FIRST A2K STRAW POLL White House 2008

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:45 pm
I'm liking a lot about Richardson, which of course may bode quite ill for his chances. Will try to make a list of his views with links one of these days.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:17 pm
Hey, there's three votes for McCain. I dont think any McCain supporter spoke up yet - who voted for him? I'm curious.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:25 pm
Maybe they don't want to admit it? It wasn't me I can assure you.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:27 pm
Ron Paul.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:41 pm
nimh wrote:
Hey, there's three votes for McCain. I dont think any McCain supporter spoke up yet - who voted for him? I'm curious.
It was probably Snood, Hobitbob and Pistoff. :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:45 pm
Hobitbob and Pistoff? Man, you have a long memory.. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:50 pm
As do you, I see. Btw, I finally saw your "Why Iraq" thread and answered it last night.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:01 pm
I picked McCain.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:25 am
McGentrix wrote:
I picked McCain.

Why?

Joe(besides the fact that he's the only man left in your Party Razz )Nation
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:18 am
Joe Nation wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I picked McCain.

Why?

We wear the same brand of underwear.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:57 am
McGentrix wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I picked McCain.

Why?

We wear the same brand of underwear.

TMI
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:18 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
nimh wrote:
2PacksAday wrote:
I'm an {R} other.....Fred Thompson.

Tell me more? I know very little about him..

Well, he is best known for his acting...a few tv shows and several movies....Oh'god another actor turned politician....nah, he has very little in common with Reagan or Arnold...not a slight at either, but Fred is an educated/intelligent man.

He actually is a lawyer, somehow he got involved in the Watergate hearings {prosecution side} and helped take Nixon down...then he made a name for himself in some high profile cases back home in Tenn.

He's a big guy, 6'6...that's two meters, and just has this hard ass persona that appeals to many of us...I've watched him in a few televised Senate debates....impressive...excellent ass chewer, no matter what side of the isle his chewie is from. Now he may, very well be different "off camera" and it all could be a show, but I really don't think so.

When he is acting, the characters that he tends to play are basically interchangeable, FBI, Judges...government types...and when on a talk show...he is the same guy/character as you see on film. Yeah, kinda like John Wayne, but a better actor and a lot smarter....when Gore was picked for VP, Fred took his seat in the Senate, and then won the seat for a second term....and since then, he has been highly sought after for a white house bid.

I would guess that many of the same people...at least on my side of things, that wished for Powell to make a run, are also Thompson backers. Honestly, I can't recite his stance on issues...no clue...but I do not recall ever being disappointed when something he says or does hits the news.

In the "Is Obama Black Enough" thread, I almost mentioned Fred along with Yaphet Kotto as my dream team whitehouse runners....but I didn't want to sound too kooky. {as in, we should vote in the Professor from Gilligans Island because he was smart...kind of kooky} In the post I'm referring to, it may have seemed like I was just joking...me wanting Yaphet {also an actor} to run for prez....but I was somewhat serious. More for the natural charisma of the man than anything else....Fred and Yaphet are very similar in that sense.

Just a note, Yaphet is also listed as being 6'6....just saw him a few nights ago in "Midnight Run" with Robert De Niro...standing face to face, made Bobby look like a 12 yr old boy.

Thanks for your answer, 2Packs - sorry I didnt come back earlier. Its interesting to hear what kind of considerations bring someone to a preference. Its clear why you like him.

For me, these kinds of answers - like Mysteryman's explanations about why he'd have supported Bayh, for example, too - are fascinating also because they accentuate, to me, how different the American political system is from ours.

It seems to really be much more focused on personality, and much less on, well, politics - issues, someone's political "colour".

And before it looks like I'm reading way too much in one or two persons' posts, it's not just you. Take the article that JPB pasted in after you talked about Fred Thompson. It goes on six long paragraphs, and yet when I finished reading it, I still didnt know anything about Thompson's politics. Beyond that he is a Republican who "stimulate[d] interest [..] among the conservatives who view him as acceptable and among the moderates who point out that he has never been reactionary"- and how vague is that? - zilch.

The whole discourse or frame of reference about what is, or who would make, a good president appears to be focused very differently than ours about our Prime Minister. More about: is he a capable guy? Does he look like he would get a job done - whatever job, really? Apart from specific constituencies (the religious right, the anti-war left, remaining yellow dog Democrats), it's less about: does he think like me? Does he share my convictions?

Sure we have plenty of coverage about the various political leaders' characteristics in Holland too (including, for example, in 2003, Labour Party leader Wouter Bos's "cute ass"), and there is a share of floating voters who let their vote be guided by trust in this or that person. But it's a relatively limited, if increasing, share - and they mostly float between different leftwing parties, or different MOR or rightwing parties - it's an exceptional case that you'll see any significant numbers float from left to right and back purely on whether they like the guy.

As a result, and I'm sure this is partly a cultural difference, any portrait of an upcoming politician equivalent to the Boston Herald piece JPB posted would definitely have more meat to it when it comes to identifying the guy's actual politics.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:18 pm
And a big thank you to everyone else for coming in and posting your choice, as well! All very interesting.

(And McGentrix, sorry if there seemed to be any mocking in my McCain post - I was really just interested in who the posters were who opted for him, since I couldnt think of any McCain supporters from the top of my head. No slight intended whatsoever.)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:19 am
Nimh, anytime you need an opinion, or a peek at the thought process behind a truly superficial/shallow American...I'm your man. wink

I have very little faith in someone remaining a true individual once they get to DC {even before, if they are a career politician}....with "party" voting being the rule of the land, I just don't see them voting their conscious. That would apply more toward congress, than the presidency, but even the president has to get along with his fellow party members....and what percentage of his own ideas/desires does he have to suppress to do so.

During the campaign, they have a small army of advisors, speech writers, pollsters...stylist....etc...following them around whispering in their ear, and flat out putting words in their mouths.... where does the real candidate begin or end? I don't put a lot of stock in what the candidates say while on the trail, some seem to swing 60 degrees from start to finish. Nor do I like the year plus campaign season either, start it in Sep, wrap it up in Nov, and I'd like to see it debate heavy...once a week.

If there were a guy out there, traveling alone, shouting from soapboxes on street corners across the nation...and I of course somewhat agreed with his basic platform, I would cast my vote in his favor. I like "real", not production in these matters....and I do see the irony of wanting yet another actor in office, while despising the phoniness that hollywood types are all too well known for....maybe I am a bit kooky.

IRL, I am often described as strong and silent, I probably do project that image...being that I am a calm/quiet guy, but I really don't see myself that way....perhaps half the time. Anyway, regardless if I am one of "them" or not, I do tend to gravitate towards those who actually do posess that type of personality.

I'm sitting here thinking of my three closest friends, they are all successful business men, reserved, and either currently are or at one time were community leaders {mayor, fire chief, city council} and undeniably strong willed.

So yeah, I'm big on character, and in politics issues are a secondary concern. I tend to lean toward the guy that I "think" won't get swayed quite so easy..."I'm my own man, I make my own decisions", kind of guy...and then hope he thinks along similar lines as I do.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:02 am
I voted Republican--Other for now as I still hope for a new Reagan to emerge from the crowd. If that doesn't happen, my vote for now will likely go to Rudi as the most electable of the front runners and I wouldn't have to hold my nose to vote for him. Of those listed, Gingrich is probably the best educated and holds the brightest and most positive vision for what America can be, but he has so much personal baggage I doubt he would ever be given a chance to get past that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
2PacksAday wrote:
Nimh, anytime you need an opinion, or a peek at the thought process behind a truly superficial/shallow American...I'm your man. wink

Oh, 2Packs... I didnt mean it like that... I hope that was clear... if it wasnt, I apologize. I did not mean to put your choice or your perspective down at all. Thats why I emphasised that this was likely mostly a cultural difference - ie, not something about you, but something about the difference in how our respective systems have grown and evolved... it was the article that JPB quoted more than anything else that I reacted to.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:36 am
I just saw a discussion on TV that a viable candidate should have at least $75 million available. This, I think, is going to eliminate a lot of, if you will, fringe candidates. I would place Newt, Richardson, Thompson, Dodd, et al., in this category.

It is easy to vote for McCain, since he has embraced every position there is at some time or another. Rudi could be the guy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 09:06 am
2PacksAday wrote:
I have very little faith in someone remaining a true individual once they get to DC {even before, if they are a career politician}....with "party" voting being the rule of the land, I just don't see them voting their conscious.

On substance, my answer would be that I think this is the crux of the cultural or personal difference. I see nothing wrong with party voting. I want a political leader to implement his party's platform. Thats why I voted him in for.

Why? Because a party is a large community of voters and members like me, who collectively come together on the basis of shared political convictions. And I trust a community of peers a lot more than the one single person, however exceptional he might be.

Its those political ideas that I share with the other voters of this party that I want to be translated to policy, and that is the reason why I would want my party's leader to become the Prime Minister - not because I think he might be a swell guy. At most, the leader's personality might keep me from voting for him/his party, if he is outright unsympathetic - but my choice of who I then do vote for will again be primarily guided by political conviction.

I would never be ready to trust the one single person, with all the quirks and pet preferences and ability to have a change of heart or conviction mid-stream that any individual by nature has, enough to say - ok, I think you're a good person, just go ahead and vote your conscience for four years - do whatever your personal conscience tells you is right. Unh-huh. A member of parliament, OK, he can vote his conscience, it's probably even good to infuse some independence in the process, and he's just going to be 1 out of 150 anyway. But I would never feel at ease with any one single person wielding the power of a Prime Minister, let alone such tremendous power as the US President has, receiving such a carte blanche.

I want the power to act of any single person who has executive power to be controlled by what his party as a whole stands for, and was elected in for - and then, of course, the power of that party (even my own) to be moderated by that of its coalition partners, and a strong parliament on top of that. I really just see the Prime Minister as our servant - the guy who was voted in to do what we want him to do, effectively. He'll have to balance being the representative of his party and that of the electorate as a whole, of course, but that's about it - and he's automatically forced to do that, by and large, by our system of coalition government anyway.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:34 pm
I took your comments as you meant them....and as usual, enjoyed them...hence the wink. In fact, I do know a few women that will vote on "looks" alone...drives me bonkers.

I am a small town conservative, I know a lot of people on a close personal level, and in most cases I emphasize the individual. Whereas at least from my vantage point, liberals, who usually hail from larger towns/cities, tend to emphasize the collective.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:45 pm
More on Fred Thompson --
Quote:
When Newt Gingrich wanted to dismiss Barack Obama, he did it in a phrase. Obama would make a great president, said the former House speaker, "if the country wants therapy." Like the claim that John Kerry "looks French" from the 2004 election, this quip works on many levels for GOP voters. It refuses to treat Obama seriously and paints his supporters as frail, emotional, and needy. It also reasserts a broader claim about the difference between the two parties: Republicans are adults focused on serious issues; Democrats engage in sentimental swooning that will get us all killed at night in our beds.

Given the self-image of conservatives, it's a little surprising, then, that so many are excited about Fred Thompson, a candidate whose chief qualification seems to be that he makes them feel good. The former Tennessee senator has less experience than all the other top GOP contenders and yet he is being talked about as the savior for a party that is unhappy with its current crop of candidates and its chances in 2008. Thompson has not entered the race, but in television appearances two weeks ago, he hinted that he might.

This flirtation has ignited talk, Web sites, and a draft movement led by former Tennessee Sens. Howard Baker and Bill Frist. In a recent Gallup poll, Thompson shot into third place ahead of Mitt Romney; he's done the same in polls in the early caucus state of Iowa. Romney, who looks even more like an actor playing a politician, must be depressed that Thompson has so quickly overtaken him, since the former Massachusetts governor spent a great deal of time gaining experiences and building a résumé that might actually be useful for a president. Slate Source

his politics -

Quote:

and a summary of his Voting Record while in the Senate
0 Replies