, there's a big difference between decisiveness and petulance.

like you, i wonder how he ever got anywhere, let alone to the white house. even with his dad's influence. even bigger mystery is how anyone still backs the guy...

the gonzales thing? more alternate reality stuff.

Kara wrote:
We watched Edwards in his first run for the presidency and were appalled. His ambition was naked and obvious, and I wondered (as I have with other enormously rich office-seekers,) if he thinks that money, youth (with an attractive face and good hair,) and a somewhat slick articulateness are all it takes to run this country. I have heard no foreign policy speeches or thoughts about where we as a country ought to see ourselves in this world.

mmm, not sure that having money is either a good thing or a bad thing on it's own merit. if nothing else, it's fair to consider that edwards wasn't born into it as some others have been.

you may be correct re; edwards foreign policy. i've heard a litle, but he seems to be spending his time now talking about domestics, which have been suffering over the last several years, imho.

but we're still early on here, and we'll see how folks do when the debates startup.

thanx for clearing that up for me..

Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:13 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I don't listen to talk radio myself... but reading posts from people who do; I frequently realize the same.

arrrrrghhhhh. talk radio makes me crazy! rather hear tunes.

how ya doin' these days bill ?
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:25 pm
Kara wrote:
dys, I love Kucinich. Even more, I love Ralph Nader, a totally brilliant guy who is doggedly unappealing to voters and would probably screw up royally if he was governing. We need bright secular men or women who can win and then govern as leaders, not followers. Is it even possible for a leader to slough off all of the influences and the money -- without those, he could perhaps not ever be elected -- and walk ten steps ahead of us? I think Clinton was one of those but we were too provincial to accept his peccadilloes. I was, too. I remember recoiling at his blatant recklessness and then wondering later if that was really a small thing, not an issue that affected his national and international focus.

You call Clinton's behavior, "blatent recklessness"! What, the Republicans were sneakier? Picture Newt Gingrich, Speaker of the house, at the same time he was impeaching Clinton, for having sex, Newt was carrying on an affair with HIS AIDE, while his wife, was dying of cancer! To make matters worse, he asked his wife for a divorce, while she was dying! He MARRIED the aide! He is having an affair NOW, with someone else and is divorcing his paramour during the Clinton, era! Did it get the press, Clinton, got? NO! One of the other impeachers, was found to have had a son "out of wedlock", while waving his fists at Clinton! He said it was a "youthful indescretion"! He was 41 at the time! Clinton, having sexual pecadilloes? What about the Repug from Florida, trying to lure the congressional PAGES; Mr. Foley, I presume! Clinton? Look at the Repugs! They invented scandal! Enron, warrantless wiretaps, 9 billion in cash, that can't be accounted for in Iraq! How's about Abramhoff and Bush's connectins to the Saudis? Scandals? I got a million of 'em! Cool
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:32 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Well, you?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:44 pm
McCain's joke about bombing Iran really bombed. He is sinking by the moment.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:47 pm
Advocate wrote:
McCain's joke about bombing Iran really bombed. He is sinking by the moment.

I agree! Cool
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:50 pm
I liked it... I also like that they heard it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:52 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Well, you?

fine..still lookin' down at the grass, as we say down home. ;8 > )-
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 04:29 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Well, you?

One day, working in someone's home where talk radio apparently filled her mornings, a caller phoned in to give his opinion on some discussion of guns and he reminded listeners that there was a constitutional protection for gun ownership.

This was in Canada and the caller Canadian.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 08:17 am
blatham wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Well, you?

One day, working in someone's home where talk radio apparently filled her mornings, a caller phoned in to give his opinion on some discussion of guns and he reminded listeners that there was a constitutional protection for gun ownership.

I notice you are a Vancouverite, working in Manhatten. What pray tell, brought you here? I am in the meropolitan area, 55 miles from NYC, as the crow flies! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 09:48 am
teenyboone

That migratory pattern may well explain why I've seen no crows here in Manhattan.

Came here about two years ago with a ladyfriend who was setting up a psychoanalytic practice here.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 04:43 pm
blatham wrote:

parrots. america's newest export ?

i really don't get the whole gun / amendment paranoia. i'm a gun owner and have had to register them all from the first back in '70s.

big deal.

i still support a more rigorous process in people attaining them. of course, every american has the right to own one, but common sense dictates that (A) not every person is mentally fit / responsible enough to actually be allowed to posess one; or (B) or that it is appropriate for civilians to have military grade heavy weapons.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 06:21 am
blatham wrote:
teenyboone

That migratory pattern may well explain why I've seen no crows here in Manhattan.

Came here about two years ago with a ladyfriend who was setting up a psychoanalytic practice here.

Loved that reponse! Cool
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:16 am
is Obama support real?
I just looked at the poll results gathered so far. Can it be possible that the vote is being stacked in his favor or can Obama be leading this poll by such a plurality?

Is ballot-box-stuffing possible here? If so, it sure would be disappointing if that's what his 2.5:1 ratio lead is about. I will state that I do feel it's possible, however, that he could capture many A2K-ers imagination and support. I wonder if that will translate to actual votes in a primary.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:52 am
As a matter of interest, all the announced Dem candidates will debate this coming Thursday. I believe that MSNBC will cover it, and Brian Williams will be moderating. The Reps will debate next month.
0 Replies