House in Disarray - Democrats Dazed

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:41 am
Gore is the Chairman of GIM, the firm he purchases his carbon credits from. GIM is an independent, private, owner-managed partnership.

So, he is chairman of a privately owned and managed company. Yeah, he owns it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:00 am
Oddly enough, lots of people buy goods or services from the company they own or work for.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:09 am
So, you don't find anything wrong with the prophet of global warming owning a company the sells carbon credits aimed at making rich people feel less guilty about their wasteful energy consumption?

Doesn't seem like a liberal position. I can only imagine the leftist uproar of this were Gore someone else.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:11 am
Gore is a partner in GIM, one of several. That doesn't mean he "owns" it. He doesn't control the operation. He doesn't control the investments. He chairs the board. Pretty much a figurehead position in a partnership unless you have more than 50% of the voting stock.

1. There is no guarantee that a partner in a business is presently making money. Most businesses don't make profit their first few years.
2. Putting your money into a company doesn't guarantee a return on that investment.
3. Putting money into an investment, which is what GIM does, doesn't guarantee a return.

4. You have NO EVIDENCE that Gore is getting paid anything for his relationship with GIM. You just want to attack him.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
McGentrix wrote:
So, you don't find anything wrong with the prophet of global warming owning a company the sells carbon credits aimed at making rich people feel less guilty about their wasteful energy consumption?

Doesn't seem like a liberal position. I can only imagine the leftist uproar of this were Gore someone else.

So, you have a problem with rich people investing in companies that produce green energy? Are you afraid they might get richer? Or are you afraid the technology will fail?

Either way, money has been spent to try to produce energy without using fossil fuels. I think that is a good thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:21 am
There is no such thing as green energy - at least not being mass marketed to the public. The closest thing is nuclear power.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:25 am
What would you call windmills?

http://www.trentmesa.com/
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:28 am
Raptor killers. They also require a shitload of maintenance. Most of the ones operating at Altamont are off more than on. The power industry loves the publicity and photo ops, hates the devices themselves. Too inconsistent.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
cjhsa wrote:
Raptor killers. They also require a shitload of maintenance. Most of the ones operating at Altamont are off more than on. The power industry loves the publicity and photo ops, hates the devices themselves. Too inconsistent.

Wind generators require almost no maintenance. In fact, I can't think of a single part that requires any ongoing or yearly maintenance. They run until they fail then they are fixed or replaced.

Please tell us what you think needs to happen once they are installed. How often do you do maintenance on the generator in your car? It isn't much different from a wind generator.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:38 am
Tell me then, why are then never on, other than lack of wind?

Inconsistent, unreliable power sources are despised by those that operate the grid. You can trust me on this - but you don't have to.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:39 am
cjhsa wrote:

I'm sorry, bu-- wait a minute. I'm not sorry.

You're full of crap. I got my energy from windmills in Austin (the Green Choice program AND the one I built in my backyard) for a long time. The utility company loved it, and so did we.

Raptor killers, what a maroon you are. You're just pissed the windmill got to the raptor before you could.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:41 am
What the hell is a maroon?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:55 am
cjhsa wrote:
Tell me then, why are then never on, other than lack of wind?

Inconsistent, unreliable power sources are despised by those that operate the grid. You can trust me on this - but you don't have to.

Find me a lack of wind in West Texas... Laughing

Drove by that wind farm a few weeks ago, saw only one with feathered blades. All the others were in operation.

You have anything to back up your claim other than personal anecdotes?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:58 am
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/programs/bdes/altamont/conditions.pdf

Read the whole thing.

Now, back to the topic.

Does anyone really believe that a house full of democrats can produce anything other than carbon waste?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:05 am
you being the poster boy for carbon waste I'll defer to your knowledge Razz
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:14 am
Quote:
Ensure the maximum feasible degree of wildlife protection while maintaining the efficient production of renewable energy.

Quote:
Strategy or technique:

a. Retrofitting electrical power poles and power lines to be compliant with the Edison Electric Institute's Avian Power Line Interaction Committee (APLIC), in order to prevent electrocution of birds;

Damn those wind turbines!

Wait, what?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:13 am
cjhsa wrote:
There is no such thing as green energy - at least not being mass marketed to the public. The closest thing is nuclear power.
Rolling Eyes Ever hear of Hoover Damn? You know; the hydro powered generation station that has probably created enough electricity in its life to power every household in the United States for a year...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:27 am
Sure have. Where do you propose we build the next one?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:31 am
a34561b2f7="cjhsan" wrote:
Just because you've come up with an excellent example of my error, Joe, won't keep me from continuing to make a$$holish comments, nosiree bob

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:37 am
I hardly think that damming wild rivers is an example of being "green".

Greedy perhaps, but not green. It is extraordinarily high impact.
0 Replies