House in Disarray - Democrats Dazed

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:39 am
cjhsa wrote:
I hardly think that damming wild rivers is an example of being "green".

Greedy perhaps, but not green. It is extraordinarily high impact.

Bull. When you measure the impact on the region - which adjusts to the new flooded levels soon enough - in terms of impact/unit of energy produced, Hydro beats any polluting source hands down.

You don't think that the tons of coal smoke pumped into the air have a pernicious impact on the environment? Please

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 06:11 pm
cjhsa wrote:
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/programs/bdes/altamont/conditions.pdf

Read the whole thing.

Now, back to the topic.

Does anyone really believe that a house full of democrats can produce anything other than carbon waste?

Nothing in there to support your claim that it is a maintenance problem for wind turbines in that area. It is part of the schedule required under the permit that keeps them shut down.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:33 pm
Maybe I'm ignorant,but what exactly are carbon credits?
Does that mean that Gore is buying the energy someone else isnt using?

If thats what it is,then how is that saving anything?
He still has to pay to have ittransmitted to his house,whether its by pipeline or by electric line.
As I understand it,he uses 12 times the energy an average person uses,to heat or cool his house and to travel around the world on his private jets.

So,exactly how is he "offsetting" that with "carbon credits"?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:41 am
mysteryman wrote:

He still has to pay to have ittransmitted to his house,whether its by pipeline or by electric line.
As I understand it,he uses 12 times the energy an average person uses,to heat or cool his house and to travel around the world on his private jets.

Try likening it to something we could call "diet credits." Set that up where all fat gluttons that happen to be rich can pay other people to be skinny, so they can continue their own lifestyle.

So carbon credits allows people to preach environmentalism while they themselves do not have to suffer, they can continue to be more wasteful than most everybody else, but they can still feel good about doing something to "save the planet" and thus somehow have a clear conscience.

It could also be described as "Don't do as I do, but do as I say." Boiling it down a bit more to one word, "hypocrisy" describes it pretty well.

The fact that the blowhard, Gore, actually believes something so utterly preposterous, is in fact worrisome, and more worrisome still is that millions also swallow the same bilge.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 01:16 am
okie wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Try likening it to something we could call "diet credits." Set that up where all fat gluttons that happen to be rich can pay other people to be skinny, so they can continue their own lifestyle.

So carbon credits allows people to preach environmentalism while they themselves do not have to suffer, they can continue to be more wasteful than most everybody else, but they can still feel good about doing something to "save the planet" and thus somehow have a clear conscience.

It could also be described as "Don't do as I do, but do as I say." Boiling it down a bit more to one word, "hypocrisy" describes it pretty well.

The fact that the blowhard, Gore, actually believes something so utterly preposterous, is in fact worrisome, and more worrisome still is that millions also swallow the same bilge.

like yellowcake?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 03:11 am
Laughing Effectively, Gore pays not just the higher premium for his own energy; but also pays a self imposed stiff penalty for his excess usage by paying the difference for a significant number of other people who'd probably prefer to purchase the more expensive, more environmentally friendly Green Energy. The effect is: Gore makes up the difference environmentally so that his personal damage to the earth is no worse than the average man's... and probably less than most A2Kers. How you find something wrong with that is beyond me.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 07:17 pm
Talking about just how much the Democratic-led House is in disarray..

In an otherwise awful article that reminds me why I hardly ever read The Nation online, the author does make one important point thats well worth highlighting:

Quote:
Exiting Iraq: An Extraordinary Political Moment

Take a deep breath. The nation has arrived at an extraordinary political moment. The Congress is about to instruct the President he should withdraw from the ongoing war. Yes, I know the fine print in the House and Senate versions has lots of wiggle room. But the congressional action is still breathtaking when you think about it [..].

I assumed it would take many months and numerous failed efforts for the new Democratic majority to reach this juncture. [..] I remember the torturous struggle in the Sixties waged by congressional opponents--Republicans and Democrats--trying to end the war in Vietnam. Their first resolutions were mild and deferential, politely urging Lyndon Johnson to start negotiating for peace. They were rejected. Subsequent measures raised the ante, but it took years of frustrating failure to get Congress to speak clearly. By comparison, the shift in politics this time moved like lightning.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 07:19 pm
nimh wrote:
Talking about just how much the Democratic-led House is in disarray..

In an otherwise awful article that reminds me why I hardly ever read The Nation online, the author does make one important point thats well worth highlighting:

Quote:
Exiting Iraq: An Extraordinary Political Moment

Take a deep breath. The nation has arrived at an extraordinary political moment. The Congress is about to instruct the President he should withdraw from the ongoing war. Yes, I know the fine print in the House and Senate versions has lots of wiggle room. But the congressional action is still breathtaking when you think about it [..].

I assumed it would take many months and numerous failed efforts for the new Democratic majority to reach this juncture. [..] I remember the torturous struggle in the Sixties waged by congressional opponents--Republicans and Democrats--trying to end the war in Vietnam. Their first resolutions were mild and deferential, politely urging Lyndon Johnson to start negotiating for peace. They were rejected. Subsequent measures raised the ante, but it took years of frustrating failure to get Congress to speak clearly. By comparison, the shift in politics this time moved like lightning.

Remember one thing though,Congress does NOT have the authority to tell the President how to wage war,so their vote is meaningless.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 09:16 pm
The Dems are not in disarray regarding Iraq. Their plan is the plan of the Baker-Hamilton study group, the bilateral group that spent a large amount of time and money producing a plan for Iraq. Bush, however, feels that compliance with the plan would make him a loser. So he puts his own reputation over the good of the country.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:21 pm
Job approval for Congress is still in the tank - the last polls out by CBS, Newsweek and Gallup have it at 24-27%.

So have the Democrats effed up? Are they just as bad as the Republicans?

Uh-huh. Not even close.

Quote:
June 29, 2007

POLL: CNN on Congressional Democrats and Republicans

Yet more results from the latest CNN/ORC national survey (story, results) of 1,029 adults (conducted 6/22 through 6/24):

• Although fewer adults approve (42%) than disapprove (49%) "what the Democratic leaders in the U.S. House and Senate have done so far this year," a majority says it is good (57%) rather than bad (31%) "that the Democratic Party is in control of the Congress."

• The "Democratic Party" receives a net positive rating (51% favorable, 38% unfavorable), while the ratings of the "Republican Party" are net negative (36% favorable, 53% unfavorable).

• Among 907 registered voters, Democrats begin with a twelve point lead (53% to 41%) in the generic Congressional vote.

source
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 08:47 am
A CNN poll? YGTBKM. You might as well poll at the DNC.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 11:17 am
Waxman is a great man. He will now conduct a hearing on the news that private contractors in Iraq out number our military.

I guess this goes to the fact that we are short of soldiers. Absent a draft, which is pretty unlikely, we may be forced to withdraw from the ME.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 06:17 am
Erik T. Prince is a pretty interesting guy, eh?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:30 pm
Congress hits a new low with a flaming 14% approval and 83% say Congress is fair to poor. Bush's numbers puts Congress numbers to shame with 34 and 66:

http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/blog/polls/

"In the national survey of 1,012 likely voters,conducted July 12-14, about 66 percent said Bush had done only a fair or poor job as president, with 34 percent ranking his performance as excellent or good. "That is up slightly from his low of 30 percent in early March and in line with other national polls showing Bush's approval ratings lingering at or near historically low levels amid continued chaos and bloodshed in Iraq,'' Reuters reports..

"But the marks for Congress, mired in gridlock over a series of partisan political battles after Democrats took power in the 2006 elections, continued to drop,'' Reuters reports. "While 83 percent said Congress was doing a fair or poor job, just 14 percent rated it excellent or good. Last October, in its final days, the Republican-led Congress earned ratings of excellent or good from 23 percent of voters.''
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:33 pm
A party is disarray is no problem as it affects only the party but a nation in disarray thanks to Darth War_dodger is everyone's problem.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:35 pm
It is the Republicans who are obstructive.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:27 am
talk72000 wrote:
A party is disarray is no problem as it affects only the party but a nation in disarray thanks to Darth War_dodger is everyone's problem.

Its Congress, as well as party, talk. We're talking 14% approval rating for Congress, namely Nancy, Harry, and the boys, talk.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:36 am
talk72000 wrote:
It is the Republicans who are obstructive.

That may be,but since it is the job of the minority party to try and offer alternatives to everything the majority party wants,whats the problem.

THe majority party should be able,by strength of their majority,to overcome the minority party.
When the dems were in the minority,they used the same tactics as the repubs are now.
Except then the repubs were able to overcome many of the dems tactics.
If the dems cant do it now,then that is the dems problem, and the reason that congress's numbers are so low.

Especially after the dems made all of their promises when they got elected.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 09:10 pm
Democrats are the true representatives of the American people'smood. If more seats were open in 2006 the republicans would be out in droves. Darth War_dodger would be impeached if the Democrats had won more seats. Unfortunately the Senate only allowed 1/3 of its seats up for election. The media in control of Republican leaning owners just playing politics.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:47 am
Quote:
Unfortunately the Senate only allowed 1/3 of its seats up for election.

And you are blaming the repubs for this?

Here's a newsflash for you...thats the way the constitution says it has to be.

PS...The Constitution was written just over 200 years ago, long before there even was a repub party.
0 Replies